curricullum (I hope that this is spelled right I am drawing a complete blank today)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
From my viewpoint as a kyu student I think our system resembles kick boxing at low levels then progresses in the direction of tai chi as one learns the finer points of wado. The basic kicks and punches are taught first, then elbow and knee strikes and later more complex kicks and open handed strikes. Ukemi wasa are also taught from white belt level. Breathing, natural movement and relaxation becomes more important after a while. We have nine kyu levels and for each a number of sparring combinations ranging from four to ten. Higher belts are required to do more free sparring. There are also throws and wristlocks wich are taught mostly at 3.kyu and above. There is one kata for each belt, except two for 3. kyu and 1.kyu. The curriculum for 1-3. dan include three katas each.

T

TheBattousai

Man, you had to ask, so here it goes:
(The listing is what rank your going for)
This is for Kempo, there are some auxilary arts too that help refine princibles, but there mainly to help advance your kempo. I'll post those only upon request.....since I don't have the list with me(and its alot of typing). If you have any questions, just ask.

Yellow(Gokyu) = Throws - Ogoshi, Osotogari, Sasaetsurikomiashi. Blocks - Outer Circular Block, Inner Circular Block. Hand Techniques - Reverse Punch, Chop, Back Elbow. Kicks - Front Snap Kick, Roundhouse Kick, Side Snap Kick. Chokes - Hadaka Jime, Kata Juji Shime. Kata & Embu - Hambo Kata, Kempo Kata*, Karate Embu.

Green(Yonkyu) = Throws - Deashibarai, Ipponseonage, Taiotoshi. Blocks - Cross Block, X block. Hand Techniques - Straight Punch, Heel of Hand, Slap. Kicks - Straight Kick, Inside Roundhouse Kick, Knee Kick. Chokes - One Hand Carotid Grab, Kataha Jime. Counterjoints - Kotegaeshi, Ikkyo. Kata & Embu - Hambo Embu, Kempo Kata*, Karate Embu.

3rd Brown(Sankyu) = Throws - Tomoenage, Moroteseoinage, Kataguruma. Blocks - Rising Block, Tiger Claw Catch. Hand Techniques - Tiger Claw, Forward Elbow Strike, Hammer Fist. Kicks - Outer Cresent Kick, Leaping Front Snap Kick, Stomp. Chokes - Nami Juji Shime, One Hand Thumb Choke. Counterjoints - Finger Grab, Hammer Lock. Kata & Embu - Bo Kata, Kempo Kata*, Karate Embu.

2nd Brown(Nikkyu) = Throws - Ukigoshi, Hizaguruma, Sotomakikomi. Blocks - Wing Block, Inside Forearm Block. Hand Techniques - Jab, Grab, Reverse Chop. Kicks - Back Kick, Back Thrust Kick, Inner Cresent Kick. Chokes - Okari Eri Jime, Two Handed Front Choke. Counterjoints - Nikkyo, Udegarami. Kata & Embu - Bo Embu, Kempo Kata*, Karate Embu.

1st Brown(Ikkyu) = Throws - Uchi Mata, Sumi Otoshi, Kochi Guruma. Blocks - Wrist Arch Block, Elbow Block. Hand Techniques - Backfist, Backhand, Down Elbow Strike. Kicks - Stationary Side Kick, Wheel Kick, Flying Side Kick. Chokes - Two Handed Rear Choke, Jigoku Jime. Counterjoints - Waki Gatame, Ude Gatame. Kata & Embu - Nunchaku Kata, Nunchaku Embu, Kempo Kata*, Karate Embu.

1st Black(Shodan) = Throws - Sukuinage, Ouchigari, Haraigoshi. Blocks - Down Palm Press Block, Foot Block. Hand Techniques - Snake Strike Finger Jab, Thumb Knuckle Strike, Extended Knuckles. Kicks - Side Snap Instep Kick, Back Spin Kick, Double Kick. Chokes - Gyaku Juji Shime, Shin Choke. Counterjoints - Knee Lock, Full Nelson. Kata & Embu - Tonfa Kata, Tonfa Embu, Hard Fist Kata, 5 Animal Kata, Ko Keri Kata, Sanchin Kata, Tai Chi Kata, Karate Embu.

2nd Black(Nidan) = Throws - Kani Waza, Hanegoshi, Ukiotoshi. Blocks - Outside Forearm Block, Joined Hands Block. Hand Techniques - Flare Punch, Hook Punch, Circular Elbow. Kicks - Flying Back Spin Kick, Flying Double Kick, Hook Kick. Chokes - Sankaku Jime, Reverse Nelson. Counterjoints - Shiho Nage, Sankyo Nage. Kata & Embu - Kobo Kata, Kobo Embu, Hard Fist Kata, Leopard Kata, Okeri Kata, Sanchin Kata, Tai Chi Kata, Karate Embu.

3rd Black(Sandan) = Throws - Haraitsurikomiashi, Kouchigari, Kosotogari. Blocks - Knife Hand Block, Scooping Block. Hand Techniques - Ridge Hand, Crane's Beak, Twin Dragon. Kicks - Roundhouse Knee Kick, Rear Snap Kick, Slide Kick. Chokes - Shoulder Choke, Nukite Kesashime. Counterjoints - Tachi Wakigatame, Ude Hishigi. Kata & Embu - Sai Kata, Sai Embu, Hard Fist Kata, Leopard Kata, White Crane Kata, Okeri Kata, Tai Chi Kata, Karate Embu.

4th Black(Yodan) = Throws - Kuchiki Taoshi, Morotegari, Ushirogoshi. Blocks - Yama Uke, Crane Head Block. Hand Techniques - Snapping Backfist, Eage Claw, Extended Thumb. Kicks - Front Thrust Kick, Step Behind Side Kick, Laying Hook & Kick. Body Blows - Back of Head, Shoulder Defense, Hips. Kata & Embu - Manrikigusari Kata, Manrikigusari Embu, Hard Fist Kata, Leopard Kata, White Crane Kata, Tiger Kata, Tai Chi Kata, Karate Embu.

5th Black(Godan) = Throws - Ukiwaza, Yoko Otoshi, Taniotoshi. Blocks - Downward Block, Backhand Block. Hand Techniques - U Punch, Upward Elbow, Side Elbow. Kicks - Half Outer Cresent Ax Kick, Laying Roundhouse Kick, Laying Side Kick. Body Blows - Flying Elbow Strike, Front of Head, Side of Body. Kata & Embu - Shuriken Kata, Shuriken Embu, Leopard Kata, White Crane Kata, Tora Kata, Snake Kata, Dragon Kata, Karate Kata.

Notes = All kyu ranks do there techniques kihon (phase 1) and kihon kumite (phase 2) ways, phase 1 the just do the tech. and phase 2 they do it from an attack, minus the chokes and counjoints because they are done only one way. For BB you do everything phase 1 and 2, then a renzoku ken/continuious fist form (phase 3) by doing the technique and appropriote follow ups/ setup tech. Katas are done in the form of jiyu (freestyle) way. The length of time varies threw rank: Yellow & Green, 15 sec.; All Brown, 30 sec.; BB, 1 min, with 1 min break in between. Prerequisites for someone going for BB is that they have to do a pretest and a mondo. In the pretest, you demonstrate all the techniques for the previous ranks. The mondo is a paper you write on questions given to you on a previous date and you just have a discussion on the answers, just to see how you are doing spiritualy.

*Formally called Toitsu Kempo Karate Kata, but I'm making room on this list.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As soon as I can get Sensei to sit down for a minute in front of the computer...MY school will have the requirements posted on the forum on the schools web site, but unfortunatly...unless you are going to the school you wouldn't be able to see any of the requirements except for Physical requirements.

T

TheBattousai

I've never seen the curriculam on the web before, so I'd thought I'd post atleast one side of the art.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have set my curricullum up so that there is no ste curricullum
what we do every month changes as I become a better teacher you do have to have a certain amount of Kata for each belt and know at least three effective breakdowns for each kata done against a resisting opponent. Once you are considered for Blackbelt you must have a vast knowledge of the human body, and the pressure points on the body ie cycle of destruction, diurnal cycle, yin yang theory etc. You must also have at least 5 effective breakdowns to each kata and be able to do these against a resisting opponent and they must also fight to get there Blackbelt not spar but fight (note not to injure but to make sure that they have the heart and can take care of themselves(note there can always be exceptions to this rule depending on age, physical health, and past experience)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
White belt (to get One green stripe/go to 9th Kyu)
Taekyoku Shodan
Taekyoku Nidan
Taekyoku Sandan
Taekyoku Yondan
thumb escape self defense
forward roll & backward roll
One green stripe (to get Two green stripes/8th kyu)
Pinan Shodan
Pinan Nidan
stamping kick self defense
drops
Two green stripes (to get Green belt/7th kyu)
Pinan Sandan
elbow strike self defense
rolling into drops
Green belt (to get One brown stripe/Roku kyu)
Pinan Yondan
kotagaeshi self defense
rolls over opposite shoulder
tambo forward grip
One brown stripe (to get Two brown strippes/Gokyu)
Pinan Godan
there's anouther self defense set but I cann't remember the name
"special uke training"
tambo reverse gripp
Two brown strippes (to get Brown belt/Yonkyu)
Juttae (I know there's more then one, but Coung Nhu only teaches one, and I don't know which)
Tambo 1 (literally the name)
Tension Form (again, literally the name)
more "special uke training"
Hip throw (Ogoshi)
Big outer clip
Kazushi (I know thats not the full name, but that is what it is called in Coung Nhu)
there's anouther self defense set, but I haven't bin introduced to it
Brown Belt (to get one Black stripe/Sankyu. be warned, I am not familiar with the rank at this point on)
Empi
Bo basics
Bo 1
Hip spring
One black stripe (to get two Black stripes/Nidan)
Chintae
Bo 2
Shoulder throw
Sacrifice throw
Two black stripes (to get Black belt/Shokyu)
Bo 3
Tambo 3 ( i know)
Black belt demo

Some were in there is knife, tambo, and bo defense. After Black belt all I know is that Black belt is Zero kyu instead of Shodan. And that Shodan is Nhu 1. And for Sandan is Sui Nim Dao, tambo 2 and I'm pretty sure there is anouther.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We learn:

white: basic form
orange: Taegeuk Il jang
yellow: Taegeuk E jang
green: Taegeuk sam jang, basic bo form 1
purple: Taegeuk sah jang
blue: Taegeuk o jang, basic bo form 2
brown: Taegeuk Yuk jang
red: Taegeuk chil jang, bo form
senior red (or high red): Taegeuk pal jang, kung fu form
prob black: Koryo
I think at BB level, there's another bo form, kung fu form, and TKD form. Don't know which ones tho (I'm only a senior red, so I'm not sure).

The bo forms, and kung fu form (theres more at dan levels) are ones that my instructor designed years ago (the bo forms, 4 total, are so cool too).

Anyways, aside from the forms, we learn one step sparring at each rank. We learn two combat tatics (kinda like step sparring, just "dirtier" with elbows, knees, palm strikes, leg kicks, ect hehehehehe), and three self defense at each rank (which includes excapes from all types of grabs, chokes, ect).

Latest Discussions