If you could master any two MA what would it be?

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Two and Two only!
I'd go for CCK Taiji mantis and BJJ :)
I love the taiji mantis philosophy of speed, precision and sticking to ones opponent, and I like the grappling and groundwork of BJJ:)

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our Moo Duk Kwan TSD (using our because I know other MDK TSD schools do things differently) and BJJ.

Good Striking from TSD
Good Ground from BJJ
Good Standing Grappling from both

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Our Moo Duk Kwan TSD (using our because I know other MDK TSD schools do things differently) and BJJ.

Good Striking from TSD
Good Ground from BJJ
Good Standing Grappling from both
Nice:)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are we talking about instant mastery via genie wishes or about the real world achievements we are slowly working towards?

If it's genie wishes, I'll take judo and boxing. I'd love to have the skill without years of being slammed on the ground and punched in the head and the physical consequences thereof.

If we're talking real world, I don't think I'll ever truly master even one art, but I do have hopes of becoming a pretty good BJJ coach one day.

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are we talking about instant mastery via genie wishes or about the real world achievements we are slowly working towards?

If it's genie wishes, I'll take judo and boxing. I'd love to have the skill without years of being slammed on the ground and punched in the head and the physical consequences thereof.

If we're talking real world, I don't think I'll ever truly master even one art, but I do have hopes of becoming a pretty good BJJ coach one day.
This is instant wishes:)
I guess real life has a lot of twists turns, conditioning etc.
But this is just whatever you want to learn;)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well and I list it twice because sometimes it feels like I am learning more than one style at the same time. Hapkido has a lot going on.

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well and I list it twice because sometimes it feels like I am learning more than one style at the same time. Hapkido has a lot going on.
I guess hapkido is both a striking and grappling art

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is instant wishes:)
I think I'm going to change my answer to Judo and Dog Brothers martial arts. Instead of magically gaining the skill while sparing myself the being slammed and punched in the head, I can magically gain the skill while sparing myself the being slammed and hit in the head with heavy sticks. That's an even better deal!

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think I'm going to change my answer to Judo and Dog Brothers martial arts. Instead of magically gaining the skill while sparing myself the being slammed and punched in the head, I can magically gain the skill while sparing myself the being slammed and hit in the head with heavy sticks. That's an even better deal!
Haha

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess hapkido is both a striking and grappling art

Yes and it's possible to master each and still not be able to blend the two together in a functional package, it takes lots of work. But that is why I love it.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm torn….I could pick Ameri-Dote……or…

Nah, I'll stick with Aikido and Iaido. Thankfully, studying both arts has given me more than enough to study for the rest of my lifetime….and then some.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm inclined to go the Ameridote, Sinanju route myself. Unless.....

Maybe the combo of this -

-coupled with great basketball ball handling skills. Then I could just juke down the street and knock down all kinds of bad guys with some serious panache. I might even wear a cool hat. :)

Latest Discussions