If you had to choose one of these 3

Bob Gnuheart

White Belt
Reaction score
I know that the instructor makes all the difference and you should visit, but...

If a Jeet kune do school, a Hapkido school, and a school that taught Kenpo and Japanese jujutsu were all equidistant from you and these were your 3 only choices, which would you choose & why?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that the instructor makes all the difference and you should visit, but...

If a Jeet kune do school, a Hapkido school, and a school that taught Kenpo and Japanese jujutsu were all equidistant from you and these were your 3 only choices, which would you choose & why?

Given that you are asking the question based on the art alone, I would go with Hapkido or Japanese jujutsu. No offense to the JKD people out there, it's just that the arts I recomended are more "complete" than what most JKD schools offer.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the curriculum and your goals.

If the JKD school wasn't progressive in their thinking and training, then probably not. But that would be my initial choice if they were.

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kempo and Japanese Jujutsu......Why? Because that is what I do. :D
Sorry, just had to do it. I believe that between those two you would have a pretty well rounded curriculum.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I ewoudl go with Kenpo and Jiu Jitsu . Good for all around ground fighting, SD, and standup fighting.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends on what I thought of the instructor, curriculum, class schedule, training facilities, other members of the school, etc.

I don't think you can just choose by style unless you have a real overriding reason to do so (i.e. prior training, philosophical reasons, etc.)

That being said, I agree about the JKD, you're not as sure about what you're getting...

Kenpo and Jui jitsu, I'm not crazy about a school that tries to integrate multiple styles off the bat. Not sure that's what they're doing, though. At a certain point, it's kind of like JKD, you can't be sure of what you're getting with a fusion program. Fine if they do it well, but how can you tell? If you're an experienced MAist, those concerns are a bit mitigated for me.

No real comment, positive or negative on the Hapkido. It's a fine martial art.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
JKD because it intersts me or Japanese jujutsu because it was the first art I trained. After that, as it has been said, depends on the teacher.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the experience of the student, and the type of Kenpo, I will say Kenpo. JKD is streamlined/ajusted to the student, Kenpo can be streamlined or adapted to the principles/guidelines of JKD.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Assuming the instructors were equal, etc. etc.:

The one with the most hot chicks! :D

;) :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that the instructor makes all the difference and you should visit

Yes!

All things being equal, Jeet kune do is the best bet for realistic self-defense that will be adjusted to your strengths. Hapkido is also good for self-defense, as is Japanese jujutsu on which it was based. Kenpo is a term with many meanings. Some art better than others.

But you have to check out the schools!

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That depends. Would I be starting from ground zero with no prior knowlege or would I be starting with what I know now?

If I were to start with what I know now, I wouldn't choose any of them. I have zero interest in jujitsu or JKD. Hapkido maybe, but Hapkido is so similar to Taekwondo that I'd stay with TKD and be happy.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
You named the only 3 styles that I really would be interested in taking if I were new to martial arts.
I can't decide out of those. I am from the kempo/jj family now, but it would be a tossup between the kempo and the JKD.
I love hapkido, but don't like jumping/flying kicks, so it would go to one of the other two. I do have huge respect for the amount of locks that hapkido contains.

AoG

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don`t know so much about kempo but I would probably go for Ju Jutsu since it is fun, physically challenging and good for self defense. I am a bit wary of KJD since I`ve met a few students of that art whose skills were mostly in the art of talking rater than anything useful. Don`t care much for the kicks in Hapkido either. No offense to anyone, just my experience.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The school that taught Kenpo and Japanese jujutsu. Two very good systems under one roof. NOW that is providing the instructors credentials where legit and the class was being well taught. Money for classes also comes into my making such decisions

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

I would have to go with the Hapkido school for the hands on type of training, locks and such since that is still my weak area.

Chuck

White Belt
Reaction score
I ewoudl go with Kenpo and Jiu Jitsu . Good for all around ground fighting, SD, and standup fighting.
Stand up and ground is very important,if the hands fail you take it to the ground.My father in-law was a pro boxer for 11 years and I messed around with him one day and even with him being in his 50's he can still give you one hell of a stand up battle,on the ground he be all mine.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hmmmm. A toughie. Assuming that all three have fantastic instructors, each would be a good choice.

I already practice hapkido, so I'm inclined to say that, but were I not, I'd probably go with the kenpo and Japanese Jujutsu school.

Now for the why: Always had an interest in kenpo (The King's MA of choice, thankya very much) and have always held a desire to learn jujutsu.

In spite of that, I wound up in taewondo and hapkido and am happy there.:)

Daniel

Latest Discussions