How old is MartialTalk.com?

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe MartialTalk was started by Daruma who then passed the secrets of Online Martial Discussion to our own Bob Hubbard.

Or something like that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Talking (with apologies to Carl Douglas)

Everybody was Martial Talking
Those cats were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening
But they posted with expert timing

They were funky MT men from funky MT town
They were quoting them up and they were dissing them down
It's an ancient MT art and everybody knew their part
From an OT into a quip, and blasting from the hip

There was funky Bob Hubbard and little Shesulsa
He said here comes MJS, (where?) lets get it on
Brian R. VanCise made a video clip, started attacking with the quip
The sudden motion made me skip now we're into a brand new trip

OP
DayStar

DayStar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! How do you feel about it?
Proud that it is running successfully and hope it shall continue as long as it can?

I am still learning and trying to get a hang of this fancy forum. :D Keep it up!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awesome! How do you feel about it?
Proud that it is running successfully and hope it shall continue as long as it can?

I am still learning and trying to get a hang of this fancy forum. :D Keep it up!
I feel we're doing well, but can do better. More people, more posts, more fun and more serious discussions. MT will continue as long as I can afford to keep the site running, pending of course a really big retirable buy out (I've turned down a few offers so far that were mid 5 figure). :)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
(I've turned down a few offers so far that were mid 5 figure). :)

I'm kind of curious who has offered to buy MT from you Bob. There have rumors about Bullshido.com and Blackbelt buying the site. I think I heard some mention of merging with fightingarts.com

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blackbelt I'd consider, Bullshido I wouldn't, but it was neither of them. There've been no discussions with them though, nor with Fightingarts. While I can't disclose the companies due to NDA's I signed as part of the negotiations, they were large forum collectors who own and manage over a dozen communities.

Heh, I'd like to be like webhostingtalk who last reportedly sold in the millions. :D

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, from what I was told, who of course heard it like 8th hand from Exile, BlackBelt offered you like $30,000 to sell the forum to them, and they were planning on basicly stripping MT to the bones, and having one section for each of there authors. And of course, the product selling area would become like 4 different sections.

When I heard that, I almost went and to unsubscribe for the site.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wasn't Blackbelt, was in the $40's that I turned down, and there were no plans to strip the site...doing that destroys it's value immediately. Site's value is in 4 places, it's approach, it's member list, it's content and it's traffic. Blackbelt could simply setup their own forum to setup author areas and a shopping area for a lot less.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob stated that he cannot disclose who it was, but it was NOT Blackbelt.

Bob has put countless hours and a not-inconsiderable sum of his money into this site. He's refused offers to sell it that would have netted him a tidy sum, when he could have really used the money, because he didn't want to see the site go to hell. Selling it would have lined his pockets, and made his life immeasurably simpler -- but he didn't.

He could have put much more of the site behind the premium wall where you have to pay to see it -- or even gone to a pay-only site. He doesn't.

He doesn't even run the place by fiat, as would be his right as site owner. Hell -- he's even received infractions and suspensions! How many boards have a site owner like that?

Instead, we've got a great forum, and there's two things we can do to make it better. First, post more. Start threads, resurrect old ones, spend some time in the art areas. More posts = more traffic = better rates from advertisers... which means less pressure on Bob's wallet. And less incentive to consider selling when there's a bit to much month left at the end of the income stream.

Second, pony up the money for a supporting membership. It's less than $2 a month. Skip one cup of Starbucks or one bottle of soda, and you've got the money. I know, times are tough. They're tough for all of us. Including Bob. That small sacrifice is nothing compared to what he's done.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you know what they say about assuming things. :D Of course, to quote one of Seagals movies..."Assumption is the Mother of all **** ups!" ;)

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Question(s):

How many founding members did it take to start up MT? Or how was the process started to form MT?

Thanks,

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2. I took care of the hosting and software side of things, and Tim Hartman started spreading the word through his seminars.
The first 100 are considered Founding Members, there are about 28 left today.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was there at the dawn of the third age of mankind. It began in the Earth year 2257, with the last of the Babylon stations located deep in neutral space. It was a port of call for refugees, smugglers, businessmen, diplomats, and travelers from a hundred worlds. It could be a dangerous place, but we accepted the risk because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace. Under the leadership of its final commander, Babylon 5 was a dream given form. A dream of a galaxy without war, where species could live side-by-side in mutual respect. A dream that was endangered as never before by one man on a mission of destruction. Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. This is its story.....

Wait? What? OH! The beginnings of MartialTalk.

In the beginning MartialTalk was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. Luckily we don't care.

:cheers: to 8 years of fun. Here's to the future mate. Thanks for all the fish!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old enough not to be a virgin and young enough to look good in so many eyes

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
2. I took care of the hosting and software side of things, and Tim Hartman started spreading the word through his seminars.
The first 100 are considered Founding Members, there are about 28 left today.

So basically you did everything, that's impressive! Must look good on a resume, kudo's for a great job!
But I guess without members the forum would be meaningless so kudo's to Tim as well!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you.

Mike Casto wrote the original schools database, Andrew Green did the version we've been running the last few years. My wife did the logo. We've been blessed to have a great staff over the years to help keep things running, and a great group of members who have contributed to our success and keep spreading the word about us.

Latest Discussions