BLACK Belt

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is just for taekwondoists...
I recently spent time with my nephew who is a 2nd Dan Kukkiwon BLACK, and who was on the all US Army Taekwondo Team. After speaking to him, it really made me feel that my 1st Dan Kukkiwon Black is worthless compared to his rank and stature.

It took my nephew 5+ years to earn his first Dan BLACK, but, I was able to pick mine up in 3 years. It seems that he is so much more advanced as a TKD artist and as a martial artist in general than I am.

It all comes down to the fact that I earned my BLACK though a commercial TKD dojang. I've trained under a 7th Dan Kukkiwon BLACK belt who was born and grew up in Korea. But his dojang is here in the States, so he has had to water down his curriculum.
I know he's the best of the best, but, when I see who he promotes to BLACK, which includes some people who are NOT deserving, then I have come to question my own 1st DAN rank.
It seems after comparing my training, although it was difficult, doesn't match with other MAs.

It makes me think that Americanized dojangs do a diservice to my beloved Korean martial art of Taekwondo. What's your take?

R

RCastillo

In some respects, you're right. There are a list of many as to why it's changed, so I won't bore you with that.

Keep in mind the differences of how the both of you were trained but, you're still a BB, no matter what. However, keep strengthening your TKD as you see fit, as we can always do more.:asian:

M

MountainSage

I don't believe it matter in what forum you recieve your training, it's more about the teacher. If your teacher is a detail demon then you get some details that are left out by sparring schools. My teacher is a former engineer and vietnam vet, as a result, we get a lot of training in the physics of the MA and the reality of the training we are doing. I believe that a teacher who has had a "real" life, outside the MA is a better teacher than those who spend their live emersed in the MA. I will get my BB in about 2 years and have trained 2 1/2 years. I need a lot more than 2 years to get better.

Mountain Sage

A

A.R.K.

cali_tkdbruin,

I understand your concern on this matter. But remember as I've stated numerous times, rank is subjective and relative. You just can't compare yourself to others, and they can't compare themselves to you. There is no 'starting point' or 'base line' to go by really. Quite obviously you pasted your instructor's requirements and he promoted you to where he felt you should be.

Your nephew sounds like he has had the benefit of tremendous pratical experience which is reflected in his ability. This makes a difference, but doesn't take away from your ability even if it is not the equal. You are currently the best YOU can be and that is what matters.

You mentioned...

I know he's the best of the best, but, when I see who he promotes to BLACK, which includes some people who are NOT deserving, then I have come to question my own 1st DAN rank.

Is this because they truly aren't qualified and he is simply passing them through because of $$? Or is it that their ability is not the equal of yours? If the first then you have a legitimate question. If the second, if they are performing at their personal best and passing the requirements then everything sounds like it has been earned.

As a suggestion, tell your instructor that you wish not to be promoted until you feel you have earned it. Or discuss your concern and ask him to work with you on increasing your current level of skill. He should feel honored to do so....if he cares more about you than your $$.

Just some thoughts, but as long as you have given your best, feel confident in what you have accomplished.

:asian:

T

tkdcanada

I may be way off here but a couple of things came to mind. Could it be that your nephew, (I don't know his age or yours but it's a thought) was held back and slowed down because of his young age (if in fact he is/was quite young)? Also, because of that younger age, it may be possible that he was able to perfect on techniques that you may have trouble with and not quite be able to master completely although your instructor was still convinced that you mastered them to the best of your abilities (even though they may not match the abilities of someone else - we all have very unique abilities and limitations). Many times younger people can learn to manipulate their bodies much more efficiently, so it may not be that your nephew got better training than you, just that he was able to do certain things better due to his own natural abilities. One last point, maybe the idea that he seems so much more advanced in TKD than you is due to your perception. We are always harder on ourselves and often don't give ourselves the credit that others easily give us. Just a few things to think about.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
In some respects, you're right. There are a list of many as to why it's changed, so I won't bore you with that.

Keep in mind the differences of how the both of you were trained but, you're still a BB, no matter what. However, keep strengthening your TKD as you see fit, as we can always do more.:asian:

Thanks for the support Mr. C.
I'll just keep, keepin' on in the MAs.. :asian:

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
cali_tkdbruin,

Is this because they truly aren't qualified and he is simply passing them through because of $$? Or is it that their ability is not the equal of yours?

As a suggestion, tell your instructor that you wish not to be promoted until you feel you have earned it. Or discuss your concern and ask him to work with you on increasing your current level of skill. He should feel honored to do so....if he cares more about you than your $$.

A.R.K. ,
As much as I hate to admit it, some of the BB promotions at my dojang do come down to the almightly dollar. IMHO the BB testing fee is very high at my dojang, but that money helps keep the dojang afloat.

I had the opportunity to help teach some classes in which some newly promoted BLACK belts participated, I'm referring to kids less than 12 who are BBs, and it really sours me on my school when I see these kids train. They screw around, and waste valuable training time. If I were the SBN I would never promote youngsters unless I was very, very certain that they were mature enough to be a BLACK belt, and I knew that they would comport themselves as the proper role models that they need to be. These BB kids at my dojang are a lost cause, and it disgusts me. :mad:

I hate when some people refer to TKD as a watered down MA because when it's taught correctly it's really not a weak art. It can be effective, but, when your school concerns itself more with the $$$ as opposed to providing quality instruction and promoting only those most deserving, then we just feed the anti-TKD naysayers.

Just my thoughts, and I will take your advice to keep honing my skills, thanks... :asian:

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by tkdcanada
I may be way off here but a couple of things came to mind. Could it be that your nephew, (I don't know his age or yours but it's a thought) was held back and slowed down because of his young age (if in fact he is/was quite young)? Also, because of that younger age, it may be possible that he was able to perfect on techniques that you may have trouble with and not quite be able to master completely although your instructor was still convinced that you mastered them to the best of your abilities (even though they may not match the abilities of someone else - we all have very unique abilities and limitations). Many times younger people can learn to manipulate their bodies much more efficiently, so it may not be that your nephew got better training than you, just that he was able to do certain things better due to his own natural abilities. One last point, maybe the idea that he seems so much more advanced in TKD than you is due to your perception. We are always harder on ourselves and often don't give ourselves the credit that others easily give us. Just a few things to think about.

My nephew is 24, he started in the MAs when he was 6. He began with Karate, and when he was 9 he switched over to TKD. He earned his 1st dan at about 16. He's now a 2nd dan. So, he's been a TKDist for 15 years. The last couple of years he was a member of the All US Army Taekwondo team.

Tonight I invited him to come and train with us at our dojang. I, along with most of the rest of the students at our school were so damn impressed with this kid's skills. Now I know why he was on the all army TKD team! He's so friggin' quick, so strong, he has blinding speed, it was awesome watching him train. :eek:

He is eons advanced in terms of his TKD skills compared to the rest of the students at my dojang. He's on the elite level, while we are just scrubs.

I agree with your point that maybe we are harder on ourselves when we do self-evaluations, but, comparing my commerical TKD training and background to my nephew's is just ludicrous. In my mind, perhaps biased as it is, he's what a TKD artist should always represent. Tonight was the first time I have seen him train in about 8 years and I was so extremely impressed. It was just awesome... :asian:

T

tkdcanada

I can just imagine how good he is, especially if he's been training since the age of six years old! He's lucky to have had such good training!

M

MountainSage

Cali,
It appears to me what you see with your nephew is the effects of having the opportunity to train a lot and have a high repetition rate on individual skills combine with natural talent. It doesn't hurt that he's in a situation were all members are working for the same goal and are highly motivated. I'll bet he's one of those individuals that good at any athletics he tries. As far as promotion in TKD vs. skill level, I won't even go there on this forum because theres not enough memory space for my ranting. I'll leave it at that we, in the US, are getting short changed in the art of TKD.

Mountain Sage

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
Agreed! And that's the whole point of my post... :asian:

It's probably wrong for me to do this but I implement some Kenpo into the TKD, as far as the "Self Defense" is concerned because much of it is just blocking/punching/kicking, and has little to offer.

On the other hand, I've used my kicking foundation from TKD, within Kenpo, because, that's what I've been taught, and it's a strong base to work from.

In the katas, I also implement "Sine Wave", because the movements seen from others are not crisp, flat footed, no body torque. Makes for good floor walking exercises as well.:asian:

Guess I'm gonna get jumped on now.:anic:

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the colour of your belt only signifies what you know and not how good you are.

Someone maybe more physically gifted than yourself, but if you know the syllabus then you have as much right to a black belt as the next man.

M

MountainSage

Castillo,
No flame, you have shown how you are approaching the issue of the shortcomings of modern TKD. You feel Kempo will fill the void in the training while I see Shuai Chiao is the way to fill the gap. We as TKDers have a common problem, yet there are a diverse amount of solutions, each tailored to individual needs. If you get flame for your response, then that person doesn't really understand the problem.

Mountain Sage

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been in TKD since I was 7 years old, I am now 28 you do the math. I am currently ranked at 3rd degree BB, not to be modest but I see some who are ranked higher and dont measure up to me or my level of training, I dont let that bother me or disapoint me in any way, your instructor has placed you where you are because of his standards, not all teachers or dojangs are the same.
If you see someone who is ranked higher and not at your level be thankful that your teacher was strict. If you see someone who is either the same rank or higher and you feel that they are better than you train harder and strive to be in thier shoes.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me, it's it was awesome watching somebody of that stature practicing our art of TKD. To even see someone who's on the elite level do any of the martial arts in general is just incredible. But to see somebody practice taekwondo like that is just so,so impressive. :asian:

Straight up, I started beliveing the hype that Taekwondo was a punk *** art. For the record, I'm a 1st dan Kukkiwon BLACK. Anyway, after watching my little nephew, I know now that TKD can be a very mean, effective martial art.

It's just unbelieveable the skills that this kid, my nephew has!!! But, then again, I guess that's why he was chosen to be on the all US-Army Taekwondo team.

To me, he's awesome, just friggin' awesome. As I previously said, I started questioning my beloved TKD art, I really started thinking that my art was worthless, but after seeing my Lil' nephew parctice our art, now I know that we TKDists are capable, and can rank up there among with the rest of the MAs when we're trained correctly... :mst: :ultracool

A

A.R.K.

I understand where your coming from. I often thought in years past that TKD was a joke. And unfortunately, in part it truly is. It has been commercialized, watered down and butchered in the interest of the almighty $. But any discipline can be. TKD can be just as effective as any other discipline and a TKD practitioner that has trained in what I refer to as 'real' TKD have no reason to hang their heads low.

So keep your head high! ;)

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
I understand where your coming from. I often thought in years past that TKD was a joke. And unfortunately, in part it truly is. It has been commercialized, watered down and butchered in the interest of the almighty $. But any discipline can be. TKD can be just as effective as any other discipline and a TKD practitioner that has trained in what I refer to as 'real' TKD have no reason to hang their heads low.

So keep your head high! ;)

Yes sir! you hit the nail right on the head. Usually when the art becomes too commercialized then its practitioners and the entire art for that matter suffers. When other non-TKD artists see that, they begin believing that Taekwondo is a joke.

TKD really can be an awesome art if we would stay away from the commercialization and the draw of the almighty dollar. Unfortunately, for dojangs here in the States to survive, you almost have to give into the lure of the $$$.

If a TKD practitioner is taught the art the way it should be taught, which is hard core, no frills combat style then TKD artists can rank right up there with any style martial artist...:asian:

M

MountainSage

Not meaning to be disrespectful of you guy, but I think we have hashed and rehashed the problem with modern TKD. Now how about getting some solutuions figured. This is one of those doctor heal they self situation. My first suggestion to solve the problem is remove TKD from the Olympics; second, only US citizen can hold any office in US TKD organizations, citizens by birth or naturalization; thirdly, create a promotion organization similar to Kikkiwon for the USA. There are few individuals in the USA that have any need to be recognized on the international level for other than ego.

Mountain Sage

Latest Discussions