Black Belt Instructor class?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Taekwondo has a different instruction method, I ask this to only practicing TKD black belts, please:

(1) How many of you have actual black belt classes just for learning how to teach? I'm not talking about classes to become a better technician, better sparrer etc. but how to become a better instructor.

(2) Or are you being mentored individually by a master with regular instruction about teaching? Or have you been in the past?

(3) If neither apply, what are your opinions of how a black belt should gain this ability?

(4) Should all black belts be expected to teach?

(5) Should they be expected to just learn by trial and error?

(6) Insert your own opinions here. ;) TW

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Answers from my viewpoint

(1) How many of you have actual black belt classes just for learning how to teach?

No formal classes, but constant monitoring of the class they are teaching. During their training thru the under ranks, understanding the why's and wherefors of what's being taught is/was an ongoing effort.

(2) Or are you being mentored individually by a master with regular instruction about teaching?

I would say this falls under the number 1 answer. Every black belt goes under some aspect of individual mentoring, during normal training classes.

(3) If neither apply, what are your opinions of how a black belt should gain this ability?

Falls under the above answers.

YES!......Teaching, regardless of how poor some instructors may start out, should only get better *(if they are serious about their discipline and themselves), because by teaching, one should come to review what they have learned from a different viewpoint and that should open the channels for further discovery if they should find themselves having to adjust/adapt things to assist students.

Some folks may say yes, because that was how the masters of old learned. Personally, I say no......The information has already been defined, so there really is not much call for trail and error. It also eliminates students getting hurt because of mistakes under the mantel of trail and error.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never had formal BB classes or teaching classes in my TKD experience. But I've always been asked to teach throughout my career. I learned quick to watch how the folks who do it well, teach...& steal ideas from them.

I now have a masters in education & I've taught a lot of different things in my life. It's amazing how similar effectively teaching any subject is. High energy & making it fun. (whether its in in church or the dojang) goes a long way. I'd love to get more ideas tho.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
(1) How many of you have actual black belt classes just for learning how to teach? I'm not talking about classes to become a better technician, better sparrer etc. but how to become a better instructor.

We have instructor certification seminars that discuss teaching methodology as well as technique. There are instructor levels C, B, A which deals with the patterns that an instructor's qualified to teach with requisite seminars and tests for each.

(2) Or are you being mentored individually by a master with regular instruction about teaching? Or have you been in the past?

We have had classes centered around teaching, we also get a lot of teaching tips during regular class, but they're not a class to class kinda deal.

I don't think so. Not everyone takes MA's for the same reason or has the same interests. Due to that, you shouldn't expect everyone to teach IMO. Nothing wrong with a check on the level of knowledge they're bringing to it if they are interested in doing so.

To an extent, it's unavoidable.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:

I do not have formal classes for black belts to be instructors. However, the TSD side of our dojang does have an instructor course. My black belts have been called upon to teach classes for me on occasion. I have a syllabus and a calendar/outline which each BB has so that if called upon, they are aware of what material to cover.

TigerWoman said:

Not formally mentored, but I have my GM review my materials and he has provided input. He has also watched me teach class and provided feedback.

I have seen a few NAPMA videos on how to teach and I draw upon information from the ACMA Instructor materials. This is particularly good stuff for those who are working on starting up their own program. One of the most important lessons I've taken from these materials is not to give too much information too soon. Information overload is a problem for novice instructors.

I've also had the opportunity to attend the Kukkiwon Instructor course and have the materials which I consult periodically.

TigerWoman said:

There is no substitute for actually getting on the mat and teaching. However, if you are going to do anything well, it helps to not have to "reinvent the wheel." If a black belt desires to teach, she should have access to materials and mentoring which will help make her successful.

TigerWoman said:

No, I don't think all black belts should be expected to teach. If they want to teach, I want to give them the opportunity to do so, but would not require them.

Having said that, I think all black belts should be "able" to teach. That is, if needed in an emergency or on an irregular basis, I believe a black belt (especially a 2nd dan and above) should be able to take over a class or two. I think 1st dans should be primarily working on making themselves better technicians-they have enough to work on without the added responsibility of training others.

TigerWoman said:

Not just by T & E, but there is no better teacher than experience. You can't learn to teach from a book (just like you can't learn TKD from a book). You have to get on the mat and teach.

TigerWoman said:

Nice thought-provoking thread TW! I know in some dojangs, people are automatically instructor-trainees by virtue of their black belt. If this works, it is great. But, I think that if you are going to be a regular instructor, you have to take the opportunity to learn how to teach.

Miles

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said, Miles. I agree w/ you when you say not all BB's should be expected to teach. I've found a lot of good fighters can't TEACH their way out of a bag. Unfortunatly, if you're a good fighter, people ask you for advice. So, you're impromptu "teacher" often. Or, these folks are often asked to do seminars, etc. Only a few of them are thoughtful enough to say, "This works for me. It may not work for you."

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look at Major League Baseball. Journeymen pitchers often make better pitching coaches then aces. Aces can often rely on superior talent and 'stuff'. Journeymen, who have successful careers, usually have to rely on making the best of average skills and can thus better help others of average skill to common better and make the best of their talent. Aces often don't make good coaches because they don't know how to really teach mortals to become great.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black belts in our school have a profiency standard, in other words have demonstrated they know the basics and are physically able to teach the colored belts. This does not mean that they are good at teaching nor do they always want to. But there are some who think the black belt gives them the right to add their own ideas and not check them out with the master instructor first or at least investigate them fully with documented information ie. before instructing someone ie. to do a floor exercise that could wreck his back or have do a complicated technique a student is not ready for.

I think the trouble comes when there is no black belt "instructor" program in which a black belt has further training in just teaching. Some of our bb's have been mentored occasionally. Some student black belts have had prior "teaching" experience in life that aids them but still there should be a program in TKD specifics. I know, I have been trying for years for such a class to be implemented. I see too many bb's teaching their own ideas as if that belt gave them the right. :rolleyes: The master (6th) did start a black belt class finally a few months ago after years at my urging. But it is just forms done slowly so that they are each done in detail. While that is good, it is not enough to be just a good technician and it doesn't teach how to teach. And since hardly any of the bb's go, it is getting monotonous as he goes over the same stuff we are supposed to know already. ;)

I know Fearless, Marginal, you are into the details of physiology, kinetics of technique. I think it is important to know details, to break down a technique to show a student why theirs isn't working. But say if they have hip problems, back problems, weight problems, knee problems, how does that affect it? I would also like to have more detail about floor exercise, what exercises could be damaging if done incorrectly, what could hurt a back etc. What exercise is not good for TKD'ins. What exercises should be done in cool down? What stretches should never be done before warming up. How can Yoga on off days help. How proper breathing helps. Why a front kick done 2000-5000 times in one hour could be more damaging than beneficial. Alot of my knowledge has been learned by myself. I know I'm not getting mentored now, so I read and watch tapes, ask questions occasionally and basically am doing it by trial and error. To have a syllabus would be wonderful. I only have my notebook from eight+ years and alot of books etc. So I recognize that I have to tread softly.

I think a black belt class dealing with these issues, an open forum so that black belts can ask them is necessary as a time in which learning can be expanded. But then it depends on the master's knowledge as well. I think it would be helpful if masters would be required to have some kind of formal physiology course as it applies to Taekwondo. Also a syllabus, an actual program like Miles has, should be there by master level! Okay, off my rant. But you have the gist of my thoughts. TW

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
(1) How many of you have actual black belt classes just for learning how to teach?

I teach class management skills, also how to speak effectivley

My mentor is a TKD Grand Master, as a martial artist, an instructor and a business owner

Read............there are programs out there for anyone, you just need to find them.

No, I would have said yes a few years ago, but I have found that some people have no communication skills at all, and do not want them.

If that's the only option, as I said before, there are programs (thru NAPMA and MAIA - as well as others) where people can learn how to teach.

(6) Insert your own opinions here.

Good thread, good questions.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A person is not a teacher, can one learn how to teach, sure. With that being said Martial Art is not like High School or College, you are there for your particular reason in most cases it is about SD or Physical fitness, than after a while they have obtain a BB from said school.

I believe the love for the Art itself is what makes a teacher, they become devoted to said Art, they are willing to put in all the extra time time to learn how to teach usaully by just attending classes and watching and learning all the elements that come along with it.

Now here is the said part greed steps in a person figures wow I can make extra so and so for a few hours a week, but these people on programs and make all that cash. The sad thing is these are the folks that have never ever put any amount of time in the Dojang to learn everything about teaching, for me it is not about a class, it is about your personal journey through MA thta is important.

Every single BB I personally know outside my Dojang in the area are about how much they can charge without giving nothing back to the society they live in they are leaches not BB.

A class would be nice to try and teach people how to teach, but in reality the teacher comes from watching there Master for years of sweet inside the Dojang.
Terry

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score

ANS: Instructor's clinics are held every-other-month at Chayon-Ryu headquarters and are a requirement for students 5th Gup and above. At 5th Gup, students begin a formalized "assistantship" under a head instructor (with years of classroom teaching experience). This helps keep the rank requirements standardized as well as the teacing method in the Chayon-Ryu system. Also, once someone achieves 1st Dan, they already have several years of assistant instruction experience.

ANS: I am under the direct instruction of Grandmaster Kim Soo. http://www.kimsookarate.com

ANS: I believe that knowing how to teach and break down the material for many different people to understand helps the teacher become better in their own education and skills.

ANS: If they have no one as a direct instructor, they have to learn by trial-and-error. If someone has a direct instructor, there is no reason to re-invent the wheel.

(6) Insert your own opinions here.

ANS: Students being expected to instantly teach once they make the rank of 1st dan without learning "how to teach," is probably one reason why there is so much poor instruction in TKD today. Also a probable reason why students get injured under the guidance of well-meaning, yet ill-prepared instructor. Instructors need to learn how to teach then practice what they learn dealing with actual students and situations.

R. McLain

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I know Fearless, Marginal, you are into the details of physiology, kinetics of technique. I think it is important to know details, to break down a technique to show a student why theirs isn't working. But say if they have hip problems, back problems, weight problems, knee problems, how does that affect it?

None of the instructors encourage students to do techniques if they think they aren't physically up to it. For example, if they call a series that involves a lot of jumping spinning kicks etc, they'll be sure to offer alternatives. Usually involves the older students keeping to the ground and substituting jumping techniques for less demanding reverse kicks etc. No shame in doing what you're capable of vs damaging yourself. The most asked of any student is that you do your best, and try to better that each time. If a student cannot perform a technique because of an injury, congenital condition etc, they're just asked to get it as close to form as they can manage.

I would also like to have more detail about floor exercise, what exercises could be damaging if done incorrectly, what could hurt a back etc./quote]

We don't really do much conditioning in typical class. There are sparring classes, which are more focused on throwing a ton of kicks, but we're rarely asked to throw high multiples of any kick in regular class. Usually it's 5-10 mins of easy stretching and warmup exercises like jumping jacks, rising kicks etc. Follow that up with patterns then floor exercises, or a mixture of the two. Sparring, or self defense, or more patterns usually cap the class off. Usually we're warned not to over train, but conditioning's left to the student. Helps keep injuries on the floor down. Stuff like what's damaging is usually kept to anecdotal asides (Don't ingore a tight hamstring 'cause it knocked Mr. X out of training for a year etc) outside of hoshinsul seminars. They're very respectful of the potential for injury with joint locks, throws etc.

No requirements for BB's to acheive full splits or anything like that. Not everyone's equally flexible and so on.

I think a black belt class dealing with these issues, an open forum so that black belts can ask them is necessary as a time in which learning can be expanded. But then it depends on the master's knowledge as well. I think it would be helpful if masters would be required to have some kind of formal physiology course as it applies to Taekwondo.

That does sound interesting.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, instruction is very much like acting. You assume the role of instructor and teach word for word, the script and or lesson plan. The need for psychology may be usefull in a one on one level. But the group must learn to work out a basic lesson as announced and demonstrated. The more you become used to saying what needs to be said, you can personalize the message with body language, and speech inflections. Very little instruction is off the cuff.
Sean

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Because Taekwondo has a different instruction method, I ask this to only practicing TKD black belts, please:

1)
Yes, once a month for all Red and Black Belts in each state. Also, all students in our organization are required to be able to teach anything below their rank and are given oppertunities in class under instructor supervision. They start learning this from the day they walk in the class.

2)
Every other year we host a week long camp and the main focus of the senior black belts is to teach new instructors and Black belts how to teach. (Even sticky subjets like Moral Culture, demotions, Time limits, the business of how to start your own class...)

The underlying premissis of your question starts running into some phylosophical differences amongst students and organizations. And I think I know where you are coming from.

In my past organization, at 4th degree black belt, the meaning of the stripes on the arm was "International Instructor".

Long, long ago there used to be a class for this - so that the stripes had meaning. Now all 4th dans put the stripes on their arms as soon as they test, so it just means 4th degree.
At this rank you are supposed to send in $300 - $500 for a piece of paper that the head organization gives, certifying that you are an International Instructor. Most of the 4th degrees and above never sent in the money. I never did as I don't need another piece of paper worth that much money. 99.9% of these people have never taught outside of the USA, and I would say more than 75% of them have never taught, even though they call themselves "International Instructors".

Then they came up with an Instructor course where you were certified as an A, B, & C instructor. Unfortunately too these courses had nothing to do with teaching but were just in-deapth patterns classes.

The thing that most students question is what their organization touts.
In the above examples I have given you, the first example is what is known as PADI (Put another dollar in). The second is nameing something it isn't - These people have acheived certification for attending a patterns course, which in no means has anything to do with instruction.

This is where students get confused as many organizations name things improperly. Some because they are forigners trying to use English nomenclature (round house kick, turning kick... Taekwon-Do, TaeKwonDo, Taekwondo...) Some make these mandatory just so they can make money to keep their organizations a float. For what ever reason this is confusing to students.

Now you are asking what is the responsibility of a Black belt to the Art. Well that is dependent on the quality of the organization. Does your organization use terms like "International Instructor", "Master Instructor" or just 4th Degree and "Master"

If they use the term "Master Instructor" you would tend to believe that this person knew how to teach. Not so in some organizations. I know of 7th, 8th, and 9th Dans who don't know how to teach. But within their organization that is ok. Becuase the value of this rank is that they showed up twice a week for X amount of time. That is their definition of Master Instructor. It mearly means they have been around for a while.

In most martial arts the lower rank requirements and responsibilities are well defined. And the phylosophy is to make the student better than the instructor. However, what a Black belts responsibility to the Art and the organization is usually not well defined.

In most martial arts the dictatorship only works when the highest rank is not questioned. (no need for checks and balances). As most martial arts grow the number of seniors the tendency is to split off because as you become higher and higher rank you wish to participate, teach seminars, have a say on things. This is threatening to the leaders.

It is inherant to the organization to set the standards of what the responsibilities of the Black belts are. If you say you require Black belts to teach then the organization should afford venues to:
  • Teach Black belts how to teach
  • Teach Higher black belts how to teach these black belts
  • Devise methods of ongoing training to ensure standards
  • Devise oppertunites to support them teaching
This is a lot of work for organizations when many times they have a very hard time coming up with "manditory this and that" to make money.

Instructors often question when you have to pay to do all the work for an organization and then you have to pay to have someone tell you how to do all the work of the organization.

Hey, "What does this organization do for me?"
This is a dangerious question that most organizations don't want asked.

In another vein, anyone who has ever been responsible to have their own class will tell you that they have learned just as much from teaching as they have from working out.
And anyone who has ever contimplated starting their own class has been worried that they wont get to learn by working out as much because they are too busy teaching. (Unfortunately this is an excuse as people make time to do what they want)

I guess in the simpelest of terms when I went to New Zeeland I was most impressed with their gradings as if any part of the test was unsatisfactory then the person failed. This left no question as to what any seniors ability was. Once you start making excuses then the rank had no meaning.

We require this from 4th degrees and above. Also the stripes on the arms must be earned by courses and testing. That way they mean something.

I have no qualm with a student not teaching, but I also believe that, in Ch'ang-Hon TKD they should not rise above 3rd dan. This is not bad, but as General Choi said, "The art can afford to loose those who are not willing to sacrafice for it".

I also believe that a good organization leads by example and not by requirement. You can not just require things. This just causes discord in the lower ranks and produces another stupid requirement in which the reason is lost.

If you say you don't believe in haveing to know how to teach then you start to run into a slippery sloap. Then you may allow someone to test that can't break, then someone whom can't fight, then someone whom can't do patterns. Then you have no idea what the rank means as you allow excuses.

Which organization would you rather belong to:

A) Our Black belts show up Tuesday and Thursday

B) Our Black belts:
  • Must be certified as instructors
  • Must attend an annual instructors seminar
  • Must maintain x amount of hours teaching
  • Must be CPR certified
  • Must attend X amount of classes in other training
However an organization is made up of individuals and an organization can not mandate integrity.
Integrity can only be guarded by the instructor and student.
I hope this gave you some food for thought.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score

We had instructor meetings to go over the finer points of teaching and other things to help us become better instructors.

The ATA as a whole requires three seperate camps dedicated to becoming a more effective and efficient instructor before one can become a certified instructor in the organization.

Yes and no. The first day in a instruction capacity had me simply watching how my instructor taught while I held pads, helped make corrections to student's technique, and other tasks.

After a few classes, he would give me a set warm-up and floor drill routine to do for the classes while he watched. After a while, I was allowed to come up and run my own warm-up and floor drill routine while he watched. Even later after that, he would leave the work out floor for 5-10 minutes and have me handle classes alone for a bit before returning. He slowly increased the amount of time he left me alone until I was running entire classes by myself.

The entire time, he would give me critiques after classes to my teaching, how to handle certain things, etc. to help me get better at teaching. This method allowed me to slowly get into teaching, while allowing the students and any parents to get comfortable with me as a new instructor.

No. Technical ability does not equal teaching ability. Some people simply are not well suited for teaching. There are other ways a black belt can help the school and other students that does not require teaching.

Yes and no.

No, they should not learn by trial and error alone because other students are paying money to get quality instruction. As a student, I don't want to endure 4+ weeks of poor classes while some new instructor is learning to get his act together.

Yes, because I think trial and error is always a part of learning. I'm sure all instructors try new drills, exercises, etc. in their classes once and while. Sometimes they work great, other times they just don't see to go well.

New instructors should not learn how to teach by trial and error. Experienced instructors should try new things once in a while to enchance their teaching and their student's training.

Latest Discussions