To every rule there is an eexception....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Several years ago a gentleman told me 'I have never seen a sorry Eagle Scout'

Oh well, I hope life will be kind to him and his track record stays intact.

Yesterday I delivered the certificate, etc, to the father of an Eagle Scout.
After we tripped over it last year as the scout master departed, I found it again this week, packing the current scout master and his family off...so the stuff had been sitting at the scout hut for at least a year, closer to two....

Yes, it did throw me into all kinds of moral dilemmas!
it's a big thing to reach Eagle.
And yet, the young man did not bother to come and pick it up, not let others part take in the celebration....

And of course, there is a HUGE back story to it as well....

You see, nobody likes this family!
Everybody who has come into contact with them in any capacity just rolls their eyes!
And I did the scoutly thing, only because, well, they live across the street from me. Longer story yet, they had promised to move away, I think about 2 years ago...they are still here! <sigh>

Anyhow, Father was very pleased and thankful that I delivered the stuff, and tells me proudly that jr has his mind on other things....being a tattoo artist now, in a brand new shop on a road I could not find with mapquest....
Oh, nice, says I...
I do not think I'd be so surefire happy to tell people kiddo was inking people...but hey.

I just started to wonder, I am sure his maternal grandparents were thrilled to hear about this....or maybe not...last time I checked, tattoos were very much not considered of the polite society in Korea...

(which reminds me, I need to got pick up the kid's (mine) scout pants...I do not want to upset the Korean lady who sewed the crotch back together....)

So yeah, not having laid eyes on the kids from across the street, I guess I can still claim I have never seen a sorry Eagle Scout....

:lfao:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One note: tattoo artist is not or should not be derogatory automatically. Yes, some are of questionable character, but most that I've encountered are serious artists working in a rather unforgiving and demanding medium. It's (usually) honest work... Would you consider it bad if the kid was a barber? Or phlebotomist? How about just a janitor somewhere?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One note: tattoo artist is not or should not be derogatory automatically. Yes, some are of questionable character, but most that I've encountered are serious artists working in a rather unforgiving and demanding medium. It's (usually) honest work... Would you consider it bad if the kid was a barber? Or phlebotomist? How about just a janitor somewhere?

Like I said...it is a long story....

Parents were so kind to suggest my kid had problems (if evah! ;))

The a short time later said yet to be Eagle was carried home by a squad car, having been nabbed for vandalism (Graffity)
Or his friends were sighted fiddling with their (family) cars in the carport....

Long standing issues.

No, I do not think tattoo artists are as a whole lesser artists. Sometimes I wonder if I should cut the kid some slack, since the little brother is the real prince in the house....but then I didn't really have the greatness in me...and I resort to laughing when he set the yard on fire.

But while probably more challenging than cashier at the grocery store...

I think I was more baffled that sine we do not ever exchange words (except for when I wanted to dropkick his mutt for growling at me in my own front yard) it seemed like an odd piece of information to share....especially since we are REALLY waiting for the family to move. I am making plans for the block party!

Aside from the ink....
Seemed to me the kid didn't give a rip about what so many other young man lust - other than chicks - to come in person to pick it up....would it have mattered if I had thrown it out?

The moral dilemma....delivering something of worth to somebody who does not care, all while being nice, even though there is no love lost.

Yeah, I am still kind of laughing. At the oddness of the whole deal.

Latest Discussions