Ignorant People About Martial Arts

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me it's not a win or lose issue, it's about me being able to use my art to fight and not have it look like generic kickboxing.

Why care so much about how it looks? Isn't the point of it to work and not look pretty?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why care so much about how it looks? Isn't the point of it to work and not look pretty?
You misunderstood me. I train in Jow Ga kung fu, so when I spar or fight then I want my fighting to be representative of Jow Ga Kung Fu. My fighting and sparring should look like the fighting system that I train in. Boxing looks like Boxing. Muay Tai looks like Muay Tai, Kung fu sparring rarely looks like Kung Fu. Most Kung Fu sparring is just basic kicks and punches and that's what I don't want to look like when I spar or fight. I'm not spending 2 hours training sessions for 5 days a week just so I can only do basic kicks and punches. Unfortunately that is what happens to a lot of kung fu practitioners who spend years doing kung fu but when they spar it just looks like basic kickboxing.

My kung fu sparring or fighting should never look like this, because Jow Ga Kung Fu doesn't look like this when I'm training.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you guys think about people who disrespect martial arts? Theres this guy im friends with and he stereotyped martial arts. When I asked him if he could beat a Muay Thai and boxing practitioner who is also a friend of mine, he said he could probably beat him because he doesnt care about that "praying mantis ****"
While I agree with most every poster, I also disagree with them.

This isn't about your friend as much as it is about you.

You're worried that maybe your pal is right and he really can beat a trained martial artist. Maybe he can beat you. So why bother training?

He's also not "disrespecting martial arts." He's disrespecting you. Your reputation and status in the pecking order is at risk.

See, the problem isn't that your friend is disrespecting martial arts, it's that you're a human male and still engaging in standard Male Dominance Ritual.

When I was in your place, I eventually realized what was happening and decided to "opt out." As much as possible, I try to avoid Male Dominance Ritual now, even with friends and co-workers. Let them believe what they believe. Let them try to climb the male hierarchy of whatever group they want. It usually doesn't affect me. In the rare instances where it might, such as in hierarchy at work for promotions & raises, I've found that "ranking" is achieved more effectively in different ways than traditional instinctive Male Dominance methods.

My advice? Opt out.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Montana

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I just shrug it off and don't engage in that sort of discussion.

Back in college when I was a "feisty" brown belt, I was sitting with a couple of people from one of my classes going over some stuff about the class. One of them, kind of a jerk, said ...

"I hear you take karate?"

I replied "Yes."

He replied "Well, karate SUCKS and is worthless. I carry a gun all of the time and it's better than karate any day!".

I asked him "Do you have your gun on you now?"

He said "No...why?"

I lunged across the table as fast as I could and threw my fist in his face, stopping just short of contact, and leaving it there for a second...then sat back down.

I said "Your gun didn't do you any good now, did it?"

He replied "I could go up to my room and get it and come back and shoot you!

He wasn't happy at this point, and I didn't really care.

I replied "How could you go to your room and get your gun if I just killed you? It didn't do you any good, did it? Learning karate is something that you can take ANYWHERE with you, and will always have available to you."

Anyway, we never talked again...I guess he didn't like me abotu as much as I didn't like him.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you don't understand can kill you. Especially in this case.

Awww... Muay Thai won't kill the guy. The Muay Thai guy would stop when the other guy went down holding his leg and crying.

That's tongue-in-cheek, y'all, keep it light. I am assuming that the MT guy knows his stuff and the other guy hasn't been street brawling for 20 years.

deflect->atemi

White Belt
Reaction score
.....He replied "Well, karate SUCKS and is worthless. I carry a gun all of the time and it's better than karate any day!".

I asked him "Do you have your gun on you now?"

He said "No...why?"

I lunged across the table as fast as I could and threw my fist in his face, stopping just short of contact, and leaving it there for a second...then sat back down.

I said "Your gun didn't do you any good now, did it?"

He replied "I could go up to my room and get it and come back and shoot you!

He wasn't happy at this point, and I didn't really care.

I replied "How could you go to your room and get your gun if I just killed you? It didn't do you any good, did it? Learning karate is something that you can take ANYWHERE with you, and will always have available to you."

Anyway, we never talked again...I guess he didn't like me about as much as I didn't like him.

Ammosexuals and their gun marriage rights.

Herp derp.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like this friend of yours. Good man. He makes me feel wise and possibly omniscient by comparison. :cool:
why not drink a few beers and challenge him to a duel?
then it is settled! Duel it is at high noon. With swords. Pistols are also acceptable. :D

Latest Discussions