How do you weed out the jackasses?

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was at training last night and there was a group of guys that seemed to be goofing off the entire time. Making it really hard to concentrate on the lesson being taught.
Then my instructor told us to switch partners, making me be with one of these clowns. It really ticked me off because I'm serious about learning this stuff and then they're making it like their playing in the ball room at McDonalds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell them to get their heads straight without making me look like a prick? I guess simply telling them to be smarten up is the most commmon way or doing it.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your instructor either has little or no awareness of what's going on on the mat while he's there, or possibly he values the goof-off's money more than he values a quality learning experience. Have you spoken to him/her privately about this?

OP
Jesse

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was going to last night, but thought I would wait and see if he might step it up a notch and do something about it.

If it happens again next time, I'll definately be having a word....

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's one of the main reasons I left my previous school. There was a guy in there who was such an A$$. When we would free fight he would just go crazy and start kicking out of control. He couldn't even see a target (me) he just kicked because I would move out of the way and he would kick right on past me. After class, the guy came up to me and said, "What's wrong Andie, don't you know how to handle chain kicks?" :shrug: I was not pleased. I spoke with my instructor who said he could tell I was upset and that I did the right thing but just getting out of the way. I told my instructor that I did not want to be paired with him again and that he did not make class enjoyable for me but stressful.

Then my instructor paired me with him several more times. So I left. I'm serious about training too and I'm not going to pay to be around someone who makes it unenjoyable. I want to look forward to going to class, not dreading it.

Good luck with your situation! I would also speak with your instructor and I hope they understanding and helpful. :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the instructor should keep students from goofing off. If he lets it go again you will probably have to speak to him about the negative impact it's having on your training. I wonder if your instructor paired you with one of these students hoping the disruptive student would be forced to train more seriously...not the best approach, but possible. Good luck with it. Nothing worse than having your training disrupted by disrespectful students.

T

TheBattousai

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
I wonder if your instructor paired you with one of these students hoping the disruptive student would be forced to train more seriously...not the best approach, but possible.

I'm thinking this approach myself, but it more than likely won't work out. Try in the next week or so discussing it with the instructor and maybe other students to see their perspective. But good luck with it.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before a student even has a class, he is told the rules. The instructor should be monitoring them. We have had goof-offs who are basically being disrespectful of other students and the instructor, being suspended.

Those that are borderllne, are paired with a more serious student so that he will understand that staying to task, not talking, and working hard are what is expected from him from the other student partner as well. If he were my partner, I would give him a warning then if he didn't stop goofing off, go to the instructor in charge. TW

OP
Jesse

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Alright these are all awsome comments,

I think next class I'm going to go to the goof offs (If I am forced to partner up with them) I'll look at them and tell them to grow up. The thing is that some of them are my buddies so I don't want to come out as a jerk.

I'll mention it to the instructor and hopefully I can stay under the radar. Of course if nothing is done, then I'll have to get medival.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know my teenager wouldn't respond well if I told him to "grow up"...that is like waving the red flag in front of the bull. ha hah

Maybe you should just say...hey, I'm serious here and I expect you to be serious too. I know you can do better than that, lets work hard and see what we can get out of this. If they don't respond well to that, then say then why are you here? TW

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Climb the ladder of authority, as needed.

Yes, you're doing the right thing by asking the misbehaving individuals to knock it off. This way, you're giving them a chance to fix it on their own, without having to involve a higher power. Be polite, try not to use anything that could seem insulting. Something as simple as telling them that "Come on, fellows, enough is enough" may very well be "enough."

If that doesn't work, then notify the instructor. It's the instructor's duty to maintain an orderly classroom, and horsing around shouldn't be allowed.

If that doesn't work, then notify the chief instructor. If necessary, bring along others who agree with you. Not too many, since you don't want it to look like you're mobbing your chief instructor.

At this point, you've given everyone an opportunity to fix the problem along the way, and that they have left you with no other recourse. At the very least, the chief instructor will have a talk with the instructor and / or the students, and things *should* be fixed from there.

If the chief instructor is a good one, then he will get to the bottom of the problem, but in general, this is usually a last resort, since you're essentially using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

Give the others along the way, a chance to fix it themselves.

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jesse said:
Alright these are all awsome comments,

I think next class I'm going to go to the goof offs (If I am forced to partner up with them) I'll look at them and tell them to grow up. The thing is that some of them are my buddies so I don't want to come out as a jerk.

I'll mention it to the instructor and hopefully I can stay under the radar. Of course if nothing is done, then I'll have to get medival.

No idea what age group you are dealing with, but by and large people that are messing about are nervous and feel out of their depth. If it is dangerous back off and have a quiet word with the instructor, otherwise best thing to do is keep quiet and train hard. They'll sort themselves out, or someone else (the instructor) will sort them out, or they'll quit...

:asian:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jesse said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell them to get their heads straight without making me look like a prick? I guess simply telling them to be smarten up is the most commmon way or doing it.

Umm yeah, my suggestion is simply telling them straight out that they're not respecting the learning environment that's being given.

Why are YOU worried about looking like a prick in THEIR eyes? Especially if they're the ones who are acting like a bunch of pricks? It's how YOU view YOURSELF that's important. Screw what those goofballs think.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This reminds me, we have a high school kid at my dojang who's been training with us for a while now, and he's really talented. But a lot of the time he plays around, and acts like a dumb ***, and does things to make him the center of attention. He always has the master instructor on his *** berating him for acting like a bung hole during class.

It's such a waste because this 17 year old kid is so talented, and when he does really try and applies himself he shows that he has tremendous MA skills. What a waste and what a desservice he's doing to himself and to the lower ranking students who see this behavior. We try and encourage him to not be such a nimrod but to no avail. I just ignore his antics now, and just train hard-core like I always have since I started. This knucklehead is not ruining my training day... :idunno:

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whenever someone is out of line Sensei will have them go work on there own in another room...on a bag or something...then if they don't do that, they become Sensei's technique partner...Most times thats enough...but of someone is too much of a difficulty...I would just kick them out. And if they wanted to come back, they had to talk to Sensei personally and have a confrence...to see whats up...sometimes students have difficulty leaving personal problems at home...and they just need someone to talk to...and they are fine...I know I've beent here once or twice...

OP
Jesse

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ya well these guys are 21-22 so they know they're being a bunch hooligans.

I'm just going to tell them this isn't your playground, either pay attention and don't mess around behind the instructor's back or get the "bleep" out.

When your at that age you should know alittle better.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nothing says serious up like a good solid punch. Apply the drill or tactic for real and then appologize as you thought they were there to train. Ask for a new partner...repeat as necessary or until trouble maker is unconcious.

In one of the schools I attend, there use to be this guy who was a real brick. Wouldn't listen to the instructor or after the drill or whatever was presented to the class, he would just go and make up his own thing. Finally I brought it to the instructor and I was told that he had been there for some time (years) and that every once in a while we all had "to bite the bullet" and train with the guy as everyone deserved to train there. I thought that sentiment was crap but I didn't want to be rude to the instructor (his school after all). In any event, my money was going to me training, not babysitting for some school owner who couldn't or wouldn't do his job.

The next time I trained with him I applied the technique for real and would stop just short of cleaning his clock (If the thing called for a head shot, I would place my fist against his head and give a solid push). He usually got flustered and asked what my problem was. My response would be that I had no problem and that, unlike him, I was doing the drill. I was soon asked by the instructor to calm down and relax to which I responded that I was there to train and that if he couldn't work with me in the proper maner (as the rest of the class was) he would have to "bite the bullet". The instructor was not happy with me but I was respectful and I didn't intend to hurt anyone.

We all pay something to acquire the training we have (time, talent, or treasure). To have some person who should not be training in a potentially dangerous enviornment, come in and cheapen the experience to the serious student, while endangering himself and training partners, is just a pain in the rump waiting to happen.

The same is also true to the student who takes themselves too seriously to joke and laugh when the situation calls for it. One of my first instructors told me that a person who takes this stuff too seriously is not there to forge themselves, they are there to learn how to hurt people. Budo is about stopping violence not creating more. The person who is too rigid will have no tolerance for the new or unitiated and would possibly do something stupid to get out of training with them. Budo is for everyone but not everyone is for budo...

Two cents...I'd like change please....
Regards,
Walt

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jesse said:
I was at training last night and there was a group of guys that seemed to be goofing off the entire time. Making it really hard to concentrate on the lesson being taught.
Then my instructor told us to switch partners, making me be with one of these clowns. It really ticked me off because I'm serious about learning this stuff and then they're making it like their playing in the ball room at McDonalds.

It is not your responsability that lies on the head of the Instructor. You may want to bare the following in mind, the instructor has to make a living, so that means every now and again he may have to suffer some fools so that he can bnalance the books at the end of the month, sympathise with your instructors dillema and rest assured in the knowledge that fools never learn. These idiots may think they are going to take a good time, the best thing your instructor could do is give them their black belt then see them on their merry way, and when they do get into a confrontation, they will either realise that they should have been learning rather than screwing around, or they will simply say that that the martial arts is crap, f so it is their loss not yurs, suffer the fools my friend because eventually they will suffer themeselves.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
These idiots may think they are going to take a good time, the best thing your instructor could do is give them their black belt then see them on their merry way, and when they do get into a confrontation, they will either realise that they should have been learning rather than screwing around, or they will simply say that that the martial arts is crap, f so it is their loss not yurs, suffer the fools my friend because eventually they will suffer themeselves.

Hopefully, they drop out way before getting to the black belt level... Or at the very least, finally realize and learn soon.

- Ceicei

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The instructor should be on top of these people, not you. I think a comment like "hey, I'm trying to learn here, do you think you could take this a little more seriously?" is the only thing you should have to say. Beyond that, the instructor needs to do his job. If they keep it up, then maybe your skills and focus will have to be put into play during a sparring session to get the point across.

Latest Discussions