A Choice On A 2nd MA

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You already train Hapkido right?

I say go with the Judo. Probably the cheapest of the three and looks to be a good well rounded Judo school. Also, I believe the Judo or BJJ/Sambo would be better for you if you continue your Hapkido because I'm afraid some of the striking concepts of JKD may clash a bit with your Hapkido training.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually JKD is the cheapest at $75 a month. The Judo place and the BJJ place are both $100 a month. I'm starting to learn towards Judo. Simply because Judo is known for their great takedowns, and plus this school shows that they have great newaza. But I wont rule out the BJJ place. And it seems alot of people tell me that JKD will mess me up with Hapkido.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, JUDO....JUDO and JUDO....you will find Judo has alot of great stuffs, before you can grappler you must know about takedowns,throws, and falls.

JUDO has it all. Judo came from Jujitsu, but years later in Japan the Jujitsu school challenge the JUDO in Japan and lost.

Judo is one of the closest art to real fighting...don;t believe me...challenge any experience JUDOKA...you will find out real quick how effective this martial art is!

little over 2 year in Shotokan
11 plus years in Universal Kempo-karate
4 months Judo--still going and still learning

My suggestion is JUDO first.........just my thoughts on this....Aloha

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
The thing that worries me is that I wont remember all the different throws in Judo. (or worse, not remember their names)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing that worries me is that I wont remember all the different throws in Judo. (or worse, not remember their names)

Don`t worry about that. Just be patient and train stedily. The names are not that important are they? Can`t name half the throws I use in JJ myself.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to say, I actually wanted to do JKD, just cause that it's well rounded. But then alot of people told me that it would screw me up in Hapkido and confuse me alot. So now I'm looking towards Judo/BJJ.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
jkd is well rounded, and if that's what you want you should do it. it won't jack your hapkido training if you don't let it.

on the other hand, if you have hapkido experience, some grappling will make you even more well rounded when all is said and done.

don't worry about remembering the names. you'll be able to in time. just a matter of putting in the hours.

between bjj and judo is an interesting decision. i never say 'if i was you' cos i'm not. but if i were me in your situation i'd think about how traditional i want the training to be. if you lean towards tradition and old-school discipline, go with judo. if you're more modern and relaxed, go to the bjj. both are fine styles, and it sounds like you've researched both programs.

good luck in your search.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Better self defense is always a plus. But I would like to get into some competition and one day get into MMA competition. And I feel any of those 3 could help me with that. I just need some direction to where to go.

If you want to compete, you don't need a teacher who will impart to you an art. Instead, you need a coach who will take a wholistic look at your conditioning, training, and competition. Somebody who will find your areas of imbalance and weakness and show you how to shore them up.

Before you find such a person, you need to be your own coach. What's the area of your game you most need to work on?

Don't be afraid of trying a place for a few months. You can always work on something else later. You might even decide to cycle your training at all three. Spend a month or six doing Judo and work on your throws. Then move to BJJ and work submissions. Take some time practicing Muay Tai at the BJJ club to work on your clinch and the explosivenes of your strikes. While any skill you aren't practicing regularly will degrade, they'll still be in your toolbox.

Set training goals, and work to meet them.

Don't be afraid to seek out private instruction.

And have fun!

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for very informative, and nice replies. I do have until christmas to decide so that's a good thing that I have time. I did a little of MT and BJJ training in september, but the place was very expensive and far. I have researched the pros, cons, and principles of each system. The Judo place is sounding very good, cause I already know that they are very good with takedowns, and they love newaza so it's not neglected. The BJJ place incorporates alot of Sambo leg locks, so that's a plus. And the JKD place (despite being the cheapest) has a very great teacher, who likes to be well rounded and who likes to spar alot to make sure the skill of his students is high.

Thinking of my weakness, I think there are areas I could patch up. My ground game could be better, and so could my striking.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were to pick 2 then I would pick JKD and Judo. The reason being that even though Judo and BJJ are similiar they are different enough that you could get the cirriculum's confused.

I have my dan in judo, my friend has began BJJ with Rodrigo Vaghi who got his 3rd dan from Rickson Gracie. There are big similiarities but I have a feeling that a from scratch beginner would get confused.

Just my .02. Good luck. I know you will enjoy whichever it is you choose.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
You do mostly Hapkido, correct? Well then go with something that would complement that. Jeet Kune Do teaches grappling, but focuses on strikeing. Brazillian Ju Jutsu teaches striking, but focuses on grappling. And Judo only teaches grappling. From what I understand Hapkido is like BJJ, in-that it teaches strikes, but focuses on grappling. Then go from there.
If you want to learn more standing material, try out Jeet Kune Do. If you would like to continue to learn mostly grappling material go with either Judo, or BJJ. Also sit in on a class, look into the head hancho's lineage. If he doesn't want you to do one them, his school isn't worth the bother. Sitting in gives you an oppertunity to see if what is being taught is something you would be into, or if you might get your current circulum and there teachings confused. If they don't know there lineage, then they may have learned from books, or have been kicked out of the association.
Good luck.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You do mostly Hapkido, correct? Well then go with something that would complement that. Jeet Kune Do teaches grappling, but focuses on strikeing. Brazillian Ju Jutsu teaches striking, but focuses on grappling. And Judo only teaches grappling. From what I understand Hapkido is like BJJ, in-that it teaches strikes, but focuses on grappling. Then go from there.
If you want to learn more standing material, try out Jeet Kune Do. If you would like to continue to learn mostly grappling material go with either Judo, or BJJ. Also sit in on a class, look into the head hancho's lineage. If he doesn't want you to do one them, his school isn't worth the bother. Sitting in gives you an oppertunity to see if what is being taught is something you would be into, or if you might get your current circulum and there teachings confused. If they don't know there lineage, then they may have learned from books, or have been kicked out of the association.
Good luck.
I take BJJ, and in my years of training we have never done any striking at all. The only time we came close was when one of my former instructors would put on the boxing gloves and we had to get inside and clinch with him while he swung at us. Actually, traditional Judo does have striking, but it is not heavily praticed.

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
sambo is reputed to have very good takedowns. If the BJJ school teaches that together which their standard BJJ it should give you a well rounded ground game.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
sambo is reputed to have very good takedowns. If the BJJ school teaches that together which their standard BJJ it should give you a well rounded ground game.
I agree. The choice between the BJJ school with the Sambo guy, and the Judo school would be hard.

The Judo school seems pretty progressive sinse they obviously must do some no-gi training if they compete in NAGA tournaments, and the fact that you are more likely to get better compitition from Judoka (since there just tends to be more Judo schools out there) in the takedown part of the game has me leaning towards the Judo school. It's hard though, because I truely think both could be good.

Maybe pick the one that has the best training partners for you (beginner/intermediate guys of around your size and weight). While having good instruction is important, having good teammates and training partners is just as important.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was unaware that you were training in hapkido at the time of my 1st post. Sorry, dude go with Judo. It compliments hapkido very well. You will not go wrong with it.

BJJ is also a great compliment, however I am leaning towards Judo.