I'll take two Black Belt Eagle Scouts please

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got my two boys, ages 6 and 7 in Karate and Cub Scouts. They recently finished swim lessons and I plan to start em in Little League Baseball and Archery. Am I becoming one of THOSE fathers? You know, the ones that push their kids too hard.

At this point they are interested in all of this and I'm not pushing but I wonder if it will prove to be too much. I especially don't want them to lose interest in Karate. I wonder if it will be overwhelming for me as well. I think the only activity that I will 'enforce' will be Martial Arts. Am I wrong? Just started thinking about this today.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any instructors out there that have kids in their classes that have burned out under these conditions? Any parents in similar situations?

And then of course there's Pop Warner Football just around the corner, lol.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a mother, a martial artist, and a martial arts instructor, I have to say, yes, it is too much. Karate, cub scouts, baseball, and archery? How about homework? And what about just hanging out, being a kid?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a couple of girls in our school, ages 11 and 13 that we're jokingly taking bets on how long before they both simply implode from all the activities to which they've been signed up. Once burn out sets in their performance will begin to suffer and affect their classmates as well. As long as they don't seem to be having problems doing all the things they WANT to do then keep on keeping on. As for not enforcing any of the activities...I agree. Obviously you aren't going to want them sitting on the couch all day playing video games. Activity of some sort is a must for their physical health alone, not to mention their emotional health. As Phoenix said, they still need time to just be kids.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have two sons who are very involved with many things. I suppose they're involved because I and my husband are involved as well. They're 14 and 12.

I love karate, caving, and target shooting with handguns/rifles. My husband loves motorcycling, ATVing, target shooting, and hunting.

Both sons are into karate, scouts, and target shooting. The oldest loves to go caving, snow skiing, and water waveboarding. He plays on football and soccer leagues and joins the school track team. He used to play the basketball league. The younger son enjoys motorcycling, ATVing, and soccer. He also loves computer gaming and is technically adept, just like his father (his father's occupation and love are computers).

In spite of our busy lives, I do permit all of us "down time" from doing our various activities. It permits us to disconnect at times and sometimes get away from the expectations that are inherit with some certain activities.

My sons know that homework and chores are priorities and these must be done first before all the other stuff.

- Ceicei

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Karate/Girls Scouts/Piano-Flute/Soccer/CCD here. Today's kids have waaaay too much to do, certainly more than we ever had. I'd like to see it cut back to just music and Martial Arts myself, but like your boys, my girls want all this stuff at the moment.

I think as long as the kids can take it, leave them in it. They get lots of just "being a kid" stuff during these activities from what I can see. When they start to complain often (not just occasional "I'll miss my TV show" stuff), then I'd take them out. The correlation here is that life itself is also an awful lot more complicated then when we were kids.

I used to play the guitar almost every waking second, and I had Little League baseball; that's it. My parents left work at work, had no cell phones, and no Internet email or buzzers or pagers or whatever. Life was slower for everyone. The stakes have really been raised for all of us. We notice it more in our relationship with our kids (We didn't do all that!) but we semi-ignore how much more we have to do ourselves than our parents did. I guess we should be thinking about our grandkids and the pace that awaits them!!

jim

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just one little thing...
Be sure to know the difference between what your kids WANT and what your kids WANT BECAUSE.
Since I was a little kid I have never been too much into consumerism, but many kids were and many more are today.
Many kids might show interest in MA because daddy does it, might show interest in Scouts because George the classmate does, want to learn to play guitar because other kids will come near me in school...and so on.
You can easily tell by how much the enjoy what they decide to do if they are doing it because they like it or for any other reason. Of course talking to them to investigate their real intentions is a must by the parents. As Theletch1 said you don't want to wait for them to implode.

Kids need to do everything. Sport, study, reading, play with friends, watch TV, play games that stimulate brain use, play video games and yes even being a couch potato.
It is up to parents to see that kids don't overdo or do too little...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really think you have to have your pulse on how much your kid can handle. Some kids don't have any problems at all being constantly occupied - in fact, if they weren't, they'd likely be disruptive or popping pills for ADHD.

I try to watch my kids for stress symptoms like overtraining, consistent or repetitive illness, depression, anxiety, temperment, grades, attitude, etcetera.

Some kids have a low requirement tolerance threshold and others do just fine for a long while. They'll reach a point where they have to make tough choices and back down a little and you'll know when that time will be.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is my take having three boys the more I have them involved in the less time they have to get into the wrong group, I'm with them always and I try my best to keep an eye on all there activities, which includes MA, skating skate boarding, biking baseball, soccor, and football, they enjoy swimming but that has no comprtition value what so ever just fun, They have about three hours every weekend to spend with the nieghbors kids and then it starts all over again, remember you have to be there as well, so both you and them must agree.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's a big difference between doing a lot of fun activities, and being involved in a lot of scheduled, organized activities. It's my understanding that we're talking about teams, lessons, classes, leagues, all of which require a time commitment and obligation. They're little boys, for cryin' out loud. Also, are they going to have any religious instruction? What does their mother think, BTW?

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I myself was very concerned about pushing my children to hard. I had them stick to one sport or hobby for a while. I alwayes said they can do what they want, but then I noticed them becoming TV and Video game junkies. They started to lack ambition in everything. So then I pushed them into triing things, and I don't let them quit until they truely experience what ever it is and put forth an effort in it. Now they pick the things they want to do and they give 100% at it. I say go ahead and push them. But they will need time to be kids and play thier own way. It's a fine line.

As far as Scouts go. Making Eagle has more to it than achieving a rank as a child. Eagle scouts get recognised in the military with rank thus getting more money. Eagle scout on a resume` does wonders. Making that rank will open many doors down the road. I'm nearing 40 and I still put Eagle Scout on my resume`. It's been a real help.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got my two boys, ages 6 and 7 in Karate and Cub Scouts. They recently finished swim lessons and I plan to start em in Little League Baseball and Archery. Am I becoming one of THOSE fathers? You know, the ones that push their kids too hard.

At this point they are interested in all of this and I'm not pushing but I wonder if it will prove to be too much. I especially don't want them to lose interest in Karate. I wonder if it will be overwhelming for me as well. I think the only activity that I will 'enforce' will be Martial Arts. Am I wrong? Just started thinking about this today.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any instructors out there that have kids in their classes that have burned out under these conditions? Any parents in similar situations?

And then of course there's Pop Warner Football just around the corner, lol.
It would depend on what you were trying to accomplish. Something has to give.
sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I myself was very concerned about pushing my children to hard. I had them stick to one sport or hobby for a while. I alwayes said they can do what they want, but then I noticed them becoming TV and Video game junkies. They started to lack ambition in everything. So then I pushed them into triing things, and I don't let them quit until they truely experience what ever it is and put forth an effort in it. Now they pick the things they want to do and they give 100% at it. I say go ahead and push them. But they will need time to be kids and play thier own way. It's a fine line.

As far as Scouts go. Making Eagle has more to it than achieving a rank as a child. Eagle scouts get recognised in the military with rank thus getting more money. Eagle scout on a resume` does wonders. Making that rank will open many doors down the road. I'm nearing 40 and I still put Eagle Scout on my resume`. It's been a real help.
Yeah, my daughter would prefer to eat only popcorn and chocolate if I let her decide "what she wants". LOL

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a mother, a martial artist, and a martial arts instructor, I have to say, yes, it is too much. Karate, cub scouts, baseball, and archery? How about homework? And what about just hanging out, being a kid?
Ouch. Your gonna really be irritated with me when I tell you I got them their first motorcycles (dirt bike). Snow skis will come this fall.
icon7.gif

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a couple of girls in our school, ages 11 and 13 that we're jokingly taking bets on how long before they both simply implode from all the activities to which they've been signed up. Once burn out sets in their performance will begin to suffer and affect their classmates as well. As long as they don't seem to be having problems doing all the things they WANT to do then keep on keeping on. As for not enforcing any of the activities...I agree. Obviously you aren't going to want them sitting on the couch all day playing video games. Activity of some sort is a must for their physical health alone, not to mention their emotional health. As Phoenix said, they still need time to just be kids.
I agree and so far it seems ok.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have two sons who are very involved with many things. I suppose they're involved because I and my husband are involved as well. They're 14 and 12.

I love karate, caving, and target shooting with handguns/rifles. My husband loves motorcycling, ATVing, target shooting, and hunting.

Both sons are into karate, scouts, and target shooting. The oldest loves to go caving, snow skiing, and water waveboarding. He plays on football and soccer leagues and joins the school track team. He used to play the basketball league. The younger son enjoys motorcycling, ATVing, and soccer. He also loves computer gaming and is technically adept, just like his father (his father's occupation and love are computers).

In spite of our busy lives, I do permit all of us "down time" from doing our various activities. It permits us to disconnect at times and sometimes get away from the expectations that are inherit with some certain activities.

My sons know that homework and chores are priorities and these must be done first before all the other stuff.

- Ceicei
Wow. Sounds like your family has more going on than mine. I'm glad to see you got a handle on it.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karate/Girls Scouts/Piano-Flute/Soccer/CCD here. Today's kids have waaaay too much to do, certainly more than we ever had. I'd like to see it cut back to just music and Martial Arts myself, but like your boys, my girls want all this stuff at the moment.

I think as long as the kids can take it, leave them in it. They get lots of just "being a kid" stuff during these activities from what I can see. When they start to complain often (not just occasional "I'll miss my TV show" stuff), then I'd take them out. The correlation here is that life itself is also an awful lot more complicated then when we were kids.

I used to play the guitar almost every waking second, and I had Little League baseball; that's it. My parents left work at work, had no cell phones, and no Internet email or buzzers or pagers or whatever. Life was slower for everyone. The stakes have really been raised for all of us. We notice it more in our relationship with our kids (We didn't do all that!) but we semi-ignore how much more we have to do ourselves than our parents did. I guess we should be thinking about our grandkids and the pace that awaits them!!

jim
That's kinda how I'm playing it right now. It's not like their spending every waking moment with physical activities.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really think you have to have your pulse on how much your kid can handle. Some kids don't have any problems at all being constantly occupied - in fact, if they weren't, they'd likely be disruptive or popping pills for ADHD.

I try to watch my kids for stress symptoms like overtraining, consistent or repetitive illness, depression, anxiety, temperment, grades, attitude, etcetera.

Some kids have a low requirement tolerance threshold and others do just fine for a long while. They'll reach a point where they have to make tough choices and back down a little and you'll know when that time will be.
Good advice.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is my take having three boys the more I have them involved in the less time they have to get into the wrong group, I'm with them always and I try my best to keep an eye on all there activities, which includes MA, skating skate boarding, biking baseball, soccor, and football, they enjoy swimming but that has no comprtition value what so ever just fun, They have about three hours every weekend to spend with the nieghbors kids and then it starts all over again, remember you have to be there as well, so both you and them must agree.
Exactly!

hrlmonkey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
like some of you on here, i teach the arts as well. i've always been able to spot the students in a class who are there because of the parents, not themselves. they are the ones that dont have the interest, obviously no commitment and ultimately they can detract from a class. its never easy to talk to parents and tell them that, until your child has the interest, your money could be used better (yes, i'm one of those instructors - too honest sometimes). sorry if i sound harsh, i dont mean to be nasty if thats how it comes across.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is where my wife comes in. She's heavily involved in the scouts as a leader. She's a stay at home mom and has a little more time to devote to this with the kids. She's the driving force behind this, and would love to see them become Eagles someday.

Latest Discussions