Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BritET.png

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
unfortunately I fear you might, but you said we're did the highest number of migrants come from, nothing about when, and that was Germany...

Germany? Really? Not sure about that. But as DV said, there was a big influx of Germans in the mid-19th Century. They account for about half my ancestry on my father's side.

BTW, in a sense the same is true of the UK especially the eastern coast, you just have to role the clock back to the "Age of Migrations" (the so-called Dark Ages) when all those Germanic Angles, Saxons, Geats, Frislanders, Danes and Norsemen came swarming over to the great dismay of the Gaelic Britons and Welsh. God knows my old English ancestors, the Forsyths, Colcords, Browns, and so on and my Texas German immigrant ancestors (yes, from the mid 1800s), the Frerichs, Baders, Roethes, etc. may have all been from the same tribe 1,400 years back.

You know, everyone is related if you look hard enough! I Read where Barak Obama was a distant cousin of ...Dick Cheney. Can't get much weirder than that!

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Germany? Really? Not sure about that. But as DV said, there was a big influx of Germans in the mid-19th Century. They account for about half my ancestry on my father's side.

BTW, in a sense the same is true of the UK especially the eastern coast, you just have to role the clock back to the "Age of Migrations" (the so-called Dark Ages) when all those Germanic Angles, Saxons, Geats, Frislanders, Danes and Norsemen came swarming over to the great dismay of the Gaelic Britons and Welsh. God knows my old English ancestors, the Forsyths, Colcords, Browns, and so on and my Texas German immigrant ancestors (yes, from the mid 1800s), the Frerichs, Baders, Roethes, etc. may have all been from the same tribe 1,400 years back.

You know, everyone is related if you look hard enough! I Read where Barak Obama was a distant cousin of ...Dick Cheney. Can't get much weirder than that!
it's not easy to add up, as they keep jumping about between English and British.

but if you split England Scotland and wales up, then the germans win by about a half a million, britain as a whole however exceeds the germans ( obviously excluding the Irish who arnt British)

the largest number of white Americans have German ancestry I read d recently

History of immigration to the United States - Wikipedia

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...the largest number of white Americans have German ancestry I read d recently: History of immigration to the United States - Wikipedia

Yeah, but what it really comes down to is this: Most of us are mutts. Dogs or people, either way, I love mutts!

BTW, I don't go for that new DNA testing ...seems kinda like a racket to me..., but from what little I do know about my own ancestors, there are English, German, Scottish, Irish and even French. And although I cant prove any Latino ancestry, that's the biggest group here in the Southwest. After all, this was all Mexico first. At least after the Mexicans kicked out the Spanish who in turn stole it from the Indians. ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, but what it really comes down to is this: Most of us are mutts. Dogs or people, either way, I love mutts!

BTW, I don't go for that new DNA testing ...seems kinda like a racket to me..., but from what little I do know about my own ancestors, there are English, German, Scottish, Irish and even French. And although I cant prove any Latino ancestry, that's the biggest group here in the Southwest. After all, this was all Mexico first. At least after the Mexicans kicked out the Spanish who in turn stole it from the Indians. ;)
yea but, the Mexicans are significantly Spanish ancestry, so the whole north American kicking out European over lords was significant Europeans kicking out European over lords.

America was very much a mixing pot, there's been a lot less breeding across national borders in Europe, so genetic markers are far more pronounced, even from tribes that share a common ancestry a couple of thousand years ago, there are clear and unmistakeable national traits.

the notable exception being Britain, that got invaded by every one, frequently until 1066 and then no one at all for the next thousands years, which has given a currius match of hair colour and skin tone that doesn't really have a national stereo type, like say the French, the italians or the spannish , for the north eorpean tribes,the polish are easily distinguishable from the germans, and the germans from the Scandinavian, though they are geographic extremely close

Last edited:
OP
hoshin1600

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brain circuitry does change. The interesting thing about nature vs nurture is they effect each other.

Behavior effects brain circuitry/chemistry which effects behavior.
yes and no
only certain networks have plasticity enough to be changed by behavior, but since we are discussing morality in this instance i would say that the pathways are fundamental but have a certain amount of ability to change. so i would agree up to a point. i would add that there is a lot of variability in what effects our brains not just nature and nurture but for the conversation we can simplify it to those two.

If morality was genetic. It should be constant across culture.

Let's look at nakedness. It is a morality that dramatically changes from culture to culture and time to time.

i dont think i agree, that it has to be constant, but i dont have much to back my opinion up at the moment.
i would say lets look at murder. this moral judgement has been around at least 2000 years. its in the bible commandments and is probably much older all the way back to the Sumerians, the beginning of civilization. dont kill people is pretty constant across cultures. and we know for a fact that those who do not feel that morality, IE serial killers and such, have very particular differences in the brain then the rest of the population. thats not to say everyone that kills has a deficient brain.
i would say the foundations of morality come from genetic sources. it is an evolutionary advantage to have morals for species survival, it would make sense to have developed from a biological standpoint. however the particularities would be culturally diverse. evolutionary survival is the driving force and what works in one region and culture will not work in another.
referencing something i said earlier, nomadic people have a different code of ethics, values or morality than an agrarian society. and some scientists are pretty sure these values are genetically passed down to current descendants. (im sure a google search might find something)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes and no
only certain networks have plasticity enough to be changed by behavior, but since we are discussing morality in this instance i would say that the pathways are fundamental but have a certain amount of ability to change. so i would agree up to a point. i would add that there is a lot of variability in what effects our brains not just nature and nurture but for the conversation we can simplify it to those two.

i dont think i agree, that it has to be constant, but i dont have much to back my opinion up at the moment.
i would say lets look at murder. this moral judgement has been around at least 2000 years. its in the bible commandments and is probably much older all the way back to the Sumerians, the beginning of civilization. dont kill people is pretty constant across cultures. and we know for a fact that those who do not feel that morality, IE serial killers and such, have very particular differences in the brain then the rest of the population. thats not to say everyone that kills has a deficient brain.
i would say the foundations of morality come from genetic sources. it is an evolutionary advantage to have morals for species survival, it would make sense to have developed from a biological standpoint. however the particularities would be culturally diverse. evolutionary survival is the driving force and what works in one region and culture will not work in another.
referencing something i said earlier, nomadic people have a different code of ethics, values or morality than an agrarian society. and some scientists are pretty sure these values are genetically passed down to current descendants. (im sure a google search might find something)

As a quick example honor killings are still done in Saudi Arabia.

To solve the problem the government institutionalized it.

Latest Discussions