How to deal with a 12 year old 2nd Dan

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
They need to quit worrying about crap like this and focus their attention on getting Bieber off the radio.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something that really piss me off is TKD sambinims giving such a hig grades (black belt) to children, for me the best age to start giving black belt status is 18 years old or more.

The funny thing is when I got my first dan I saw it as a huge thing, suddenly I was a mystical martial arts killing machine expert (I was young). I got my 2nd Dan and I felt like the same jump all over again.

As the years have gone by I realised that black belts (dan or poom) doesn't mean much more than you can competently do all the basics. I have no problem giving young kids poom grades, providing they can competently demonstrate all the skills and have an understanding of the principles.

In this case I agree with most of the posters that we don't know this young 2nd Dan/Poom's standard nor his instructor. Sure he has a bad attitude in that because he's a 2nd Dan then a 3rd Dan can't teach him anything...but he's 12!

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Regardless of the legitimacy of his rank, it was, (and hopefully it has to do with him being 12 and not simply being omnipotent), quite rude and narrow minded not to think that you can learn anything from lower ranks.

I’m a 4th in both of the arts I practice, going for 5th in one in a few months, I routinely train with lower ranks, and I am continuously amazed at how much one can learn from those who are ranked lower then oneself. A lower rank does not mean one or their abilities are in anyway inferior, it just means they haven’t traveled as far down the path as you have.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Regardless of the legitimacy of his rank, it was, (and hopefully it has to do with him being 12 and not simply being omnipotent), quite rude and narrow minded not to think that you can learn anything from lower ranks.

I’m a 4th in both of the arts I practice, going for 5th in one in a few months, I routinely train with lower ranks, and I am continuously amazed at how much one can learn from those who are ranked lower then oneself. A lower rank does not mean one or their abilities are in anyway inferior, it just means they haven’t traveled as far down the path as you have.
Well from that experience the 12 year old learn he could laugh at other people's ranks from the lower rank there. All things said, I believe we can brush up the 12 year old's mindset to immaturity more than rudeness.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I also demoed poomsae koryo infront of a massive group of people at school knowing that it may show that if a green belt can do it then his 2nd dan doesnt mean anything at all, it worked on everyone except him

So you're a green belt who demonstrated Koryo to prove a point? Have you thought through how else all this may be taken? Why is what he is or isn't any matter to you?

When I meet another Taekwondoin I treat him/her with courtesy, regardless of rank or skills.

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also demoed poomsae koryo infront of a massive group of people at school knowing that it may show that if a green belt can do it then his 2nd dan doesnt mean anything at all, it worked on everyone except him

Eh, no. It shows you may be able to hit a kid. Big deal.

OP
N

nuhash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks for all the comments, i read through each one and i have gained quite an understanding, i understood it was rude to laugh at him and i did sincerely apologise to him but he threw it in my face, i didnt expect him to forgive me but i atleast expected him to acknowledge my apologies, furthermore, since watching me perform koryo he has apparently decided to ignore me according to a mutual friend and has spread rumours about me (which i can prove because he put it on facebook)

so by my understanding i have tried to right my wrongs, i have now decided to not do anything about him at all, this experience, while not being handled well, has helped me understand the concept of "actions speak louder than words", it is in our natural human instincts to question everything we hear and if it collides with what we have been taught then we become more aggressive about this matter and require stronger evidence to believe.

Several people have said "why this is a problem for me?", well as i said before it was a natural reaction for me, but it was not helped by his later reactions and so i understand that until writing this post it has been a problem because he was headstrong in not accepting or understanding that what colour belt you are wearing gives very little indication to your skill (he did say that my instructor was rubbish when he only knew his belt and said that it was impossible for me to do flying side kicks etc. and poomsae required for higher belts)

I have overcome this problem by understanding myself a bit more, i learnt quite a few things about myself, and i hope to use these findings in the future to take new challenges and find new things to learn. I just want to end this by saying thank you, and that some of the best lessons are learnt from mucking up.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My son is a 3rd Poom and about to be 14. He has no such arrogance. He understands his role as a Poom belt. He would never consider making such a remark. If he did! he would have to answer to me and that would not go well for him.

The child's reaction is just as much about his parents as his Martial Arts Instructor!

I have told my son that for those who question his qualifications you have nothing to prove.
You know what you have done and what you have accomplished and it does not matter what other people think.

BTW when my son started Shotokan in August he went right in line with the white belts.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Oh how I agree! When I lived in CA, there was an Aikido school up the road in which the Owner/Head Instructor was a 3rd Dan, and I was 6th Dan at the time. I went to her class and trained under her for over a year, as I loved her Ki and movements. She was a very good instructor to boot. I'll learn from any one and everyone that is willing to teach me what ever they know, and will pay for it, if it is what I want to know. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree it's probably better to ignore any slight a 12 year old 2nd Dan may make, I can see it's galling to work hard over time for your rank and to have a child who by virtue of their age can't have put much time in.
I think nuhash has done well in posting because he's obviously learned something from this situation which has got to be a good thing. As for the 12 year old, as I said, pride goes before a fall.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, i have met a 12 year old 2nd Dan but it was intended or anything.

I was promoting tkd club at school when one kid asked what dan my instructor was and i truthfully said 3rd and he said we has training under a 8th dan and he himself was a 2nd dan.

While it was harsh i just laughed in his face and called him a fake, the next day i apologised and asked if he could atleast come and watch the class, just so i could understand if he actually was any good but he turned to me and said "Thanks for apologising but I dont want to go because your instructor cant teach me anything because he is only a 3rd dan". At this stage i was absolutely fuming with rage, i was thinking a ruptured spleen would go well with such pig headed and arrogant comment but i just left.

Now i wondering what i could to prove that he cannot actually be a 2nd dan let alone a black belt, i was thinking of printing article 8 of the kukkiwon regulations to show that his belt is fake but i would like to know opinions of more experienced people.

P.S. please dont tell me to forget him, why? because i would feel slightly guilty that i am allowing a possible crooked instructor exploit the naiveness of a kid, even if he dissed my hogu

What, you are a green belt?

OK:
laughing at the kid was not called for. Although you apologized for it later, the damage has been done. I don't blame the kid for not wanting to come to your school, if this type of behavior is what is passed along.

It is lastly not up to you to proof anything. Or disproof.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Guys, it sounds like the OP is a child too. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 14 year old and ran into a mouthy 12 year old that got him riled up. The whole situation sounds too absurd to be the behaviour of an adult towards a child. That said, it is of no matter how old you are, you should never discredit someone's rank or art or training or instructor. It is incredibly discourteous and thus violates of the first tenet of TaeKwon Do.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, it sounds like the OP is a child too. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 14 year old and ran into a mouthy 12 year old that got him riled up. The whole situation sounds too absurd to be the behaviour of an adult towards a child.

Exactly. I was reading through this thread and that is exactly what I was thinking.

Pax,

Chris

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kids are very good at winding adults up don't forget :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
yawn-my-instructor-is-a-50th-dan.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys, it sounds like the OP is a child too. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 14 year old and ran into a mouthy 12 year old that got him riled up. The whole situation sounds too absurd to be the behaviour of an adult towards a child. That said, it is of no matter how old you are, you should never discredit someone's rank or art or training or instructor. It is incredibly discourteous and thus violates of the first tenet of TaeKwon Do.

I sure hope so because the rank of Moma bear beats all BBs of the world! :lol:

Latest Discussions