Technique Reps

K

Kenpo Wolf

Hello people. I was curious as to how many tehnique reps does the average kenpoist do during training sessions, either solo or in class, and is there special method employed.

Personally, I make use of Chuck Norris's graduated speed drills. For those that don't know what this is, you take a technique and practice it slow motion, half speed, full speed and then red line speed, which is doing it as fast as you possibly can. Although you lose form at this speed, it's excellent for cardio. This is my pattern

Slow Motion 5 Reps
Half Speed 5 Reps
Full Speed 10 Reps
Red Line 5 Reps
Full Speed 5 Reps

Since there is a loss of form at red line speed, I do the final rep at full speed to finish the reps with good form. If I'm just learning a technique or having problem with one, I double up the slow motion and half speed reps and drop the red line and the second full speed reps. So in total, I usually pull off 30 reps per techique, sometimes less. How does this compare with your reps?

That's too kewl! I never thought of doing that, thanks for the
tip!

Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf

Slow Motion 5 Reps
Half Speed 5 Reps
Full Speed 10 Reps
Red Line 5 Reps
Full Speed 5 Reps

We do that with forms.

When learning techs, we learn it piece by piece (one motion at a time or one "beat" at a time, whichever is better), doing multiple reps each time we add a piece and getting explanations and timing info as we go. Then, we do multiple reps of the whole technique to a count. Then we do it without a count at full speed many times. Then we pair up and do it on each other for a while, switch partners and do it again, switch and again, and so forth for a while. We talk about/do details of execution, some "what if" stuff, and so forth while doing the tech on each other. We do technique lines somewhere in there. Then we do other drills, to teach how to "read" the attack and comparing the tech with similar techs, or to emphasize some aspect of the technique, like doing push-hands when learning a technique that requires sensing subtle movements (sometimes we do this before we learn the tech, if it's useful). Then we do the tech in the air again a few times.

At the beginning of class we drill the basics associated with the tech. Or, we drill through the tech list we've already learned, a lead-in review. That's in addition to other exercises and stretching. At the end of class we often have break-down exercises, too.

Other creative stuff gets added in as appropriate.

The first time I do a tech, I do it until it is imbedded in my short term memory. Then I do it until it is imbeded in my long term memory/ Then i do it until it becomes spontaneous. Then i start over.

It depends on the total # of techniques to be worked, but in my personal workout, I like to stick to 1 technique per day, 100 reps, varying speeds throughout.

:asian:
Dave

Originally posted by KenpoDave

It depends on the total # of techniques to be worked, but in my personal workout, I like to stick to 1 technique per day, 100 reps, varying speeds throughout.

Dave

Do you find it easy to stay fully knowledgeable of all techs up to
your belt level? I've been working each tech (I've only been
taught 43 so far) daily, and more and more, it's getting harder
to get them all in, in the short amount of time i have to workout
in the mornings. What about sets and forms?

Originally posted by jbkenpo

In a 154 base technique system isn't that almost a third?

jb:asian:

Wow, didn't think of it that way! :asian:

Originally posted by Kirk

Wow, didn't think of it that way! :asian:

See,

Ya know more than ya thought. And what you really don't know is in those 40 + techniques just how much you HAVE actually be exposed too. :rofl:

jb:asian:

Originally posted by Kirk

Do you find it easy to stay fully knowledgeable of all techs up to
your belt level? I've been working each tech (I've only been
taught 43 so far) daily, and more and more, it's getting harder
to get them all in, in the short amount of time i have to workout
in the mornings. What about sets and forms?

I teach this for a living, so keeping up with all the material is a daily labor of love. It is not hard, but I do put in the time.

Dave

Back