Hybrid Martial Arts

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it should be in the Japanese section only because % or more of so called japanese Jujutsu in the west is really some guy mixing judo+ karate+ alpha and calling it jujutsu and saying the jujutsu is one of the oldest arts :rolleyes:

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ummm.... both judo and most forms of karate-do are Japanese, shinbushi.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shinbushi said:
I think it should be in the Japanese section only because % or more of so called japanese Jujutsu in the west is really some guy mixing judo+ karate+ alpha and calling it jujutsu and saying the jujutsu is one of the oldest arts :rolleyes:
David,

Welcome to the Forums, we look forward to your input and experience!

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
who says that gmunoz, shogun, etc. don't get real training? an uncalled for assumption.
Just for the record (Enson), I have about 8 years of in-dojo experience before I "purchased" a Toshindo video. roughly 2 years of experience under one of the top Aikido instructors in the world, a year in Bujinkan, and about 5 years or wrestling (submission, pro).

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Just for the record (Enson), I have about 8 years of in-dojo experience before I "purchased" a Toshindo video. roughly 2 years of experience under one of the top Aikido instructors in the world, a year in Bujinkan, and about 5 years or wrestling (submission, pro).
And since your interest in the suggested video course comes from your interest in training in the Bujinkan, your point is...?

OP
Kizaru

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
gmunoz said:
You're such a helper! We really need more people like you on martialtalk!
Thank you very much, I appreciate the compliment and kind words. I'll see if I can find some other friends of mine who'd like to add to the discussion here.

:asian:

G

Gary Arthur

Just a comment on distance learning.

I have learnt Ninjutsu through distance learning. Iv,e watched videos, DVDs, read books but also gone to seminars in this country and abroad when teachers such as Hatsumi, Tanemura, Tanaka, Doron Navon and Stephen Hayes have taught seminars.

But then so has the guy down the road who teaches Genbukan, and the chap in Peterborough who teaches Bujinkan.

In fact I would hazard a guess that most people have learnt Ninjutsu this way, . So few of us have stayed in Japan for any length of time to study the art but had to make do with seminar and learning from books, tapes etc, and this includes the high Dan Grades.

From what I understand is that the Home study approach to TO-SHIN DO which is backed up by books, DVDs and Videos allows a student to learn the Mechanics of a tecnique. This means that when that student comes into a Quest centre for the first time they have already got the gist of what is in the sylabus, some of the philosophy of Ninjutsu, how to apply a lock, a throw, how to do a break fall, safety implications, have worked out on pads, learnt the vocal commands, and some of the names for the techniques and so much more.

OK some of the finer points may need to be pointed out by a teacher and corrected, but this means that that student does not need to be taught from scratch, and actually can advance at a faster rate as they already have some idea of what to do.

So guys unless you live in Japan, you may be actually doing distance learning. For a more detailed understanding of the TO-SHIN DO approach to the Distance learning, take a look at the DVDs and not just what you interpret from briefly scanning the web site.

OP
Kizaru

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gary Arthur said:
Just a comment on distance learning...
I apologize if this seems ignorant, but what does that comment have to do with the topic of this thread, "Hybrid Martial Arts"? While you have raised valid points, maybe they would have more effectively been expressed in another thread...

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
I apologize if this seems ignorant, but what does that comment have to do with the topic of this thread, "Hybrid Martial Arts"? While you have raised valid points, maybe they would have more effectively been expressed in another thread...
fyi, you seem to be at fault of the same thing... as your post have also influenced the topic shift. gary arthur is only commenting on the topic at hand. lets all post where we need to.

peace

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good points, everyone. So, back to the title of the thread.
I am kinda lost on whether To-Shindo should be in the modern/western section, or kept in the X-Kan section.

OP
Kizaru

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Enson said:
fyi, you seem to be at fault of the same thing... as your post have also influenced the topic shift.
Well, I've gone back and re-read my posts and I don't see where I'm "influencing the topic shift."

Unless you think I'm still "under the influence" here.

Again, I apologize if this seems ignorant, but I believe your comment here is both pre-emptive and lacking in substance.

Have a nice day.
icon7.gif

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree that Neo-ninjutsu shouldn't really be listed under the section of Japanese martial arts.

On the other hand, shootfighting could be...:wink2:

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
Well, I've gone back and re-read my posts and I don't see where I'm "influencing the topic shift."Have a nice day.
icon7.gif
this is actually technopunk's job but if you insist... your last four post have nothing to do with hybrid martial arts. in fact if i'm not mistaken most of them are just trying to get the last word with gmunoz cause you think you know more.:eek:

peace

Latest Discussions