How many of the old crew still post on here

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself active; but, I poke my head in now and then!
Hope you're well!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been here since 2003. Glad to see you back, Terry. Thank the gods that your health is bouncing back!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Terry,
Still around, have never been a big poster but enjoy it from time to time.
Hang in there and live life as large as you are able. As a survivor you deserve it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm still here... but then you already knew that. Glad your back terry..... we missed our resident Martial Talk Ultimate Post Whore Extreme :D

Glad you are doing better too

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i read the board from time to time, but once the TKD section became "WTF or nothing" i lost interest

Well -- post something and help change that! A couple of those absolute folks are gone...

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure if I qualify for "the Old Crew", but I am still around and not going anywhere.

Hmm my join date is before Tez` so I must be old *hides* :D

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i read the board from time to time, but once the TKD section became "WTF or nothing" i lost interest

jks9199 said:
Well -- post something and help change that! A couple of those absolute folks are gone...

TF, jks is right. Those folks have been gone now for quite a while. This section is wide open for informative discussion whether you do TKD for sport or SD or as a hobby or whatever. Jump in!
:wavey:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Seriously folks? The WTF/Kukkiwon crowd killed the taekwondo forum? We really want to follow that hypocritical and disingenuous line of argument? For what? To liven things up? Here are some things I think are killing this forum.

1. Mediocre and sometimes childish posts by taekwondoin of all stripes. That mediocrity extends to how we communicate and write on this forum. We should not be seeing educated, senior and English-speaking taekwondoin writing like illiterate six-year-olds. Sounds harsh, but it's hard to take a poorly thought out post, with a million typos and grammatical errors, seriously.

2. Personal promotion, whereby folks from various taekwondo stripes focus on promoting themselves at the expense of everything else. For every WTF/Kukkiwon zealot out there, there's an equal opposing number of other-brand taekwondoin trying to push their agenda.

3. Some folks here obnoxiously preach what they don't practice and when called on it they result to personal insults. Put simply, if you want to lecture us on taekwondo, please stay in fighting shape or at least help someone else to do the same.

4. Many senior taekwondoin no longer post here, and that has greatly hurt the quality of discussion. How many 4th-9th dans of any taekwondo style – especially dojang owners – post on the taekwondo forum today, compared to three years ago? How do we get those folks back?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
4. Many senior taekwondoin no longer post here, and that has greatly hurt the quality of discussion. How many 4th-9th dans of any taekwondo style – especially dojang owners – post on the taekwondo forum today, compared to three years ago? How do we get those folks back?

In addition to being some of the things TwinFist posted about (Hi, John!!) some of those folks are all of the things you're talking about, in re: mediocre and somtimes childish posts, personal promotion, preaching what they don't practice....:rolleyes:

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously folks? The WTF/Kukkiwon crowd killed the taekwondo forum?

I think you're taking the comments out of context. The original comments were "WTF or nothing" and "A couple of those absolute folks are gone". WTF/KKW instructors and practitioners, in general, have contributed quite a bit to this forum. The juvenile actions of a few that are now gone doesn't and shouldn't reflect negatively on those that do positively contribute to the forum.

Mediocre and sometimes childish posts by taekwondoin of all stripes. That mediocrity extends to how we communicate and write on this forum. We should not be seeing educated, senior and English-speaking taekwondoin writing like illiterate six-year-olds. Sounds harsh, but it's hard to take a poorly thought out post, with a million typos and grammatical errors, seriously.

I quite agree! (some pet peeves are there, their and they're, two, to and too and know and no).

Many senior taekwondoin no longer post here, and that has greatly hurt the quality of discussion. How many 4th-9th dans of any taekwondo style – especially dojang owners – post on the taekwondo forum today, compared to three years ago? How do we get those folks back?

I don't think the actual rank means much. Someone either has something positive to contribute or they don't. In years past we've had high ranking people (or alleged high ranking people) that offered more dissent than anything positive. To the point they were shown the door. So be it. They of all people should have followed the 'courtesy to all' doctrine but unfortunately chose not to do so. As a result they got put out on the curb.

Since that time I've seen much discussion on the art of TKD from all it's aspects. I've seen many a thread on everything from competitions to forms to self defense to personal triumphs to people looking for advice or help during a low point. What I haven't generally seen, nor missed, was the bickering or 'my way or the highway' or the folks covering for unethical behavior because it was within their own organization.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since my absent of mainly four years who is still here active and posting an a regular basis?

Welcome back, Terry.

I've been active for about the past two weeks, a little in this section, and a little in other sections. After some of what went on in this section a couple years back, I lost most of my enthusiasm for posting (I had actually asked to have my account deleted, but MT does not delete accounts).

I came back after a long absence earlier this year, then didn't post anything after March. Then about two weeks ago, I checked back in and posted a bit. The tone of things seems a lot more civil than it was. I'm not sure if that's because people got the message or because a lot of people just stopped posting.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seriously folks? The WTF/Kukkiwon crowd killed the taekwondo forum? We really want to follow that hypocritical and disingenuous line of argument? For what? To liven things up?
A lot of the WTF or nothing (which was never actually said, by the way) attitude was a backlash against to WTF/KKW sucks/doesn't work in a real fight/all manner of style bashing against the art. A lot of WTF/KKW people, myself being one reported things frequently and were frustrated with the perception that the "style bashing" rule had been lifted for WTF/KKW taekwondo.

That coupled with a lot of non TKD people jumping in and taking sides, and frequently posting without an adequate knowledge base didn't help.

Here are some things I think are killing this forum.

1. Mediocre and sometimes childish posts by taekwondoin of all stripes. That mediocrity extends to how we communicate and write on this forum. We should not be seeing educated, senior and English-speaking taekwondoin writing like illiterate six-year-olds. Sounds harsh, but it's hard to take a poorly thought out post, with a million typos and grammatical errors, seriously.
That was pretty rife on both sides of the WTF/not WTF arguments, particularly towards the end of 2012 when I stopped posting here.

2. Personal promotion, whereby folks from various taekwondo stripes focus on promoting themselves at the expense of everything else. For every WTF/Kukkiwon zealot out there, there's an equal opposing number of other-brand taekwondoin trying to push their agenda.
Agreed; it was pretty two sided.

3. Some folks here obnoxiously preach what they don't practice and when called on it they result to personal insults. Put simply, if you want to lecture us on taekwondo, please stay in fighting shape or at least help someone else to do the same.
That was also pretty rife all around.

Unfortunately, you probably don't. Not quickly at least. Once those people leave, they generally don't come back. And once word gets around, you don't generally get replenishment with similar people.

Respectful dialogue, engaging topics, and consistent moderation are the keys. Just as the bad gets around, so does the good, though it usually takes a lot longer.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions