"Black Belt Dads"

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I went to the Sat afternoon class yesterday and had another chance to spar the same older kid I sparred on Friday night. After class I went to him and told him that I was not going full power when I struck him, because of the age difference, that I had respect for him because of his rank and experience, but that if he was ever uncomrfotable with us sparring or how we were sparring to please let me know. He just kinda shurgged and said he had been in tournaments before and gotten kicked a lot harder than I was kicking him. He seemed to think it was no big thing

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
For what it's worth, I went to the Sat afternoon class yesterday and had another chance to spar the same older kid I sparred on Friday night. After class I went to him and told him that I was not going full power when I struck him, because of the age difference, that I had respect for him because of his rank and experience, but that if he was ever uncomrfotable with us sparring or how we were sparring to please let me know. He just kinda shurgged and said he had been in tournaments before and gotten kicked a lot harder than I was kicking him. He seemed to think it was no big thing

I would be more concerned about this, in some ways, than I would be about the BB dad you described in your initial post. If this student does not respect your forbearance, and, it seems he doesn't, then I would be concerned that he would not, in his turn, offer the same respect for rank, age, size, ability, or whatever other difference that may exist between himself and other students should there come a time that he may need to demonstrate the same level of restraint that you did. On the other hand, at his age, he may just be uncertain of how to respond to a situation that sounds like it may be novel in his experience.

You seem ot have a level-headed ability ot adjust to your situation and surroundings, and I commend you on it. As your experience continues to expand, it will continue to stand you in good stead with both students and instructors. Enjoy your training!

Latest Discussions