Most arts practiced at once?

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

With all of the debate on whether (and when) one should study more than one art, I was wondering what was the most number of martial arts you, or someone you have heard of, have studied at once. I guess to make the question a bit more specific, I would define studying an art to be receiving formal or semi-formal instruction in an art at least once a month.

The reason why I ask is that the last 4 schools I took classes from (I've moved around alot) taught multiple martial arts. The current school I just signed with teaches 3, the school before that taught 4, the school before that taught 3, and the school before that taught 8. Furthermore, I just bought some books from a store that is attached to a school that teaches 9! All of the examples I listed have seperate classes for each are. Another thing to note is that in all cases, the same instructor is not teaching all of the classes. from the schools with 8 and 9 different arts taught, I believe that the most one instructor teaches is 3.

So, what is the most number of arts you've studied at once? Mine is 2 (Jujitsu and Karate a few years ago and Judo and Hapkido now).

Jon

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done two. In TSD, I started Jujitsu before I moved (no rank). Now I do TKD and I dabbled in Judo (I love those throws :D ).

But then again both arts are mixed. TSD was mixed with Hapkido. This one is mixed with Chin Na. I don't know if that counts, but ....

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think one should stay in their art and not study others. at the end one should be able to represent (like the masters of old) the purity of their style. now if they choose to study under a mma school or a hybred well they should stay trued to that hybred or mma! does that make sense?

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first started I was doing Shotokan, Gung-Fu, Jujitsu, and Aikijujitsu. I now study modern Arnis, Kyusho Jitsu, Ryukyu Kempo, Kia Jitsu, Jodoryu Jujitsu, and Wei Kuen Do

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just two at once here........American Kenpo (Parker's) and Arnis. I now still do Kenpo with some Doce Pares thrown in. I had done Kenpo for about 3-4 years before I started my Arnis training.

M

Mark Weiser

Three forms of Kenpo and Jun Bao Wu Shu for a total of 4 lol

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont think it is good to study more than two at a time because you wont get a solid base in any of the styles. I think its good to train in one grappling style and one striking style at a time. Only once you attain a solid base in each one, should you formally train in anything else. I mess around with alot of styles, but just for the fun factor, I only formally train in two.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, last year, I studied Aikido, cabales serrada, Bujinkan Taijutsu (which technically contains 9.lol) taiji, and was ready to start Hapkido. too many arts.

Primaries: Aikido and Bujinkan Taijutsu
secondaries:HSC on Jujutsu and tushka-homa

want to study: more Booj budo, Shuai jiao, and some form of SE asian arts

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to disagree with the idea that training in several styles won't give a person a "base". I know two young men who have done just that. Both are currently second degree black belts in TKD. Both are apprentice instructors in JKD/Kali under Guro Inosanto.

One studies Pencak Silat Mande Muda, and is preparing for his Jagabaya rank once Ibu Rita gets back into the country (it'll be awhile, and he'll be ready long before that), he also has a black belt in Modern Arnis and has achieved a level in T'ai Chi where the instructor said he's qualified to teach. He's also "dabbled" in (read "put some significant time in studying" ) Pa Kua, Five Animal Style, Hapkido, and Sayoc kali. He's got a bit of ground time on the mat in grappling as well.

The other is an official representative of Erik Paulson's Combat Submission Wrestling, has trained in judo, Muay Thai (level one), has a blue belt in Brazilian jujitsu, and has boxed at the amateur level. His next step is to train in Majapahit silat.

Both of them turned 21 this summer.

It can be done, given discipline and the right environment for training. Neither has suffered for their cross training. In fact, both have prospered quite a bit as martial artists.

Regards,

Steve

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think that if you seriously study the arts...and are able to commit yourself to them....then it doesn't matter....i train in three...there is a long tradition of cross-training in martial arts...even for those "masters of old"...i do not advocate a month at this gym and another month at this gym training regimen...that WILL NOt give you a solid base....

B

blackbeltedbeauty

I'm now practicing 4 at once. Jeet Kune Do, Guey Lee Do, Tae Kwon do, and kung Fu. It's difficult and gets abit confusing and hectic at times, but it's worth it. I plan to start ninjutsu soon as well for my 5th art.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started with Tae Kwon Do until I got my 1st Dan. I found that it wasn't "my art" and switched to Kendo when I moved in Japan. When I got back to the states, I dabbled in Taido Karate, but gave that up after 4 months - definetely not for me. I'm doing Shaolin Kung fu now alongside Kendo, and find that combination suits me well.

Latest Discussions