Printing large certificates (11" x 17")

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good afternoon to all,

Just wondering what everyone uses to print out large rank certificates? Basically, I'm looking for a printer that can handle 11" x 17" (A3 type) or even 11.5" x 17".

Color inkjet, or color laser, it really doesn't matter, since the yudansha rank certificates are the only ones that will be printed on this printer (kyu rank certificates are standard 8.5" x 11").

Thanks!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most printing places like Staples, Office Depot, etc have photcopiers and printers that can handle up to 11 x 17. Any bigger then that and it is harder to find someone able to handle it. :)

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
HP makes a model that does that, my mom has one, I can't remember the model number though. Either way, if you want to invest in a printer that does it, they are out there.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geek hat on.

We bought an HP DeskJet 9800 at one of our sites for printing 11x17 paper. It also will do A3 size. It was not expensive, about US$300.

The prints look good. Prints with heavy graphics...where a lot of ink is being put on paper, is served well by heavier paper stock.

To watch for: HP makes their money is not on the printer, but on the toner cartridges that the printers use. A toner set is $50-60 and doesn't last very long. Laser print cartridges last longer and have less saturation concerns, but require bigger expenditures for the printer and the cartridges. You will need to buy cartridges with the printer, HP's starter cartridges will only last for a few pages.

This one needs some space...as will any that you buy of this size. The hopper can hold 11x17 paper, this printer has a larger footprint than what you may be accustomed to seeing.

If you will be largely using this for your Yudansha certificates, this may be a good investment for your school.

Something to keep in mind:

Do you have the office space to hold a printer this size, or will the extra bulk be a big hassle?

Lisa's suggestion of using Office Depot, Staples, Kinkos, etc. requires the least cash outlay. You can either e-mail over the files and have them printed, or bring a CD over and have them printed.

However, having a printer in house saves you the trip and the hassle. On the off chance that something goes wrong with the certificates, they get wet, or a name was unintentionally mispelled, you would have the capability to make reprints on the spot. You may find other uses too, such as signage that is more effective at the 11x17 size.

Geek hat off.

:asian:

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Lady_Kaur.

I've had my eye on the HP 9800, since it's one of the cheapest printers that can do the 11x17 prints at a shade under 300 bucks. The big turn off, though, is that this printer has a pretty high consumables cost, even if we're only going to use it occasionally.

I've also been looking at the Epson 1280 (400 bucks), and Canon i9900 (500 bucks, but lower consumables cost).

You're dead on when you mentioned that the ink cartridges included with HP inkjet printers, come only half-filled. I've seen folks simply throw away the cheaper HP inkjet printers, so that they could buy a new inkjet printer, since the cost of the non-crippled cartridges was coming uncomfortably close to the original printer price...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem I've had going to Staples or Kinkos or other print service locations is there is somtimes a wait. Time is costly for me and then when I've emailed the files in, they magically get lost somehow. Could just be me (schlepprock), but ... I prefer, if I can swing it, to have my own right there when I'm ready for it.

Please let us know if you procure a product and what it is and how you feel about it. Thanks!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
I've seen folks simply throw away the cheaper HP inkjet printers, so that they could buy a new inkjet printer, since the cost of the non-crippled cartridges was coming uncomfortably close to the original printer price...
As much as I HATE to throw away good equipment, that is precisely what I did. Tossed the printer because a new one came with the cartridges and there was only a few dollars difference between the price of a new cartridge and a new lexmark inkjet that includes inkjet cartridges. (it was a cheap inkjet, HP actually)

Another angle they get you on the ink jet consumables, is that some printers have a single cartridge that does color and black. Then there are printers that have a black cartridge and color cartridges. The problem with the single cartridge approach, they often mix the colors to make black, really draining the cartridge any time you print.

I would suggest if you do go with an ink jet, make sure it has a separate black cartridge versus the single cartridge approach.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For really large posters or prints.....check out the "Blue prints shops...they can make very LARGE prints.

We had a Judo poster done this way, reasonable too! .....Aloha

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My schools are large, but we send out for them...so...we don't print um out ourselves.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I design and print my students certs on my home computer, then go to Office Max and have them color copy to 11"x17" (for the advanced levels)on heavy cardstock parchment.
I went to Kinko's once, and they said they would not copy/enlarge them for me unless I brought notarized documents showing that I was authorized by the owner of the "company" on business letterhead. Needless to say I went down the street to Office Max, and they did it real quick without any hassle.

Franco

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I may as well share some experiences.

I ended up getting the HP9800 printer for this purpose. When combining this printer with Graytex's Parchment paper (11x17), it ends up being an excellent combination. Also, it's extremely economical using this combination, since you can get a box of 100 11x17 sheets of parchment for under 50 bucks, shipped.

Thanks to all for your help.

Latest Discussions