How long did it take you to get to the TKD belt rank you have now?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
What belt do you have and how long has it taken you to get to this point. I was just curious....... also, how much time have you (or do you) put into training, in the dojang and out? I have been trying to go at least 3 times a week, and I also practice about 30 minutes a day at home, is that not enough or too much? (I'm a white belt in ATA by the way.....) Thanks guys!

Training for more than 11 years. Stopped chasing belts after 1st Dan but never stopped training. I refused to feed the commercial, belt test monster that has consumed so much of the art. I have respect for people's dedication and hard work. However, in my neck of the woods, 2nd Dan final test (not including all the money grubbing dan-gup test nonsense, of which there are ten) is about $600. Add in those dan-gup tests and monthly fees, someone is getting rich. So, I train on my own and attend clinics on occasion. MA is part of my fitness program and overall well being. I have no competition or teaching goals. Having removed the ego and status aspect from the equation, I enjoy MA much more.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While that makes sense for you, Rumy, I'm a gamer. Working towards further progress is part of the enjoyment for me.

The nice thing is, you can do it your way, and I can do it my way, and we're both doing what's right for us.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
While that makes sense for you, Rumy, I'm a gamer. Working towards further progress is part of the enjoyment for me.

The nice thing is, you can do it your way, and I can do it my way, and we're both doing what's right for us.

I applaud you. Go for it. For me, I would rather spend the resources on my son.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What belt do you have and how long has it taken you to get to this point. I was just curious....... also, how much time have you (or do you) put into training, in the dojang and out? I have been trying to go at least 3 times a week, and I also practice about 30 minutes a day at home, is that not enough or too much? (I'm a white belt in ATA by the way.....) Thanks guys!

I train three-four times, six days a week. Began training in late 1986, earned Kukkiwon 1st Dan seven years later in 1993, 3rd Dan in 2001, 4th Dan in 2007 and 5th Dan in early 2012. My son, trains three times weekly, started learning in 2010 and earned his Kukkiwon 1st-Poom iin December 2012, a month before he turned eight

Latest Discussions