What could you do better?

OP
Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mark Lynn, I think most of us will be able to relate. There are a few things that I want to improve on in my overall sparring game - getting inside quicker and with more variation than presently, more accurate head height kicks, faster counters.....etc

I've picked a set of basic strikes that I'm working hard to improve technique on in solo practice because I figure if my general technique is better, it'll be easier to improve these aspects of sparring mentioned above.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train with the Keysi system, where our hands are kept high and open down below, putting the defender in an ideal position for entrapping counters against incoming jabs, roundhouses and hooks, but wide open for knees, uppercuts and generally any strike from down below. It's a painful weakness in my guard that I have to deal with, but one I've learned to work around over time. Besides the typical flick of the arm downward to "slap off" any incoming strikes, I've since borrowed from Krav Maga's 360 defense system and integrated it into my own style (only after warding that strike off will I ever think about trying to entrap or jam it).

There's also the blatantly obvious solution of moving out of the way and regrouping slightly off to the side or a pace or two back. ;)

Latest Discussions