A Choice On A 2nd MA

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am very lucky. I get to start a 2nd MA. Also I am lucky that I have 3 very good schools in the area. There is a Judo school, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, and a Jeet Kune Do school. All the schools are very good and each have something that make them stick out. The Judo dojo competes in alot of grappling tourney's. (even NAGA) So that shows they have strong newaza. The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school is great, cause besides that good BJJ instruction, quite a bit of Sambo is in it. And the Jeet Kune Do school does alot of sparring. I can't choose. I heard that JKD is outdated, and that I should go to the BJJ school. Then I heard that the BJJ school is gonna have weak takedowns, so I should go to the Judo dojo.

I'm stuck in between my decision.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If they all offer trial classes, take them. You'll be able to decide which of the three you may like...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very lucky. I get to start a 2nd MA. Also I am lucky that I have 3 very good schools in the area. There is a Judo school, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, and a Jeet Kune Do school. All the schools are very good and each have something that make them stick out. The Judo dojo competes in alot of grappling tourney's. (even NAGA) So that shows they have strong newaza. The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school is great, cause besides that good BJJ instruction, quite a bit of Sambo is in it. And the Jeet Kune Do school does alot of sparring. I can't choose. I heard that JKD is outdated, and that I should go to the BJJ school. Then I heard that the BJJ school is gonna have weak takedowns, so I should go to the Judo dojo.

I'm stuck in between my decision.

Any info. you can give on the instructors or anything more on the schools? ave you checked out any of them yet? If not, I'd take some time to look at each one, see how the classes are, take a trial class, etc.

Mike

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any info. you can give on the instructors or anything more on the schools? ave you checked out any of them yet? If not, I'd take some time to look at each one, see how the classes are, take a trial class, etc.

Mike

I can post the webpages of the schools if you'd like.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then I suggest writing a list of pros and cons with each of them. Cost, distance, instructor personality, etc., whatever might be important to consider, then look at the three lists again. That may help narrow your choices down.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Then sit down and write a list of pros and cons with each of them. Cost, distance, type, etc., whatever might be important to consider, then look at the three lists again. That may help narrow your choices down.

One step ahead of ya. I've done all of that. One is cheaper then the others, and the all of them are similar distance. I'm afraid to say that I feel like a kid in a candy store. I get to choose where I get to go, and I've having difficulty choosing.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One step ahead of ya. I've done all of that. One is cheaper then the others, and the all of them are similar distance. I'm afraid to say that I feel like a kid in a candy store. I get to choose where I get to go, and I've having difficulty choosing.

That's the fun part! If they're all equally suitable for you, then maybe go the eeny meeny miney moe route (draw straws).

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's the fun part! If they're all equally suitable for you, then maybe go the eeny meeny miney moe route (draw straws).

It's weird, cause I will feel like "Ok, I have picked what I'm going to do" Then a second later, I'm like "Wait a second..." It's silly I know, but very difficult.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's weird, cause I will feel like "Ok, I have picked what I'm going to do" Then a second later, I'm like "Wait a second..." It's silly I know, but very difficult.

You could always do all 3.

As nice as that would be, it'd probably be a bit too much. I know how you feel though...there are always so many things we want to do, but never enough time.

Good luck on your pick. :)

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a Judo school, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, and a Jeet Kune Do school. All the schools are very good and each have something that make them stick out. The Judo dojo competes in alot of grappling tourney's. (even NAGA) So that shows they have strong newaza. The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school is great, cause besides that good BJJ instruction, quite a bit of Sambo is in it. And the Jeet Kune Do school does alot of sparring. I can't choose. I heard that JKD is outdated, and that I should go to the BJJ school. Then I heard that the BJJ school is gonna have weak takedowns, so I should go to the Judo dojo.

Well, BJJ has great groundwork and adequate takedowns, but wrestling, Judo, and Sambo generally are better at takedown techniques (each in their own way). However, BJJ practitioners get good at dragging a person down to where a ground game can start without necessarily using a standing throw or takedown--though those are taught--which, by their rules, gets them to the same place.

I think JKD has a lot to offer and will help anything you do become better-rounded. I study it together with BJJ (at the same school) and have done some Judo. If you could only add one for self-defense, then I think JKD makes a lot of sense unless you really need to work on your ground game, in which case BJJ is sensible. For competition, Judo and BJJ are similar, yet quite different, choices.

What do you hope to gain? To add improved self-defense to your HKD, or to compete in grappling?

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Better self defense is always a plus. But I would like to get into some competition and one day get into MMA competition. And I feel any of those 3 could help me with that. I just need some direction to where to go.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, that's a wonderful dilemma to be in LegLockGuy! :)

Self-defense motives and competition motives are a bit different.

Fighters that train for self-defense reasons generally train for a fight they hope never happens.

Fighters that train for compeition generally train for a fight that they hope will happen.

The best choice is the one that really fits you interests. If your heart is leaning towards MMA competition, go with the BJJ. If your heart is elsewhere, then pick on of the other two. They are great choices...go with where your passion is leading you. :)

And do keep us posted as to how everything is going. :D

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
what do you train in now? if it's a grappling art, you may want to choose jkd to round it out. if it's a standup art, maybe the bjj or the judo...

I would like to know this as well. It would be what I would use to make a decision for myself. It is good to have styles that will help round out your skills.

So, what do you currently train in?

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To say JKD is out dated i would look at it more. It is far from out dated. A mix of JKD and jujitsu would be a strong back ground. Now Judo I would Think Iuf you prefure to grapple then both grappling arts would benifit you. but for a solid mix JKD and jujitsu . And you would not be prone to confusing your training. NOw for a beginer JKD takes a little time to grasp But you then soon see much improvement. Why not try 1 art for say at least 6 months then choose another doing both then That way you will have at least a starting foundation first

Latest Discussions