Need some feedback

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very well stated, and demonstrative of a very high level of integrity and self-respect, as well as respect for those around you. I congratulate you, and hope to live up to the same standard. :asian:

My feelings exactly---well said, Kacey, and well said, TKDmel. I have a really good sense about how things are going to go for you when you test and I'm especially glad that your good rapport with your old sahbumnim is still alive and well.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mel,

One thing I would like to say to you is that I absolutely wish you the best in your decision making endeavor. Have you considered looking at other tae kwon do organizations? I live in Missouri so I may look foolish asking this, but what about Ernie Reyes West Coast TKD org.

I had a medical issues that sidelined me right when I was getting a good thing going. Life happened while I was in the Marines and never got to formally test for dan in Judo, my instructor got shipped from NC to CA.

In the beginning of the decade I began TKD and started over in hapkido and had to take a medical leave.

However, in March of this yr. I made a consious decision to just begin again and see it through. To make a long, long, long, story short I have earned 5th gup in hapkido and tae kwon do, I will soon test for 4th gup in TKD. About a month ago I was awarded my honorary or meritorious promotion to 1st dan in Judo by a very well certified judo coach.

I know the validation in your mind and the points of consideration you are going over in your mind. Good luck to you.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just want to run this up the flagpole to see what other peoples opinions are. This could be a bit lenghty but here goes. Back in 1989 I recieved my 1st dan from a master I had been with for almost 5 yrs. I was one of his first students and he valued my opinions about important issues concerning the school and the students. Back then I gave everything of myself to the betterment of the school. I was devastated as were many students when he up and moved to another city 3 hours away. He sold the school to one of my junior belts and even though I tried to continue with the new owner, his open lack of respect for me and others senior to him caused me and others to leave and train on our own. During the course of the next 15 yrs. I have trained and taught with other masters on the west coast, but due to numerous kidney surgeries I have never tested for my 2nd dan. About 7 months ago, I returned home to find a new school opened by a very close friend from the original school who was my junior but is now a 3rd dan. I respect him greatly and he is a good instructor. The problem is he is affiliated with the guy who bought the old school who is now a master as are a couple more students who used to be my juniors. I have never been bothered by not being able to test, but now that I am healthy and finding this to be the best time of my life, I am considering going for a "skip dan" to 3rd dan. I have fulfilled all the requirements and am more than ready as my instructor agrees. My dilemma is that the other "masters"(I use the term loosely) promoted by the guy that bought the old school, have told me they don't want me to test even for 2nd dan, and given no valid reason. I'd like to hear what some of you think about this situation.

Mel:

I sympathize with your situation. I've been a 2nd Dan since 1988 & because of numerous lies, unforseen circumstances & frustrations, I've been that rank ever since. After finding someone who I trust & who trusts me, I'm planning to test for 3rd Dan in March. I struggle somedays with the woulda, coulda, shoulda's of it all. But it is what it is. Heck, a guy who's red belt test promotion board I sat on is now a 6th Dan! (Yeah, I know) The real issue seems to me to be the folks that say you're not ready for your 2nd Dan, yet. That doesn't seem right. Maybe you're gonna need to go elsewhere for your test. As for whether it's for 2nd or 3rd...I don't know. But it doesn't sound like you'll be able to get a fair shake (even for 2nd) based on what you've said here. Maybe you need to look elsewhere.

Just my .02

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just wanted to post a quick "good luck" to you TKDM. I feel the same way about my original instructor as it seems you do and would even now take his advice without question.

It seems we may both be in Korea in Summer 2008 so I hope to catch up with him there (we haven't seen each other in about 8 years and he's gone back to his home of Malaysia now so he's a long way away to visit).

Anyway, I'm sure your original master will give you a fair test (the others may have his ear but the old school guys normally have less interest in politics and more in "is the guy ready...then let him test").

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Again, I thank you all for your interest, concerns and suggestions. I love the organization I am with, and as in any organization or life in general, there are always a few misguided people that for whatever reasons may feel their status, authority, or livelihood is in jeopardy from someone or something, and do whatever they can to bolster their egos and positions in the eyes of their peers at the expense of others.

15 yrs. ago, I was the senior most student at my master's dojang. I was well liked and looked up to by my fellow students. My master was proud of my accomplishments in the school and by my abilities to represent my state at 4 consecutive national championships. I suppose in many peoples eyes I was on the "fast track" to eventually opening my own school.

In retrospect I believe the masters who are against my advancement feel threatened by my return. 2 weeks ago, I competed at a inter school tourney my old master held between his 6 affiliate schools. All 3 masters in question were there and witnessed our old master jump up from his chair, cross the arena floor, and give me a "prodigal son returns" bear hug. We sat together for some time and caught up on the last 15 yrs. I feel sure that when I test he will be hard as always, but just as fair.

I will continue on, train hard, and do what I always do.....endure!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In retrospect I believe the masters who are against my advancement feel threatened by my return. 2 weeks ago, I competed at a inter school tourney my old master held between his 6 affiliate schools. All 3 masters in question were there and witnessed our old master jump up from his chair, cross the arena floor, and give me a "prodigal son returns" bear hug.

TKDM, from what you posted earlier, this was the sense I got about motives and whatnot... the green-eyed monster has no conscience, alas.

II will continue on, train hard, and do what I always do.....endure!

Endurance takes you a lot further than just about anything else...this too shall pass, eh? :)

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
EXILE, Be sure to dance with the person who you came with. Ask your self are you a teacher or a paper hanger do not skip the tests.If the group that is testing you award rank to each other what good is there rank?I know several B.B. that are ranked low but they are the better teachers than the so called G.M's. After all the B.B. is a personal state of mind not just a pice of paper. All the best in the arts

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TKDmel, my first post was based entirely on what was presented for us to review. Since your recent post where you and your instructor got together, some of my thoughts have changed, only some!.........I'm glad that your instructor was that happy to see you and that you were able to sit and talk with him, but in my opinion, those that were/are somewhat against you, may now have even more purpose in keeping you from advancing. My thoughts to you are: Talk again with your instructor and tell him your position and if you honestly feel the need, the position presented of those that seem to have less than favorable attitudes toward you. Consider this a self defense situation of sorts. I do hope that your instructor is of the "old school" and lives by the tenents associated within TKD, for it seems clear that those others involved don't. I, as I'm sure everyone else here, wishes you the best of luck with your continued journey in TKD. :asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EXILE, Be sure to dance with the person who you came with.

Hi Bret---I agree, you dance with the one what brung ya. In this case, though, the one who brung TKDM was the original master who he's planning to go back to test with. That was the teacher who he achieved his Dan rank with, if I'm not mistaken. So my (and others') recommendation to TKDM, that he go to his original instructor for his next test, doesn't conflict at all with what you're saying here---

Ask your self are you a teacher or a paper hanger do not skip the tests.If the group that is testing you award rank to each other what good is there rank?I know several B.B. that are ranked low but they are the better teachers than the so called G.M's. After all the B.B. is a personal state of mind not just a pice of paper.

Again, no quarrel here! And I don't think TKD is hung up on rank either, but it's also true that in terms of his ability to do good for his own students (and others' students as well, since a higher belt gives him more ability to be a positive force in evaluation of students testing for Dan rank) he might do well to test at the most advanced level that his instructor thinks he merits. If that's 3rd, fine. If it's 2nd, as he says, that's fine too.

All the best in the arts

And to you too! :)

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been thinking long and hard about my situation and the only thing that came to mind since my last post is that in addition to taking a bus trip, say once a month, to train directly with him and then taking my BB test at his school as well. He has 4-5 other masters at his BB tests that don't even know me. The ones putting me in this situation do not attend his testings. In that way, I can be sure to get a fair test. So for now I will keep doing what I do, and look forward to my test in May.:wink2:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ones putting me in this situation do not attend his testings. In that way, I can be sure to get a fair test. So for now I will keep doing what I do, and look forward to my test in May.:wink2:

I think overall that this is the best solution. Good luck with your training, and we will, of course, want to hear all about it in May!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds great, TKDM. Sorry I'm a bit late on this... The extra travel per month for training and testing sounds a lot more fair than trying to test with your current instructor. Best wishes for the testing (in advance)!

Latest Discussions