kids and kempo

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks...i have thought of things like that but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...and yet closing would suck... i need to find and consider some options.

Marlon

Hi Marlon, please don't close down there's some options for sure, call me if you want to talk, I'll be back in town in june.

Dom

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kick the mother and the daughter out and don't look back... give in to them and you will have 'attitudes' with the rest of your students as well.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would invite the mother and daughter for a private chat if they show up again. Tell daughter how well she did, and hwo she is an example to the rest of the class. Tell her that not apssing the test, and coming back and trying again and passing it, will be an even bigger inspiration on the kids in the class who look up to her as somebody they want to be like. Tell her how much she has improved recently, and ask her why she thinks she made the mistakes she made. That could be a very interesting and long conversation, do not accept "I don't know" as an answer.

If Mom has any sense at all (not to be assumed) then she should come around to understand as you go down this line of conversation.

if they don't get it, they will leave soon.

if they leave, be sure to use it as an opportunity to teach the ones that stay. Be discreet, the students' will get the principles, and the parents will get the message.

At our school we have contracts, so they would be owing the payments for tuition even if they quit. So I would do what I could, this could be a turning point in this girl's ENTIRE LIFE so you have to try to make it right. but if they refuse to learn, then I have no reason to keep them in the school where they can only have negative impact.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would invite the mother and daughter for a private chat if they show up again. Tell daughter how well she did, and hwo she is an example to the rest of the class. Tell her that not apssing the test, and coming back and trying again and passing it, will be an even bigger inspiration on the kids in the class who look up to her as somebody they want to be like.

Excellent advice. We know this as long-time survivors in the MA, but the kid and her Mother probably don't.

if they don't get it, they will leave soon.
Very true. You won't have to 'get them' to leave.

if they leave, be sure to use it as an opportunity to teach the ones that stay. Be discreet, the students' will get the principles, and the parents will get the message.
Very important point. Again, don't assume that the students or parents are able to sort it out in the same way you can. Sometimes we have to tell them direclty so they connect the dots. But discreetly, even obliquely, as Dave said.

BigKiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Marlon,

Please let me know if they have come back. This can turn out to be a story of one who rises to the challenge, or someone who backed off on the first failure. Maybe she would be inspired to hear how many times Abraham Lincoln failed in his life; he never stopped trying.

Regards,

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think you did anything wrong Marlon. :)

She is 9 years old, and she's been blue for 8 months to a year. She may not think that doing Kempo is her thing. Or her mom may be just as unbearable to her at home as she is to you.

A 9 year old child should be in Kempo for one reason...because they want to be there.
Kids are fickle.
sean

Latest Discussions