"Black Belt Dads"

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I just coined that phrase but I ran into a guy tonight who reminded me of dads who push their kids really hard in baseball, sometimes I think because they are trying to relive their childhood, or live their failed childhood dreams or something, through their children.

I ran into this after class today. The first class is a 'black and pre-black' sparring and it's mostly kids but it's the class I was told about when I asked about sparring (althoug there might have been some mixup in language, but I've been going to the class since last November) I'm the only adult in the class and I just assumed it was because there are not that many older colored belts in the school and I was currently the only one who had sparring desire and experience. Note: at my old school in Albuequerque, we spared all ranks/ages against each other. My 10 yo daughter, as a green belt, sparred a 6'2" green belt man and our black belt teacher, so mixing ages, sizes, and ranks is something I take as given. I sparred one kid today, a 14 kid (black belt), but big for his age. At one point I was urged to use more control, which I'm okay with. I was not hitting him at full force, I was hitting him with the same power I use for my 13 yo (blue belt) son and I figured if my son could take that level, this kid could, who was much bigger. When I spar my younger girls, I use much lighter contact because they are younger and smaller.

OK, that's back story
After that class, one of the parent (who son is 11,very slight, and a BB) started saying to me that he didn't think it was appropriate for me, as only a colored belt (and throughout the ensuing conversation, or diatribe, he kept referring to me as being 'only a colored belt' with a corresponding lack of control. I mean, when I see the difference between me and the BBs around me, I do see a big difference in control and balance and that to me is the biggest thing I have to work on the next few years, but I'm no idiot and I do exercise self-control in trying not to beat up children) and an adult in a class of mostly BB children and some colored-belt children. This kinda came as a suprise and I was about to explain that I came to this class because it wa suggested and allowed by my teacher and that I didn't realize it was only for children and that if it was a problem I could stop coming. I didn't get a word in to explain all that because one of the other parents stepped in to defend me to say "I disagree with you on that" and that set the first parent (The "Black Belt Dad" or BBD) off and he started saying how I shouldn't be in the class because it was dangerous ("only a colored belt"...at one point he reached over and flipped the tips of my bet up and practically sneered it. I have never seen *anyone* in a dojang act wih such disdain and simple lack of curteousy to anyone simply for their rank)

But then he seemed to really get hot into what was bothering him. Apparently his son only comes to the Friday night sparring class (never see him in any other classes but there are a lot of students I don't see) and is also attending some other classes or training because he kept saying things like "my son trains with the USTA team" or people from the USTA team or National Team or something like that. I didn't pick up too much on it because this was now between him and the school owner. It seems that he was really upset that his son didn't get to spar enough (we did drills and then round robin sparring two at a time which meant everyone got a slice of time and he didn't seem to think it was enough for his son...he didn't seem to realize that his son got as much or as little as everyone else in the class....actually more because the instructor spent time with him alone and me alone doing random pad kick drills were we could go full power and speed against a moving target using a randomly called strike). He also was upset that the time he spent sparring was against the other older kid (the one I had sparred against) and they were asked to go 'light contact', partially because of the weight/height difference but I also assume because the instructor was targetting specific techniques and wanted more focus on control and technique then power. The BBD was saying "c'mon, they're both back belts, they've been sparring each other for a long time. What's this 'light contact' stuff?" And going on how he had his son in the class out of respect for the teachers experience but he wasn't paying money for him to come to class and not spar enough or to be sparring light contact.

Basically, he came across as thinking his son was special and deserved to be given certain training and treatment (I guess at exclusion to the other sudents, because to give his son what he seemed to want would've cost the other students training time as well) and seemed to allude that some of it was my fault for being there (as apparently my presence, according to him, had distrupted everything, although not according to some other parents). On the one hand he was seeming to be trying to say he was honoring the istructor by bringing his son there and yet was disrespecting him at the same time by yelling at him in front of the other students and parents and challlenging his training methods (note: the BBD does not train or have rank or anything). He ended up taking back a tuition check he dropped off that night and I guess has quit the school. I feel bad because I think I contributed to it but mostly out of possible misunderstanding and not having a chance to apologize or explain.

But I guess he's what I would call a "Black Belt Dad" in that he lives his life through the achievment of his son, which is sad.

The son? I don't know him and haven't talked to him so I have nothing against him At that age most of what kids do is because of their parents and teachers anyway so it's hard to hold anything against someone that young. As far as TKD? Well, it's hard for me to judge someone more advanced and yet much younger/smaller than me because I have little context. I thought he was quick and had quick attacks and foot movement. He also tended to be very linear. I did spar him once last month and threw a spinning sidekick that totally caught him off and I only bumped him and did not extend my kick (if I had, he wouldve probably been dead) he didn't seem to react well to certain attacks. Nor in watching him was he very quick on his own spining kicks. Very one dimensional. What really struck me, though was that he had two habits that I *know* he didn't get from our instructor. (or three) One was standing in a very deep long stance. Two, he tends to keep his hands down to his side, not up in defense. Those two I think aare bad technique that he can get away with until he gets heavier (on the stance and realizes that it's harder to come up and kick from a deep stance when you get heavier) and older (when you run into age brackets that allow kicks to the head and more experienced opponents that will take advantage of low hands to do double kicks and feints and such designed to go high anyway). The third is that his ki-ap does not come with the strike toaid power but comes after the strike and his long and drawn out and seems more like a victory yell for the hit than a ki-ap, which is either useless or poor sportsmanship, depending on your point of view. I guess the kids has potential but most kids that age who are pushed have 'potential', but he also has the potential to have some very bad habits come and get him as he gets older

anyway, sorry...was a rough night emotionally. I didn't say or do anything through his tirade but it's a bit hard not to feel it when some guy gets mad at you for being there and than mad at your instructor for trying to treat the students equally and fairly and then walks out and quits...in front of his son and the rest of the students and parents.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Feerless I myself would not worry to much about Dad he was wrong and we al know that. The thing is if he trains for the USAT and the national team he should not be at your school right now for the team is in Denver training for compitition, the other thing is if he is under 14 he would not be training with the elites for they only bring in 14 and up I know I'm a dad waiting for my own son to reach 14 to start his training in DENVER with the national team and trails to se if he can make it.

parent are just tha way, We have it in baseball, soccor, basketbal,football,
Terry

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know it's just that it bothers me to see parents act like that.

One thing my wife and I firmly agreed on was that we wre going to let our kids be kids. You only get to be ten once in your life. Make the most of it.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
the first mistake I see hear is making the child a black belt. perhaps the standard in black belt ranges differently in schools, however, the range shoudn't be that wide when your are practicing the same style. I have seen 3rd degree black belts at 14, wich honestly boils my blood.
even if the kid has got skills, black belt is too much for a child. Like a wise instructor once said when a student told him that there were other schools who promoted their students to black belt after 2 1/2 years, "there are blackbelts, and then there are blackbelts."

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The instructor has certificates on his wall from Kukkiwon for Dans and Pooms so I assumed the kid is just a Poom

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who runs the class...BBD?...NO! Did you master ask you to be there...YES!

You did nothing wrong...dont sweat it!

*bows respectfully*

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BBD is ego and no experience. He would have been just the same if it was a soccer team and he didn't feel his kid was getting enough special attention. It was't your fault. If it hadn't been you, it would have been someone else. I feel sorry for the kid but again, it wasn't your fault.

I'm a little surprised that 11 and 14 year olds have BBs.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I guess I just coined that phrase but I ran into a guy tonight who reminded me of dads who push their kids really hard in baseball, sometimes I think because they are trying to relive their childhood, or live their failed childhood dreams or something, through their children.

I ran into this after class today. The first class is a 'black and pre-black' sparring and it's mostly kids but it's the class I was told about when I asked about sparring (althoug there might have been some mixup in language, but I've been going to the class since last November) I'm the only adult in the class and I just assumed it was because there are not that many older colored belts in the school and I was currently the only one who had sparring desire and experience. Note: at my old school in Albuequerque, we spared all ranks/ages against each other. My 10 yo daughter, as a green belt, sparred a 6'2" green belt man and our black belt teacher, so mixing ages, sizes, and ranks is something I take as given. I sparred one kid today, a 14 kid (black belt), but big for his age. At one point I was urged to use more control, which I'm okay with. I was not hitting him at full force, I was hitting him with the same power I use for my 13 yo (blue belt) son and I figured if my son could take that level, this kid could, who was much bigger. When I spar my younger girls, I use much lighter contact because they are younger and smaller.

Question for you. If this is a sparring class geared towards certain age groups, why did your inst. tell you to come to it? Nothing against you, but personally, if you're looking to get in some sparring practice, you're going to need to be working with people your own size, people who you do not have to go as easy with, etc. Certainly nothing wrong with a larger person sparring against a smaller one, as it will give them a bit more of a challenge, but can you honestly say that you're going to be getting anything from it? You may want to check again with the inst. to see if there is another class you can go to.

OK, that's back story
After that class, one of the parent (who son is 11,very slight, and a BB) started saying to me that he didn't think it was appropriate for me, as only a colored belt (and throughout the ensuing conversation, or diatribe, he kept referring to me as being 'only a colored belt' with a corresponding lack of control. I mean, when I see the difference between me and the BBs around me, I do see a big difference in control and balance and that to me is the biggest thing I have to work on the next few years, but I'm no idiot and I do exercise self-control in trying not to beat up children) and an adult in a class of mostly BB children and some colored-belt children. This kinda came as a suprise and I was about to explain that I came to this class because it wa suggested and allowed by my teacher and that I didn't realize it was only for children and that if it was a problem I could stop coming. I didn't get a word in to explain all that because one of the other parents stepped in to defend me to say "I disagree with you on that" and that set the first parent (The "Black Belt Dad" or BBD) off and he started saying how I shouldn't be in the class because it was dangerous ("only a colored belt"...at one point he reached over and flipped the tips of my bet up and practically sneered it. I have never seen *anyone* in a dojang act wih such disdain and simple lack of curteousy to anyone simply for their rank)

But then he seemed to really get hot into what was bothering him. Apparently his son only comes to the Friday night sparring class (never see him in any other classes but there are a lot of students I don't see) and is also attending some other classes or training because he kept saying things like "my son trains with the USTA team" or people from the USTA team or National Team or something like that. I didn't pick up too much on it because this was now between him and the school owner. It seems that he was really upset that his son didn't get to spar enough (we did drills and then round robin sparring two at a time which meant everyone got a slice of time and he didn't seem to think it was enough for his son...he didn't seem to realize that his son got as much or as little as everyone else in the class....actually more because the instructor spent time with him alone and me alone doing random pad kick drills were we could go full power and speed against a moving target using a randomly called strike). He also was upset that the time he spent sparring was against the other older kid (the one I had sparred against) and they were asked to go 'light contact', partially because of the weight/height difference but I also assume because the instructor was targetting specific techniques and wanted more focus on control and technique then power. The BBD was saying "c'mon, they're both back belts, they've been sparring each other for a long time. What's this 'light contact' stuff?" And going on how he had his son in the class out of respect for the teachers experience but he wasn't paying money for him to come to class and not spar enough or to be sparring light contact.

Basically, he came across as thinking his son was special and deserved to be given certain training and treatment (I guess at exclusion to the other sudents, because to give his son what he seemed to want would've cost the other students training time as well) and seemed to allude that some of it was my fault for being there (as apparently my presence, according to him, had distrupted everything, although not according to some other parents). On the one hand he was seeming to be trying to say he was honoring the istructor by bringing his son there and yet was disrespecting him at the same time by yelling at him in front of the other students and parents and challlenging his training methods (note: the BBD does not train or have rank or anything). He ended up taking back a tuition check he dropped off that night and I guess has quit the school. I feel bad because I think I contributed to it but mostly out of possible misunderstanding and not having a chance to apologize or explain.

But I guess he's what I would call a "Black Belt Dad" in that he lives his life through the achievment of his son, which is sad.

The son? I don't know him and haven't talked to him so I have nothing against him At that age most of what kids do is because of their parents and teachers anyway so it's hard to hold anything against someone that young. As far as TKD? Well, it's hard for me to judge someone more advanced and yet much younger/smaller than me because I have little context. I thought he was quick and had quick attacks and foot movement. He also tended to be very linear. I did spar him once last month and threw a spinning sidekick that totally caught him off and I only bumped him and did not extend my kick (if I had, he wouldve probably been dead) he didn't seem to react well to certain attacks. Nor in watching him was he very quick on his own spining kicks. Very one dimensional. What really struck me, though was that he had two habits that I *know* he didn't get from our instructor. (or three) One was standing in a very deep long stance. Two, he tends to keep his hands down to his side, not up in defense. Those two I think aare bad technique that he can get away with until he gets heavier (on the stance and realizes that it's harder to come up and kick from a deep stance when you get heavier) and older (when you run into age brackets that allow kicks to the head and more experienced opponents that will take advantage of low hands to do double kicks and feints and such designed to go high anyway). The third is that his ki-ap does not come with the strike toaid power but comes after the strike and his long and drawn out and seems more like a victory yell for the hit than a ki-ap, which is either useless or poor sportsmanship, depending on your point of view. I guess the kids has potential but most kids that age who are pushed have 'potential', but he also has the potential to have some very bad habits come and get him as he gets older

anyway, sorry...was a rough night emotionally. I didn't say or do anything through his tirade but it's a bit hard not to feel it when some guy gets mad at you for being there and than mad at your instructor for trying to treat the students equally and fairly and then walks out and quits...in front of his son and the rest of the students and parents.

Don't let this guy get to you. If this guy is going to continue to be a problem, you may want to mention this to your inst. and have him speak with the parent.

Mike

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't second guess yourself. You were invited to be there so you had every right to be there. The father was definetly out of line and in my opinion showed disrespect to the instructor and the dojo.

I don't enjoy sparring the junior blacks or browns but when I do I use restraint and view it as that I am trying to help them get better.

Once again, due to situations like this father's actions, I believe that there should be a seperate viewing/waiting area for parents.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have 12-13 year olds as poom black belts. They go into adult class at that age and they spar adults. We have medium contact for black belts. Adult blue belts have to have control enough to make it medium or less for their opponents weight class not the blue belt adult. But, if the dad thought that was too hard of contact, what does he think national competition would be like?

What that dad did was deprive his son possible of a sport that he likes because of his own vicarious involvement. Because it will probably happen again if he finds a new dojang.

This happened to a young teenager in our school. She was a black belt and she was good at sparring and the master was coaching her and giving her more instruction to do outside of class conditioning. So later, apparently her father didn't like it when the master said she wasn't ready for nationals, that she couldn't defend well enough. The master didn't want her to get killed in other words. They quit the school to go train with someone else who supposedly could get her into nationals. Well, about two years later, she comes back, still hoping for the same thing, still hadn't got to nationals. She was there a couple of months and then was gone permanent. Probably went to college. The problem is that they didn't trust the master's judgement. Alot of our dads and moms who used to watch have joined in with their children. That way they come to trust the master and appreciate the discipline. It gives you a whole new outlook, it did for me when I joined my kids on the floor. TW

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Question for you. If this is a sparring class geared towards certain age groups, why did your inst. tell you to come to it? Nothing against you, but personally, if you're looking to get in some sparring practice, you're going to need to be working with people your own size, people who you do not have to go as easy with, etc. Certainly nothing wrong with a larger person sparring against a smaller one, as it will give them a bit more of a challenge, but can you honestly say that you're going to be getting anything from it? You may want to check again with the inst. to see if there is another class you can go to.

Fair questions. As to why I was in the class? Well basically I think I was an abberration in that I was an adult colored belt who had prior sparring experience and desire when I came into the school and so I ended up in the class by default. There is a an earlier class which is only for young colored belts and there is also a Saturday afternoon class. I just went to the Sat afternoon class last week and it was also black and higher ranking colored belts but the age range seemed higher so in retrospect that probably would've been a better match for me. This is where I mentioned the possible miscommmunication because I asked about a sparring class and was told abot the 6:30 Friday class and I asked if I could come and was told yes, so I had been coming (I actually came to the 6:30 sparring class and stayed for the 7:30 adult class every week) and when I first showed up in seemed a bit akwardbut the instructor was welcoming and we made adjustments for me being the only adult (yesterday a little kid green belt came to the 5:30 class and also stayed through the class I was in) and so I was surpised when the parent was getting down on me for coming to a kids class and in retrospect maybe it was inappropriate for me to be there but I was acting in good faith in what I thought I could do, but since he expressed concern I was more than willing to say "I'm sorry, I'm here by the graces of the instructor but if you and the parents and kids are uncomfortable with me being here then I can back out" but the BBD seemed to be more upset at Master Ha about the sparring practice he felt his son was not getting so the conversation esculated and moved on before I could safely interject that. At my old school, sparring class was pretty open (it was a small school) so whomever showed up who was of rank to spar, would spar and based on the tournout it was pretty common for adults to spar kids, so the fact that I was the only adult in a class of mostly kids I figured was more circumstance than anything.

However, for some time now, our instructor has been urging the adult colored belts who do the 7:30 class to get sparring gear and he wants to be more intentional about making the 7:30 class at least partially a sparring class for the adult colored belts (and a few BB who show up, such as a BB my age is a great encouragement to me) so I will not be going to the 6:30 class and will instead be staing with the 7:30 class and so that should end any problems.

What did I get from it? Well, I would prefer to spar people close to my own size for sure, but sparring peple wh oare smaller and lighter becomes a challenge in that their mass difference means they can move and change direction faster than I can. Also, it's an exercise in precision and self-control when you are in a training situation with someone half your weight. So I do find it a chalenge and I do get something out of it when circumstances are such that that's what I have to work with.

I think it's all sorted out now; I feel bad about the father pulling his son from the class, but I know it's not just about me and the instructors wife (also an instructor herself) was very supportive in not blaming myself because appparently they had run ins with this parent before.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!:) It seems like in the end, everything worked out. Again, this was not a slam on you by any means. As long as you attended the class and got something out of it, that is all that matters.:asian:

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand a parent being concerned that gis child might get hurt by an adult. I also undertand that a black belt should be much better at defending themslefs than a colord belt. I understand that some people can not see that an instructor might be "testing" the ability of both the adult and the child.
Haveing said all that I feel the dad should have approched the instructor not you. He ws out of place and acted in an inappropreate (sp) manner.
If he thinks his kid is good enough to be a Black Belt he should relish the idea of the child getting a chance to show his stuff in a controlled sparring session against an adult.
What the kid couldn't cut it then he shouldn't be a BB IMHO

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally feel that non-martial parents of martial arts children need coaching too. Many do not understand some of the subtleties of this kind of training, reasons behind every decision the instructor or master makes, etcetera. I always try to turn that kind of incident into an opportunity to communicate with parents.

FF, You're not the teacher here, but my sense is that you might be being groomed for such. First of all, by being silent (though rather insistantly held to it), you did the right thing. Second, there really isn't much you can do in a situation like this other than offer to get the instructor or master or refer the parent to that person.

I'll post an example later of a similar situation I faced as my time is limited.

Welcome to BB land, FF.

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
the first mistake I see hear is making the child a black belt. perhaps the standard in black belt ranges differently in schools, however, the range shoudn't be that wide when your are practicing the same style. I have seen 3rd degree black belts at 14, wich honestly boils my blood.
even if the kid has got skills, black belt is too much for a child. Like a wise instructor once said when a student told him that there were other schools who promoted their students to black belt after 2 1/2 years, "there are blackbelts, and then there are blackbelts."
SOOOO true. I had to laugh at one of the local schools in my city proudly declaring that they have no blackbelts under the age of ten!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Belt parents, like soccer parents, or baseball parents, or swim parents (whatever sport you choose) are all over the place.

On the one hand, it's good to know that there are parents who care about their kids. On the other hand, it is disturbing to know that there are parents who care about their kids to the extent that they interfere with the children's ability to grow up and become independent - they are so busy putting their children's interests first that they don't realize how much of a disadvantage their children will be at when the parents aren't there to smooth the way.

As others have said, you were there with the permission of the instructor - that's all anyone needs to know. Years ago, I taught a Saturday class that was intended for children, but there was a student who wanted to learn TKD and worked nights when the adult class met; since the kids' class met on Saturday mornings, he was able to come - so he did, the only adult in a class the otherwise ranged from 6-12. No one cared why he came to that class instead of the adults' class, and even if they had, it was no one's business but his - although most of the kids' parents knew him, as he recruited quite a few of his friends' kids in his attempts to recruit his friends.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Through reading all of this and seeing the responses, I have to say I can't agree more then what has been said. FF, you did what was right and so did the instructor.

I truly feel the most sorry for the BBD's kid. He is either completely embarassed by his father's actions (I know my kids would be mortified) or he is also so engrossed in his own "talent" that he feels justified when his father acts like an *** at the school. Either way, the kid loses because of the actions of his father.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a judge at a tournament. It was a TKD tournament. I am FMA. I was invited by the hosting Master to sit as a judge. I voluntered for the children weapons. Most of those invovled were Brown belts from Karate or Blue/Red from the TKD. Some lower and one Black Belt.

A fine young Brown belt female won the competition with a very nice performance with the right attitude and good execution. The black belt was a little too relaxed, and was coasting, and assumed that since he was the BB he would walk away with the competition.

After the competition was over the parents told him to ask me why I marked her the highest. I replied that was my call based upon the performances, but if he was serious, I could provide a critique and review of most of the performances for his education. I then stated that the child that came out and did a made up form of two canes and was fluid and smooth and constantly moving, got my highest marks. Yet no one else graded the student well. To me this showed the student here in question understood the weapons and the application. The young lady who won, growled, had eyes the looked through the judges to her enemy, and her strikes were meant to take out the knees or the ankle sweeps with her bow, as well as her head strikes and he blocks. I then explained that he had his eyes on the roof and on the corner of the gym and not on his opponent, nor even in the form. His strike while were smooth, had to conviction of being a strike. He need to strike and to block not to just stop on time or in place.

His parents then went to talk to the host, about me not being a proper judge for his system. It was an "Open" tournament, not sanctioned. I just smiled and let him walk away. The parents and the child assumed that becuase they had the black belt that the child was better on that day and that time, even without trying.

As to control, I was a blue belt in Moderrn Arnis invited to cross train with an open TKD class. I ended up lining up with the TKD Blue Belts, the 4th Dan only saw my rank and not my Red pants or patch. (* Crossed American and Phillipines *) I sparred (* one steps and three steps *) with some that day. The other blue belts Teend and early Twenties like myself, all went for hard contact on me. I returned the contact. One guy even bigger than I, was trying to prove he could beat me. I started to step 45 degree and counter his strikes, with position and or passes versus hard blocks. He then went into his next stance and did a nice side kick into my me on his turn. I then returned the favor by doing a throw that ended him up on the gym floor. He did not know how to fall. With this I was immediately moved up to play with the Red Stripes and Red belts. Much more control, but a couple of these guys came after me. Similiar reactions, I was moved up to the Black belts, 1st Dan's. Well one guy was all about no colored belt was going to show him anything. We had moved to pads hands and feet. Continuous sparring. This was fun. He hit hard, and I returned it. It was not long before the higher degrees moved me up. The 2nd degree I sparred with was an older guy in his late 40's early 50's. (* Older than I *) He asked for controlled sparring. I responded with a smile and said yes sir. I did not touch his head, no heavy kicks, and light contact on the body with the hands. He enjoyed it and so did I. The 3rd and 4th degree that day sparred with me and also played with me, and controlled the complete tempo. They understand that if I could maintain proper contact with them after sparring hard with the other guys, that I had chosen to reply in kind with the hard.

Each person has a different level of what they think is hard and light, it takes working together to come to a level of understanding.

(* Note: I am not making comments about TKD nor FMA about skill set here with my sparring comments. I at that time was someone who had faught, and bounced a little and was used to contact from people who wanted to do me harm. This does not reflect the arts in question, it reflects the individuals invovled on that given day. *)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great story, Rich.

I was an assistant for a children's class. Most of the parents had never had any martial arts training and felt that if their child had the material for the rank memorized that they ought to be tested for the next color rank. We were adamant that they remember all material and show competence with the material (such as was possible given the age of each child). When we wouldn't test one particular child right away, the parents complained to all of us and I heard tell they were looking at a McDojo in town to transfer him to. I realized no one really took the time to explain how things worked at our school and the reasons behind our policies, so I did it. I also promised to show the Mom and/or Dad when their child was exhibiting what we were looking for. She gave us another month. In two and a half weeks, that child just worked the program, running through things over and over again and you could see things developing for him until one day it clicked.

I brought the mom over to watch him and asked if she could see the difference between what he was doing then versus three weeks prior and she admitted that she did. Promoting too early is often a disservice to an otherwise capable child. But they were about to pull this young man from our class because he hadn't been given a chance to 'grow into' his material. She thanked me and had a better understanding.

I agree with what others have said about age and dan rank. I also really feel that parents must be addressed appropriately to adequately support their children in this kind of endeavor.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If he thinks his kid isn't getting enough mat time, you might suggest he pay for some private lessons.