I got pretty mad last night

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK... you've lost me. How does an alphabet have a philosophy?
Its vowel characters are built around Haneul, Tang, and Saram, Heaven, Earth, and Man, the concepts that the practice of Taekwondo aims to unify. King Sejong intended it to be a language for all, to unify within his Kingdom. The same principle lies behind Taekwondo becoming a world culture, an inclusive sport for all.

I can't post the link right now but there's a nice YouTube video called 'Hangul: Language of Compassion' that covers some of this.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its vowel characters are built around Haneul, Tang, and Saram, Heaven, Earth, and Man, the concepts that the practice of Taekwondo aims to unify. King Sejong intended it to be a language for all, to unify within his Kingdom. The same principle lies behind Taekwondo becoming a world culture, an inclusive sport for all.

I can't post the link right now but there's a nice YouTube video called 'Hangul: Language of Compassion' that covers some of this.

When I was studying Korean in Korea, I was told that there was a story that King SeJong derived the shape of Hangul from looking at the lattice work in doors and windows. Probably makes more sense than that they were made after studying the shape of the mouth in making the sound. But everyone is entitled to believe as they want.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was studying Korean in Korea, I was told that there was a story that King SeJong derived the shape of Hangul from looking at the lattice work in doors and windows. Probably makes more sense than that they were made after studying the shape of the mouth in making the sound. But everyone is entitled to believe as they want.
In 1940 the following document was made public, and it corroborates the phonetic and philosophical rationale.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunmin_Jeongeum_Haerye

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think, honestly, we're at the point where that's just the English pronunciation of the word. It's just like how English speakers pronounce karate "kuh rah tee". It's not really right, but it's not worth getting annoyed about either. (Personally, I blame whoever decided that "ㅐ" should be transliterated as "ae".)
I still think they should be able to get it right. All it takes is the instructor to not be lazy. Do minimal research and learn how to say it correctly. Instead, people learn the wrong way and then "correct" people who do say it correctly.

Latest Discussions