Black Belt Curriculum

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you had a seperate curriculum for your Poom and/or Black Belts? If so how does it differ from your color belt curriculum?

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
While none of my students have yet made it to black belt (though 2 should be ready to test within a year) the black belt curriculum at my school adds in a more indepth look at the forms, including going back through the colored belt forms and extrapolating some of the 'hidden applications' including the locks, throws, and groundwork. It also includes more 'anything goes' fighting in the sparring rather than just tournament rules (though we do occasionally spar without the standard rules, it is still very stand up). A more indepth look at the history and philosophy is discussed. All this is in addition to the standard punches, kicks, learning forms, self defense, etc.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My is different from Poom to Dan, the main difference is that poom really do not learn Joint Locks and manilupation. They also do not do as much ground and pound along with all the more painful stuff but before I change from a poom to a dan they have abother test for there adult ranking.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I though, according to Kukkiwon standards, going from Poom to Dan was automatic (not that it affects me or my students, as we are not affiliated with KKW/WTF). You might want to check on that because you might be getting jerked around for more money. Then again, I believe dojangs are allowed to add their own additional requirements for testing so that might fall under that.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Adult Black Belts go back and focus on the intricacies of the forms and basic material, but also begin a more personalized training. For instance, everyone does a little tai chi, a little more breaking, a little bit of sword and bo staff, a little bit of judo. Just to sort of see what it is about and understand it's basics. But then anyone can choose to "specialize" in any of these and really focus on getting good in the area they like best. As someone else mentioned, we also do a more free-for-all sparring at Black Belt which includes take-downs, pressure points, joint locks, etc (instead of just tournament rules). We have a two hour class on Fridays just for Black Belts (which is most everyone's favorite class of the week).

Pooms on the other hand continue only to focus on basic curriculum only. All kids of any age who test for Black Belt have to have all the color belt curriculum memorized and good, but most of them tend to slowly lose it after testing. So we continue to focus on it, keeping it in their heads and helping them improve. A lot of them also do a lot of tournament sparring, and most of our pooms also make up our demo team, so they may do some new exciting breaks and they also enjoy doing a lot of falling/rolling stuff (running and jumping over something and rolling out). They also enjoy getting really good at flying side kicks!! But our focus really for them is continual improvement on their basics, and working to really keep it all in their heads.

By the way, we do have a couple pooms that are 13 or 14 and they are starting to be included in more of the adult stuff. So while they don't get their Dan until 15, they do get to be included in more adult training when they are ready.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm just going to give you this instance...

Your at a promotion test. all thecolor belts are lined up to break...and they do what they must.... now watch the black belts....they do alot of the same techniques, not much difference.

This is what I see in a lot of schools, and I am very sad. Not to just say that about breaking, but also in forms and technique in general.

When you test for cho dan in my system, the following must be completed without failure:

Sparring: knock out 2 black belts from any other local school within 5
minutes

hyung: Bbachae Dai & So, all 5 Pyung Ahn, 3 Kichos, San Tjin & my
teacher's sparring form through all variations

Breaking: 1 Technique you pick (break 10 or more roof tiles/boards)
1 Technique picked by teacher (break red brick)

for cho dan breaking, red brick may be held by breaker with one hand, throw up into the air by breaker or thrown to him by another student. purpose is not to show power, but quality of technique. All techniques taught to that point must be correctly performed, and all portions of the test must be passed to earn your belt. The BLACK BELTs should stand out from all the rest, and not only in technique, but also in behavior and ettiquete. A black belt, although only the first step, should stand out above all the rest. That's my opinion.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
oops, didnt really read this one fully, just read the title curriculum...

well, i teach my regular martial arts program to anyone 10 and up...

since i teach taekwondo only to under 10 yr olds, they are all pooms, but I only teach them WTF style.

10 and up, i teach my full curriculum under both tang soo do and karate do

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I though, according to Kukkiwon standards, going from Poom to Dan was automatic (not that it affects me or my students, as we are not affiliated with KKW/WTF). You might want to check on that because you might be getting jerked around for more money. Then again, I believe dojangs are allowed to add their own additional requirements for testing so that might fall under that.

You are right technically but remember KKW is not the WTF, KKW run ranks though there own org. and they have more than the sport aspect, also remember the WTF is solely about thte sport and does not issue any rank what so ever, so I which people would quit saying I'mKKW and WTF as if they are the same they are not.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't have poom belts, or any other version of junior black belt. Either you can meet the requirements, or you can't test. The only variation in requirements for age, size, or gender is in the breaking requirements, but that's based mostly on mass, although kids under 12 are not allowed to do hand breaks for any reason, and certain other breaks are restricted until a certain level of growth is reached, for safety reasons. Since there are no poom BBs, there is not a separate curriculum for them, either.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never said they were the same. I said my students under ten are taught WTF style(sports style). Their rank is kukiwon poom, but the style is WTF, no?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't have poom belts, or any other version of junior black belt. Either you can meet the requirements, or you can't test.

Love it! Especially since I know you work with kids, so this shows me you're doubly committed to them being fully qualified. :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm not at that point yet, but from my understanding: in sparring, there's multiple attackers, we're allowed to do more throws/ takedowns/ sweeps in sparring (only in- school tourney's and sparring practice). Also, we can develop more drills on our own, based out of our forms. Right now, we can't do throws in sparring, and the drills are pre- arranged for us. Also, in self- defense, there's more focus on weapon defense. I don't know what's placed where in the learning, though.

Latest Discussions