Who is your direct instructor and how long have you trained under them?

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
This question was thought of as a spin-off from another thread.

I'm curious as to how long have people here have trained on a regular basis under an instructor. Even if you operate your own school, do you continue to take class from a senior instructor? I know of people (not here) that claim a certain teacher, but they might have only trained 1 time per year under them or only at an occasional seminar.

For instructors or students that have moved geographically away from their instructor, how many years did you train under the instructor and how many classes per week during that time?

R. McLain

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how long have people here have trained on a regular basis under an instructor.

My sahbum is Mr. Douglas Arnold, VI Dan, who has been my instructor since February, 1987.

Even if you operate your own school, do you continue to take class from a senior instructor?

At least 1 time/week - sometimes 2.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor is GM Gin Kim out of California since 1982 when I lived there it was 6 days a week since I moved back to Texas it has been three times a year.

I also study under Allen Combe 6th dan kukkiwon around five times a year he and his twin have been studying since 1978 under Gin Kim and Allen is my brother in Law.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
My current sahbum is John Patton, I've trained under him for the last 9 years. We started out as students together under our first ATA instructor in the mid-80's, college time off gave him a rank or two on me so it works out well. We've been great friends for about 22 years ;).

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ps. Training frequency is a couple nights per week, for a couple of hours each. Then I also do continuous sparring on Fridays at the Corvallis school for at least an hour with minute or two breathers every 10-15 minutes. I _love_ that time for the sheer physical nature of it.
Then my heavy bag routine, which was reported dead, is reviving heh.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train with Grandmaster Hwang Ki Baik (8th Dan), Master Chang Youn Hyun (5th Dan), Master Jacky Baik (4th Dan), Instructor Anthony Rodriguez (3rd Dan), and Instructor Jackie Wu (3rd Dan.) Grandmaster Hwang Ki Baik was my instructor when I started at 15. When I was 16 I was forced into a 7 year break. When I came back Grandmaster Baik had pretty much retired from teaching and Master Hyun had taken over. After 6 months he was given the opportunity to teach in Los Angeles where he now teaches Tobey Maguire and Johnny Depp. Instructor Anthony Rodriguez is the one who teaches the classes now pretty much. I sometimes go to Grandmaster Baik's son's dojang and train with the sparring team. Master Baik (Jacky) had just become the coach for the UCSD Taekwondo team so sometimes when he's not available we train under Jackie Wu. Yup...

OP
rmclain

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is GM Gin Kim out of California since 1982 when I lived there it was 6 days a week since I moved back to Texas it has been three times a year.

I also study under Allen Combe 6th dan kukkiwon around five times a year he and his twin have been studying since 1978 under Gin Kim and Allen is my brother in Law.

When did you move from California to Texas?

R. McLain

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been with my current instructor, Jongoon Kim, since 1982. He retired from his faculty position at Michigan State about 7 years ago but I see him often and he is involved in our program.

ron

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When did you move from California to Texas?

R. McLain

I moved back to Texas in 1990 when my father passed away, and have been actively going back in forth ever since.

Just for the record I went to high school here in Texas

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructors are KJN Ernie Reyes, Sr. and KJN Tony Thompson. They are partners who came up together under the same instructor and began their schools 30 years ago (which have now grown to 45 schools). I began training under them in 1977 and trained pretty much daily under them for roughly 9 years until I moved away for college. Now I fly out to train with them for 4-5 days, twice per year and they will come out my way once a year to "abuse" me and my senior students.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor is GM Edward Sell. Sadly, I only see him about once a year, as we're on opposite coasts.We are in contact monthly & I send him video progress reports. I also train with a sister school 210 miles north of me about once every other month.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
my head instructer is KEN FIZER and I have been training under him for about 4 years now. now we do go to his instructers class sometimes but it's a little bit far to travel every week.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
My primary instructor is Gregory M. Peters, 4th Dan. I trained under him 3-4 times a week for about 3 years, and off and on after that for another 4 years (I moved about 3 hours away, so it became rather difficult to train as regularly as I would like).
I would now like to take this opportunity to talk about Hong Kong Fooey's instructor, Ken Fizer. Pastor Ken is so full of........

......Good technique! I had to give you a hard time about that. (In case the rest of you did not realize it, we know each other). Just thought I would say hi. When I get a free night, I will drop in on class to get in another good workout and to see you and TKDgirl. Also, my school is always open to you two. Just give me a heads up and let me know.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This question was thought of as a spin-off from another thread.

I'm curious as to how long have people here have trained on a regular basis under an instructor. Even if you operate your own school, do you continue to take class from a senior instructor? I know of people (not here) that claim a certain teacher, but they might have only trained 1 time per year under them or only at an occasional seminar.

For instructors or students that have moved geographically away from their instructor, how many years did you train under the instructor and how many classes per week during that time?
R. McLain

I have had hundreds of instructors.

I have one Sahbum
Grand Master Walter Lang
28 years

Latest Discussions