How high can instructors promote their students?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
migod, someone cover my eyes...

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Time enhansed photo.

Attachments

• $biggeroffer_lrg.jpg
    $biggeroffer_lrg.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 357

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
Time enhansed photo.
My belt used to hang that long that until I hit 40 years old. Now I can barely get it around my waist.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
I think it's been done...
Yes, his reverse belt thing he coined up. I think the black and red all indicate his advanced degrees in all martial arts he's studied:idunno: and achieved.

It looks stupid.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was brought up to believe that an instructor could promote to one rank below his own rank. I have heard that some systems make it two degrees below.

As far as people getting ranked to a 10th Dan....I have heard of a variety of options. One would be to create a new name for your system and claim that you are the grand master of that system, since you created it. That has been done way too many times.

Another would be only slightly more honest. As you develop your ability, add a degree to your own belt every five years or so. You are ranking yourself but at least it isn't overnight. It's kind of like homeschooling yourself. As you learn more, you graduate to another level.

The next is more realistic. Once you have established yourself as a life long instructor in the arts and have developed a strong following, the black belts that you have trained through the years vote for you to receive your next rank. Then they sign your certificate.

The last is for an existing Grandmaster to basically retire from teaching and promote a student of his to 10th degree to carry on the system in his absence.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
Time enhansed photo.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Spry has the GLOW!" Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling???

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope, nothing to do with Suzy Spirit. Think of the movie The Last Dragon.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sho' Nuff!!

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, his reverse belt thing he coined up. I think the black and red all indicate his advanced degrees in all martial arts he's studied:idunno: and achieved.

It looks stupid.
And I suppose all the fat boy wearing 2 bars who can't see the knot don't look stupid. I hope they don't go training on the beach. Wouldn't want Rainbow Warrior towing them into the ocean.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just say "No!" to zombie-revivification.

The last reply in this thread was mid-2006 and you have added nothing to it with your un-necessary, content-free, couple of posts.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our system (An American style of Ju-Jitsu) my Instructors certificate states I can promote to 1 rank below my present and all future ranks. Now, I was promoted to Godan (Highest in our style) by the founder of our system and he has since died, so I could not (technically) promote anyone above Yondan. The only way I would consider promoting a student to Godan would be to get all the current Godans in our style and then to have us agree that the student was worthy of that rank or if I'm the last one alive I would pass it on to the Yondan that would continue the style.

Michael

Latest Discussions