How do you weed out the jackasses?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
The instructor should be on top of these people, not you. I think a comment like "hey, I'm trying to learn here, do you think you could take this a little more seriously?" is the only thing you should have to say. Beyond that, the instructor needs to do his job. If they keep it up, then maybe your skills and focus will have to be put into play during a sparring session to get the point across.
I completely agree. It is the instructors job, not yours to keep these guys in order but if you must bring it up, this statement and other option for handling it is perfect IMO...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
jdinca, makes a very good point. If they are being obnoxious then you need to be more obnoxious in your statement of disgust. If that does not work then go to your instructor. If that does not work then take the drastic step of knocking them out or making some body parts no longer function. The last step is drastic and should not be undertaken lightly. My Wife went through a similar situation and had to resort to an escalation in the violence level. If these steps do not resolve the issue then you need to look for a new school.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel yoru pain, I also train very seriously and keep my joking for before and after class...but I am known to goof off occasionally!

If my instructor (a drill sargent in the military forces)...feels we are goofing off to much..puts us through our paces and we all end up to tired to well crawl, blink sometimes even breathe...that brings us back to reality and the reason we are there! He often says that fatique is the biggest enemy you face on the street...you cabn have all the skills but if a fight goes on longer than you can handle, it aint gonna help you!

Maybe your instructor allows a little goofing off to help build camraderie between members....maybe its a money thing....I think the person you should be asking is not here...but at your dojo!

I find that "acidentally" hitting or throwing your opponent so that they get jarred a little...helps them concentrate and makes them train with you harder to get you back!

If you are a senior ranked member..it may well be within your rights to tell them....senior members in my dojo/dojang are allowed to punish members for goofing off...a yellow belt can discipline a white belt etc!

I hope you find a solution!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Well... he IS 17 ya know?

Yes sir, but he, err, his parents pay the monthly tuition so this numnuts always shows up at the dojang. Anyway, you're correct, it's all about maturity, and this kid is short on that. I've tried to encourage him, but I'm just a TKD trainee too, I don't run the show, nor would I want to because if I were in charge I would run the guy. But then again, it's not my place, so if they were to dump him it would be lost tuition for the dojang. Mc Dojang? Not pretty…:miffer:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
ask the person in charge to have a word with those people.

OP
Jesse

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
Its been a few days since the first post, have you been back to class yet ?
Regards,
Walt

Nope not yet, Wednesday will be the day of test. We'll see how things go.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm considering all my options.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Well... he IS 17 ya know?

Should I be offended?

Anyway, I can't say anything to this that hasnt already been said.

But, cheer up. Even in my short time in MA, what I've seen is the jackasses weed themselves out.
Once they realize that the studio isn't their private playground and no one thinks they are as good/funny as they think themselves, and that work is actually expected, they tend to leave.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
Should I be offended?

Anyway, I can't say anything to this that hasnt already been said.

But, cheer up. Even in my short time in MA, what I've seen is the jackasses weed themselves out.
Once they realize that the studio isn't their private playground and no one thinks they are as good/funny as they think themselves, and that work is actually expected, they tend to leave.

Good point. Unless, of course, the school is run by jackasses, who behave that way themselves.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The jackasses that we had in our school weeded themselves out rather quickly. There are a few students still in my class that just aren't very serious. When partnered with them, I'd correct them...I'd correct the way they were holding the pad or the way they were blocking me. If I had to correct them a few times, that would get my instructor's attention.

Best of luck!

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd go to your instructor. If your instructor does nothing about it, you can either leave the school or put up with it. Don't resort to what I did once as a red belt though.... A guy was being a jackass, so I snapped and kicked him as hard as I could. Ofc, I got severely talked to and punished with 100 push-ups (which for me is painful). So I wouldn't suggest going that route. I should never have let my temper get the better of me and feel ashamed of it to this day.

Becky

TLHisComing

White Belt
Reaction score
I Like to take the goof off as my personal ummmm hummmm how to put this.... ummm my personal ***** for joint lock drills and hope the comprehend they need to straighten up. If they actually have to nerve to continue acting up after that they are told to leave and given a refund for the month.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TLHisComing said:
I Like to take the goof off as my personal ummmm hummmm how to put this.... ummm my personal ***** for joint lock drills and hope the comprehend they need to straighten up. If they actually have to nerve to continue acting up after that they are told to leave and given a refund for the month.

Fantastic...I need to come and play with you.

Regards,
Walt

Latest Discussions