Change-Is It A Bad Thing?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately, while viewing other forums, I've seen much discussion about techniques, how they are viewed by different people, why someone does a technique one way, while others do it this way, why people feel its necessary to go against the grain of what Mr. Parker taught, etc., etc.

To give an example: There is a discussion on KenpoTalk on the technique Delayed Sword. The discussion started to focus on a few things. 1) The nature of the attack: a punch or lapel grab and 2) who pins the hand and who does not. There was a mixed bag of results with some saying that the pin is essential and others saying that it is not, and why would you want to do it any other way, because this is the way Mr. Parker did it.

My question is: The art of Kenpo should be adapted to the person doing it, not the person to the art. What may work for one, may not work for the next, therefore, a change is needed. Mr. Parker taught many people and I'm sure that they all do certain techniques differently. Now, did they do these changes after he passed, or were they making changes for themselves while he was still alive?

Mr. Parker himself made changes from when he first learned the art, to better suit his needs and times, so why is it a problem if others make a change?

In closing, this thread is not intended to cause flames, to have people take shots at others, etc., but to have a good discussion on that often hated word "Change"

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that a person should do what ever he or she feels addresses their concerns. While Delayed Sword can be a introduction to foundation, it may also be anothere's intro to a: minor move, minor move, major move sequence model, which is a little different from the basic jab jab cross most are familiar with in that respect. Both ways are as good a place to start as any. The Key is to make sure both ways get covered.
Sean

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every improvement is a change.

But, not every change is an improvement.

Referring to the conversations on the change within a technique, why would one make a change? Is that change in line with the Rules and Principles of Kenpo? Is the person making the change familiar enough with the system to suggest a change.

I may know a few techniques and someone may explain to me the 'Equation Formation' ..... but that does not mean I am qualified to make changes in a technique, with just that limited knowledge.

Remember, Mr Parker suggested we catagorize information as useful, unuseful; and to store information for review at a different time.

Maybe we will find that Delayed Sword for a Punch is unuseful.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My kenpo training is from the Tracy lineage, and i have made some pretty extensive changes to address problems that I felt the system has, particularly in terms of the overwhelming number of techniques, and that many of the techniques seem almost identical to other techniques so it didn't make sense to me to keep them all. I also felt that some of the techniques will probably get you killed, so they needed to be eliminated.

I guess I feel that martial systems have always undergone change thru the generations, and kenpo should/will be no different. Just because someone, even someone with a gifted martial intellect, decides something should be done a certain way, does not mean that that will be appropriate for everyone. Change is inevitable, everyone is different.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
My kenpo training is from the Tracy lineage, and i have made some pretty extensive changes to address problems that I felt the system has, particularly in terms of the overwhelming number of techniques, and that many of the techniques seem almost identical to other techniques so it didn't make sense to me to keep them all. I also felt that some of the techniques will probably get you killed, so they needed to be eliminated.

I guess I feel that martial systems have always undergone change thru the generations, and kenpo should/will be no different. Just because someone, even someone with a gifted martial intellect, decides something should be done a certain way, does not mean that that will be appropriate for everyone. Change is inevitable, everyone is different.

I've said the same thing regarding some of the material and the reply I usually get is, "That is because you don't understand the material. You need to find someone who can show you how to make it work." I'm not saying that you don't understand the material, just commenting on the usual reply.

Mike

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started in Tracy's kenpo and there is unusable techniques in the system

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I'll buy unusefull perhaps, but are you saying that these studies of motion are so flawed that usefull information cannot be extracted for general use within you art? on the street?
Sean

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Geez, I don't know I only studied t up to 1st brown. The belts definatly had some crap techniques to them. What did you think of the material upo to 1st brown??

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uhhh errr I haven't actualy studied any Tracy techs... I'm just assuming someone was trying to teach a lesson for something specific but the over all practicality of the technique for general use was a little shaky. In short I'm just arguing the obvious.
Sean

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Kai said:

yes, there is definitely some very good material, but there is also some crap material. I tried to whittle away that which was pretty obviously crap.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I am not even in Tracy's Kenpo and I would put forth that you propably missed some lessons.
Sean

That is entirely possible, I certainly won't argue with that. On the other hand, I have been training long enough, and in enough different systems to have a fairly good perspective on things.

Many Tracy kenpo techniques have large numbers of variations. While the 'meat' of the technique remains the same. By example, the variations often are the difference between finishing an opponent with a punch or a palm strike. If the meat of the technique is sound, it is worth keeping, but to have 10 different finishing variations is repetitive and unnecessary. I can use my own imagination and figure out that I can finish him with a punch, or a palm heel.

Many techniques are repetitive. A technique taught in brown belt, for example, might be identical to a technique taught in blue belt, but with a minor variation. The brown belt technique could actually have been taught as a variation of the blue belt technique, but instead it is taught separately and given a different name. Once again, I can use my own imagination and recognize the different possibilities.

Some techniques are very very presumptive, and clearly would not work. They make huge assumptions about how an attacker is going to stand there and let you do all kinds of rediculous follow-up stuff to him. This stuff is dangerous to rely on, and is a waste of time to practice.

Tracys kenpo has a huge number of self-defense techniques, 250 to first degree black belt, plus many many variations. They all have names that you have to memorize, like Passing the Horizon, Eagle Pin, and Crossing the Lock. In my opinion, this is too many to practice, and is very cumbersome. I finally decided to streamline the material and get rid of the stuff that obviously shouldn't be there. This included the techniques that are clearly repetitive, the numerous variations that didn't really teach something new, and the techniques that, in my opinion, will get you killed and don't have some worthwhile idea or movement that is not contained in another technique.

I suspect that these techniques developed as possible combinations used for drilling and practicing in the past. Somewhere along the way they became codified into a formal curriculum. But, just because someone in the past came up with this, doesn't mean it is all good, or all sacred. I think that everyone needs to analyze what they are taught, and make decisions about that which does not make sense. Mr. Parker did just this. Tracys claim to have kept everything that they learned from Mr. Parker. Mr. Parker made changes that ultimatly lead to a different system. The Tracys are very proud of the fact that they have kept everything. In my opinion, this is where the Tracys have failed: in failing to recognize that none of this stuff is sacred, and that it can and should be changed to make it better. What those changes should be will be different from one person to another, depending on their body size, interests, and experiences.

So, I don't claim to be any godsend to kenpo. I am sure many people would argue that some or even many of the changes I made were poor choices, but I don't care. What I have done is to rearrange the curriculum so that it makes sense to me, and it is something that I can actually practice, instead of NOT practicing it because the curriculum is overwhelming. I have whittled the curriculum of 381 techniques plus variatons thru 5th degree black belt, down to a total of 123, and only a few variations. Some of the original techniques have been combined into one, and others have simply been changed. I believe the techniques that are worthwhile have been kept, and the stuff that is not has been eliminated. For me, this works, and if I ever begin teaching, this is how I will teach it. If someone is interested, I could teach them the old way for the sake of information, but I think it is a cumbersome system and is not the best way to spend my time.

Furthermore, Kenpo is no longer my main focus. I train primarily in the Chinese arts. But, to have a streamlined kenpo curriculum keeps me connected to the art, instead of completely drifting away from it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with you. I think refinement of your most basic techs are where the practitioner should spend his/her time and varaitions should feel the same. Come up with a list of why nots and them campare your concerns with others. You may learn your error or enlighten another. I think a healthy discussion and weighing what is and is not important to your art is what you are supposed to do. Good job.
Sean

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I agree with you. I think refinement of your most basic techs are where the practitioner should spend his/her time and varaitions should feel the same. Come up with a list of why nots and them campare your concerns with others. You may learn your error or enlighten another. I think a healthy discussion and weighing what is and is not important to your art is what you are supposed to do. Good job.
Sean

Well thank you, sir. For the record, I did keep my instructor informed of what I was doing, and it was done with his full blessing. In fact, when I first suggested this to him, his reaction was "well, it's about time!"

Neither of us are high-ranked kenpo people, and we do not belong to anyone's organization, including the Tracys. We are just doing what we feel is best, and what makes sense to us.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Uhhh errr I haven't actualy studied any Tracy techs... I'm just assuming someone was trying to teach a lesson for something specific but the over all practicality of the technique for general use was a little shaky. In short I'm just arguing the obvious.
Sean

But since you never worked the system you are arguing your perspective, applied to a system you know nothing about? Correct?

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
Change?

Like reading a book and then re-reading the same book a year later, 5 years later?

That type of change?

Your personal growth, your experiences in life, you physical attributes increasing or decreasing?

Your mental awareness?

The systems set down are basic material progressing to advanced material the longer you train and practice. That basic material will change, 100% fact it will change. It will change for you as you grow or dont grow.

Is the material changing or are you?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would vote that change is viewed as a very bad thing from the responses gotten so far

So how long do I continue to practice before I change enough?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I would vote that change is viewed as a very bad thing from the responses gotten so far

So how long do I continue to practice before I change enough?

well, I for one cannot argue that change is a bad thing. I think if you feel you have a better way to do things, if it improves your art for yourself, then make the change. Not everyone will agree with you, many people may ridicule you and claim you don't have the 'experience' or the 'authority' to make the changes, but if it works for you, then make it. Nobody can claim ownership of these arts. Once you have learned them, they belong to you on a personal level, and what you do with them is up to you.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Carefull, Remeber the Arts don't need to change, you need to change!

Latest Discussions