seriously people, GROW UP

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you know who you are. If your mouse is constantly hovering over the "report post" icon

GROW UP

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: Oh come on, John, you won't die if you're a little more polite you know ... it's okay, we won't tell anybody :lol:

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your trying to suffocate MY SOUL!!!!!

lol

seriously tho, people need to grow up, no one has the right to not be offended

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True enough last sentence there, mate {:nods:}, tho' I think perhaps what has been talked about as the result of recent TKD threads is the giving of offence rather than taking offence where none was meant.

The example I always use in such matters is your good-self and me. We went a good few rounds over the past years and, after an initial adjustment period of adapting to each others style, we managed to argue up-hill and down-dale about politics and religion and not offend each other (well, not permanently anyway :D).

I think a good part of that is that I always felt, no matter what we typed to each other, that you respected me and understood where my opinions came from. The reverse was true as well, once I grew used to the occasional frying-pan-in-the-face phrasing of ideas and opinions :lol:. I reckon we always made an effort to converse rather than talking at each other and if more people could adopt that approach more solidly then I don't think we'd see so many reports about abusive posting.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Twin, I can honestly say that I have never reported anyone on the forum. I've given a few neg reps, but I put -WC on those. However, I gotta wonder, if you have a lot of people reporting you, are you sure that it is those multiple people that have the problem and not yourself?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm a huge believer that things seldom happen TO us. We have a lot more influence over our lives than most care to accept. It's easier to ***** about what other people do, rather than confront our own contributions to a given situation. I use an example with my kids all the time. If you're driving and someone rear ends you, the insurance company will almost always presume that you were not "at fault." However, if you are rear ended by cars on a semi-regular basis, even though you might not be technically "at fault," you are doing something that puts you at risk.

Bottom line is this. If you are getting infractions or binned or negative reps or just generally pissing people off all the time, the common denominator is YOU. It may not be JUST you, but it is at least in part YOUR FAULT. At some point, whether you are right or wrong or technically at fault become moot.

In the same way, if you're continuously mired in pointless (to be distinguished from meaningless) arguments over lines drawn in the sand, you are choosing to do so. We all get worked up from time to time, but jesus guys. Give it a damned rest. I asked in a now locked thread what was at stake and no one replied. I believe that this is because everyone realized that nothing was at stake. If dijinx or KSD or anyone else is proven right or wrong, so what? Let it go and respect everyone's right to hold an opinion, even if you believe them to be hopelessly misguided and delusional.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the words of Steve Hughes: "'I live in a Democracy and I never want to be offended again!'... Well, then you're an idiot."

But there's a difference between being offended, trying to offend someone, and simply breaking MT's Terms of Service. The first one doesn't warrant a report to the mods, the second one might, and the third one more than likely does (otherwise, why would they exist?).

WC_lun is absolutely right. If multiple people are reporting someone for multiple posts then it's quite possible that the problem is with them, not the people doing the reporting. You can often tell when people protest too much.

Get a thicker skin? Sure, why not. But so should the people who complain after being negative repped or reported for their own boorish behavior. What's good for the goose, after all.

Pax,

Chris

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the words of Steve Hughes: "'I live in a Democracy and I never want to be offended again!'... Well, then you're an idiot."

But there's a difference between being offended, trying to offend someone, and simply breaking MT's Terms of Service. The first one doesn't warrant a report to the mods, the second one might, and the third one more than likely does (otherwise, why would they exist?).

:nods in agreement: Aye, no argument from me about that nice, simple, categorisation :tup:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm here to learn, but as anywhere, not everything here is worth knowing. I take what is useful to me and leave the rest. I choose not to take offense because I don't leave the opening. If one's self-esteem rides on bits and bytes in the electronic ether, I think it reflects poorly. Getting rattled here would be the same weakness, the same imbalance I seek to eliminate through training. Perhaps its a better indicator than rank of one's progress on the real path than people might realize. Likewise, I think the balanced student can manage not to give offense yet take a strong position.

Regards,
StudentCarl

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not talking about me.I know I earn every one I get.lol I mean the rash of stuff going on while I was gone that led to the future of the comma section thread. Trust I KNOW I earn my dings

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this really has nothing whatsoever to do with TKD, perhaps it would have been better to put it in another forum? Maybe the locker room?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Since this really has nothing whatsoever to do with TKD, perhaps it would have been better to put it in another forum? Maybe the locker room?

while this may not be about TKD, it's very much about the TKD sub forum. Posting it anywhere other than perhaps the study wouldnt make sense.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
This whole situation makes me laugh. Not only have I never reported a post or negative rep'd someone, I honestly wouldnt know how to do those things (Im not very computer savy). I have never been offended by anything anyone writes here ever. I own and run a large business, have heaps of employees and am stressed to the eyeballs most of the time. There is nothing that could be written here that would even remotely upset me, or have any effect on me at all. I think people who get upset by posts need to get out more often, get some hobbies, get a life (or start a business, then you can see real problems). The mere fact people report posts seems funny to me.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This whole situation makes me laugh. Not only have I never reported a post or negative rep'd someone, I honestly wouldnt know how to do those things (Im not very computer savy). I have never been offended by anything anyone writes here ever. I own and run a large business, have heaps of employees and am stressed to the eyeballs most of the time. There is nothing that could be written here that would even remotely upset me, or have any effect on me at all. I think people who get upset by posts need to get out more often, get some hobbies, get a life (or start a business, then you can see real problems). The mere fact people report posts seems funny to me.
What he said! :pirate4:

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactly

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I report posts. It's a thing mentors are supposed to do.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you had me at "this"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have reported posts, a couple were very sexual, others were completely offensive as in 'all Jews should die for what they've done' , neither of those posters lasted long here not because of me but because they were totally out of order. I've also reported a couple of posts that are blatant adverts as it's not fair to use MT to advertise for free, they should pay the going rate.
A lot of people assume emotions behind a post that simply isn't there, make a remark and people think you are offended or upset when all you are doing is making a remark. Like yourself I rarely am actually upset more often amused but people insist I'm upset or think I'm 'spikey' lol, A lot I think comes down to sense of humour and regional sense of humours are different. I love the Aussie one, similiar to my British military one I think, I love dry humour which often has a 'bite', so perhaps it's my own fault if people think my posts are written from being upset rather than convulsed with laughter.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instead of reporting posts, I just cry a little inside.

Latest Discussions