How long did it take you to get to the TKD belt rank you have now?

ukdal1

White Belt
Reaction score
What belt do you have and how long has it taken you to get to this point. I was just curious....... also, how much time have you (or do you) put into training, in the dojang and out? I have been trying to go at least 3 times a week, and I also practice about 30 minutes a day at home, is that not enough or too much? (I'm a white belt in ATA by the way.....) Thanks guys!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have trained for 27 years and I am a 4th Dan and I personnally train 6 days a week, this is going to vary on what you want quality or belts. Sorry to say that but it is so true nowadays.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been in TKD for 21 years, and I'm a IV Dan - my last testing was in February, 2005.

Generally, my students come to class 2 times/week, and train at home at least 2 times/week (I teach at a Y, so my class is only available during class times - but students come over to my house when they need extra help). For most students, it is 3-1/2 to 4 years to black belt (10 color belt ranks, 3-4 months per rank minimum). After that, the minimum test time (which few people meet) is 2 years to II Dan, 3 years to III Dan, etc.

It's not just how much time you spend training - it's how long you are in the art and how much you understand. Physical training is the easy part - the depth and breadth of understanding necessary for higher ranks can't be reached solely on physical training. I could teach white belts my IV Dan patterns - but so what? They wouldn't understand the techniques; it would be aerobics. The progression through the belt ranks is intended to give students the time to understand the techniques, to integrate their understanding of each technique into their understanding of other techniques, and into an overall understanding of the art - it takes as long as it takes.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It took me about 4 or 5 years to become a black belt, this was in the mid 80's.

I use to train 3 times per week when younger, now I have one year training again and do it twice a week, some times three timesa a weeks. With a demanding job and a family to raise and take care of I can't go to dojan more than 3 times per week.

Manny

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been training for 26 years. I tested for my 3rd Dan in March 2007.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Getting close to six years, and I'll be testing for first dan this autumn. We don't rush things in my school! :D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Getting close to six years, and I'll be testing for first dan this autumn. We don't rush things in my school! :D
Your one of those rank chasers I've heard about...
icon10.gif

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... and falling further back in the race every minute, it looks like! :uhohh:
Actually, your doing it the right way Exile. I would value your black belt ranking much higher than someone who strapped it on within a couple years of beginning. I bet it's safe to say your instruction is at a higher level.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... and falling further back in the race every minute, it looks like! :uhohh:

Quality is much more important than speed - people who get their belts rapidly, or because they showed up at the requisite number of classes, or paid dues the requisite amount of time - those people don't really value (or, in too many cases, understand) what they are given. You will have earned your rank, and it will have a value that goes far beyond the piece of cotton around your waist.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, your doing it the right way Exile. I would value your black belt ranking much higher than someone who strapped it on within a couple years of beginning. I bet it's safe to say your instruction is at a higher level.

I appreciate the thought, QG, and I have to say, I've never felt in much of a hurry to get to Shodan. I'd rather get there later, having trained for that extra time, than test too early. I figure my instructor has me pegged dead-on in terms of what I know and what I can do, and I'm happy to trust his judgment.

And really, it's a bad idea to go for rank that you aren't quite good enough to be really entitled to... I mean, who wants to feel that kind of pressure, like any moment you might find yourself having to show skill and mastery that you don't actually possess? What could be more embarrassingly unpleasant? A couple of times in my life I've had dreams&#8212;real nightmares&#8212;in which, because of some mistake or other, I was standing in front of a large crowd of people about to deliver a lecture on some topic I had no business even thinking about, let alone talking about to an attentive audience. Premature rank must feel a bit like that, I'd think... :eek:

Quality is much more important than speed - people who get their belts rapidly, or because they showed up at the requisite number of classes, or paid dues the requisite amount of time - those people don't really value (or, in too many cases, understand) what they are given. You will have earned your rank, and it will have a value that goes far beyond the piece of cotton around your waist.

I agree, Kacey. I've always liked the idea of saving the best for last, and in this case, as you say, the value is the training itself, and the development of the skills&#8212;the belt is just the external sign.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I retired from TKD with a 3rd Dan after nearly 10 years. I also didn't start as a white belt though, I entered TKD as a blue belt due to previous experience in another art.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Been training in Taekwondo for 25 years and currently hold the rank of 5th Dan through Kukkiwon and Chung Do Kwan.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's good not just to see the ranks we have here in the community but the time committed to the arts as well. :ubercool:

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, it is impolite to ask people their rank. It is more polite to ask people how long they have trained. Half the time they'll volunteer the information anyway regardless of whether they were asked. I can make some rank inferences based on how long they say they've trained and how good their manners are.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been into martial arts for 23 years and TKD specific for 18 years. Graded 4th degree in 2005.

Stuart

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've only been taking TKD for 2 weeks and loving every minute of it. I have class twice per week as well as one private lesson per month. I do about 15 minutes of stretches per day with another 15 minutes on blocks and kicks and around 3-4 hours of cardio per week (running, jump rope or power walking). At my school we have strict class hour requirements for each belt and the average time to a black belt I was told is 3-5 years. My first stripe grading is in 2 weeks (3 stripes per each color belt), white belt currently. :D

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing TKD for just about 2 years, and am testing for 5th kup (high green) on June 21st. I do my TKD in dojang twice a week, and Seido Karate in the dojo 3 times a week. I practice forms and techniques every day for about 45 minutes to an hour, and do pushups and situps as well.

Latest Discussions