How many school still follow the Korean way

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This comes from the other thread about how many Korean Master's, my question is simple how many of you still train with a Korean Master and who would that be? I currently do not I train under a non-Korean but I still talk to my old G.M., he is just to far away to actually get his training. He is missed but I have adapted to my current stituation.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I posted this link in the other thread. http://www.usktkd.com/html/instructor.html

I'm new enough to TKD I don't really know how significant this bio is, but as far as I can tell he is a quality instructor and runs a good school, even if it is a little on the McDojo side . And for what it's worth, we have other 4th degree instructors who come in and assist with the testing (like a board of judges) and we've had visiting masters assist with general classes, so I've seen him interact with Korean masters and non-Korean masters and I don't think we have the tension issue that's been mentioned. He just seems like a really humble down to earth guy.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our Master/Coach is 1/2 Korean and 1/2 African American...Our Comp team has allot of Korean influence. I have talked to our Master about his relationship with other Korean Masters. He said 15 years ago most of the Masters did not acknowledge his existence. He has always felt that this had a Racial component to it. He said that it has gotten better over the last five years. The Korean Masters now seek him out. He thinks that the success of our team has opened allot of eyes and he feels it is only going to get better. He has been selected to go to Korea at the end of this month to coach a team for a well known Korean Master. He feels that his is a great step in the right direction.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our GM is korean and was one the first to bring tkd to australia. These days he is in his 70's and isnt as 'hands on' as he once was but will still occasionally, without warning, jump up after black belt grading and will give an impromptu class to all those in attendance. These days the club has an eighth dan, 3 or 4 7th dans and quite a few 5th and 6th dans who all instruct under the GM's guidance and they regularly go to him for advice on training ideas, forms etc. All white belts still have to be graded by our GM and all black belts of any level must be graded by him. The coloured belts are graded by the 7th or 8th dans. He now has a chief instructor (7th dan) in place who runs much of the clubs day to day business in a full time role.