• 18 or less

• more than 200

• more than 600

Results are only viewable after voting.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I suppose that this method would work, but don't you think that they'd still need some sort of foundation to build off of? For example, look at a boxer. He has set punches to use as well as set combos that he drills on a focus mitt. In a way, those preset combos are like the SD techniques. The combos, like the techniques, are teaching certain principles. Of course, the boxer wants to progress past those preset techs. and be able to react accordingly to his opp. in the ring. The same can be said for the SD techs. We eventually want to get to the point where we don't have to think about a move, but simply react.

Mike

We have two different types of classes, Group and Tactical Advancement Class. In the TAC, students work on the SD techniques in their belt. In the group class, everyone is doing the same drills. We work on the basics, punching, blocking, movement, etc. Individual blocks striked are often used in a made up attack that's different depending on who the instructor is. The level of difficulty depends on the makeup of the class. By going to both classes, the student is getting a mixed, more balanced approach to learning.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
jdinca said:
So you're saying that an offshoot is a system that is less comprehensive than EPAK? Or can it be one that has subtracted and added or adjusted the system?

I didn't make the initial statement, but yes, all of the offshoots of EPAK that I have seen are less comprehensive, no doubt.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jdinca said:
We have two different types of classes, Group and Tactical Advancement Class. In the TAC, students work on the SD techniques in their belt. In the group class, everyone is doing the same drills. We work on the basics, punching, blocking, movement, etc. Individual blocks striked are often used in a made up attack that's different depending on who the instructor is. The level of difficulty depends on the makeup of the class. By going to both classes, the student is getting a mixed, more balanced approach to learning.

May I ask where you train? I am in the South Bay and may know your school/instructor.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
I didn't make the initial statement, but yes, all of the offshoots of EPAK that I have seen are less comprehensive, no doubt.

Jamie Seabrook

Arguably, everything that exists today is an "offshoot" of something else, including EPAK. Nothing sprung fully formed from a vaccuum. EPAK began with what Mr. Parker learned from Mr. Chow. He added to it, deleted from it, and changed things so it is now something different, but it also qualifies as an "offshoot", just depends on your perspective.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Arguably, everything that exists today is an "offshoot" of something else, including EPAK. Nothing sprung fully formed from a vaccuum. EPAK began with what Mr. Parker learned from Mr. Chow. He added to it, deleted from it, and changed things so it is now something different, but it also qualifies as an "offshoot", just depends on your perspective.

I know what you trying to say, but I was writing specifically about the 10 zillion offshoots of American Kenpo.

Jamie Seabrook

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
I know what you trying to say, but I was writing specifically about the 10 zillion offshoots of American Kenpo.

Jamie Seabrook

Fair enough, and I do understand that. Just keeping the bigger picture
icon12.gif

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I chose 55 because it was such an odd number to include............However many it takes; is my answer.

-Fluff

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I view the techniques as the tools used to teach the art. If I find myself in a confrontation, I am confident that I will do correct kenpo, but I am not so confident that I will be able to cite chapter and verse the technique that "I chose." Perhaps I will get to that level with more years put in on the mat, or perhaps I will move further from choreographed techniques into spontaneous application of the techniques.

That said, kudos to Danny T. who stated that you only need one technique and a thousand ways to get to it.

I must admit and being very surprised that nobody said, "None. I carry a gun." A whole nuther can of worms, but surprising nonetheless.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
KenpoDave said:
Personally, I view the techniques as the tools used to teach the art. If I find myself in a confrontation, I am confident that I will do correct kenpo, but I am not so confident that I will be able to cite chapter and verse the technique that "I chose." Perhaps I will get to that level with more years put in on the mat, or perhaps I will move further from choreographed techniques into spontaneous application of the techniques.

That said, kudos to Danny T. who stated that you only need one technique and a thousand ways to get to it.

I must admit and being very surprised that nobody said, "None. I carry a gun." A whole nuther can of worms, but surprising nonetheless.
I carry, but actually use the Kenpo more. But it does make a nice back up.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doc said:
I carry, but actually use the Kenpo more. But it does make a nice back up.

Wasn't it Parker that said "Kenpo is great, it gives me time to get to my gun."

He also had a short exchange with my instructor once about the subject.

My Instructor; "Mr. Parker, you are the most skilled Martial Artist I have ever met. Why do you need to carry a gun?"

Mr. Parker; "Tom". As here raises his hands in front of him. "These don't work and 10 feet away."

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zoran said:
Wasn't it Parker that said "Kenpo is great, it gives me time to get to my gun."

He also had a short exchange with my instructor once about the subject.

My Instructor; "Mr. Parker, you are the most skilled Martial Artist I have ever met. Why do you need to carry a gun?"

Mr. Parker; "Tom". As here raises his hands in front of him. "These don't work and 10 feet away."
I remember Parker telling me about a demo he did in Texas many years ago for a fellow martial artist (can't remember the name). It was a tough crowd and he introduced Parker has if the only thing that could stop him was "kryptonite." Parker said, "This guy is setting us all up to get wasted. I could see that most of the crowd was packin' heat and didn't appreciate his comments." So Parker said when he went up on the stage, he began his demo by saying, "I happen to know there are other styles of martial arts that are pretty dam good that anyone would have a problem handling. Perhaps you have heard of them too. They are Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Winchester, etc." He drew a really good laugh from the crowd that settled in and then enjoyed the demo. Parker acknowledge his own vulnerability and was accepted as one of the "good ole boys."

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Five techniques and set principles for creating variations, as well as drills to promote applying them, is what works for me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One: to be able to outsmart/outhink the person or situation.

Everything else is just backup. ;)

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No matter how many techniques you may know, and I believe everyone should keep an open mind and try to learn as much as they can, not simply for the arsenal but so you can see in how many ways one particular attack can vary; there will probably be one technique that you will use above others in every given scenario.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts. Ask a Ba Gwa or Xing Yi student or master how many techniques they need... You will get an empty look and be asked what are techniques. When you show or explain, they will get a glazed look and say, "Hmmm.... I don't know how I'd handle a punch, grab, bear hug, etc. Until I get there).

We "Kenpoers" have a paradigm that we work from it is largely based in the use of techniques, sets, and forms... Often times we forget that there are other ways to achieve the same goals and be just as effective. I've never been afraid to mix it up on the mats or for real, but I know several internal stylists (Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Ba Gwa) that I would rather run from than have to deal with, and they have nowhere near the formalized motions that we call techniques to learn from.

I asked one, who is a friend of mine how to deal with a right punch defense... Further, I asked him what hand form he used. He honestly didn't know. But he still hurts.

Just thoughts on the validity of our tehcniques.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
I am just now truly understanding some most of the Self Defense techniques
It is more than just memorizing techniques.
What you want to truly achieve is a spontaneous response.

Mr. Skip Hancock said something the other night that made allot of sense.
"You only get one chance at self defense after that it is a fight."

V/R

Rick English

Very well said. Along with that I would like to say that not all techniques are the right one to use all the time. For instance, I am 5'6 and roughly 170. I would not recommend doing the standing firemans carry on someone 6'2 and 350 right off the bat. Not really a good idea.

-Matt

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sigung86 said:
Just a couple of thoughts. Ask a Ba Gwa or Xing Yi student or master how many techniques they need... You will get an empty look and be asked what are techniques. When you show or explain, they will get a glazed look and say, "Hmmm.... I don't know how I'd handle a punch, grab, bear hug, etc. Until I get there).

We "Kenpoers" have a paradigm that we work from it is largely based in the use of techniques, sets, and forms... Often times we forget that there are other ways to achieve the same goals and be just as effective. I've never been afraid to mix it up on the mats or for real, but I know several internal stylists (Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Ba Gwa) that I would rather run from than have to deal with, and they have nowhere near the formalized motions that we call techniques to learn from.

I asked one, who is a friend of mine how to deal with a right punch defense... Further, I asked him what hand form he used. He honestly didn't know. But he still hurts.

Just thoughts on the validity of our tehcniques.

Reminds me of the story of the young man who sought out the master archer. When he finaly found him, he asked: "Would you please teach me to use these (Bow and arrow)?" to which the master replied..."I've never seen those before."

Check out KoDo - Ancient Ways. Good book.

Latest Discussions