How Do You Train?

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
This goes for anyone that practices Taekwondo, both students and instructors. I'm really curious about those of you who have your own schools. I want to know how often do you train, what exactly do you do, this includes anything from exercises to diets. I also thought it'd be cool to give each other some tips in general. I'll go first.

This is a training schedule that I keep, sometimes I make a few adjustments depending on life happening.

Sunday -
Break Day

Monday -
2 hours Taekwondo Class (Kicking, Combos, Jump Rope)

Tuesday -
2 hours Cardio (High Intensity Interval Training on an Elliptical)

Wednesday -
3 hours Taekwondo Class (Kicking, Combos, Breaking, Hoshinsol, Conditioning, Staff)

Thursday -
1 hour Taekwondo Class (Kicking, Combos, Nunchaku) Leg Press, Calf Raises

Friday -
2 hours Taekwondo Class (Sparring/Drills)

Saturday -
1 hour Taekwondo Class (Kicking/Combo Drills) Push/Press Ups, Crunches, and Curls.

I don't know too much about personal training, and I know it doesn't sound like much, but that's pretty much what I can fit in my schedule right now.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since I own the school here goes.

Sunday private training for two hours with wife and three son's
Monday - thursday run the first three classes with my wife and then train for 1 and.5 hours with my fight team, kicking drillls self defense poomsae and all of of one steps and up. Of course these are broking down into segments for each day.
Saturday is a two hour workout with the entire school mainly cardio, alot of runing and exorcises and then we fight point sparring for another hour. Once that is done we do weapon training for those that wish to participate.

Then it starts over again, been like this for the last 7 years except when we are out of town and then my othe BB runs the school

OP
Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you just train with what you've been taught? Also if you rank up, how do you still learn the new things? Do you basically learn your new poomse whenever you visit your instructor or in seminars?

Also I know I forgot to add this, but I'm also curious about diets since they're a huge part of training, if there are anything anyone would suggest or warn. Right now I'm staying away from junk food and eating plenty of green vegetables and lean meat, but mostly chicken. Breakfast is usually hard because I get sick of oatmeal every morning. Not to mention that I rarely have enough time to cook anything before I go off to work. So if there's something quick and nutritious, I'd definitely like to hear about it.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Foodwise I've been working on that as well Bumblebee.
I've been doing Grapenuts for breakfast with some fruit if I remember, because oatmeal got sick of me too ;p heh. Water consumption about 5-6 liters per day at least, I'm kind of a water junkie. Though after a good workout I'll take some Gatorade to make sure the electrolytes are all there (salts minerals etc).

I've almost completely cut out junk food, with an occasional bit around holidays, same with sodas. I actually feel somewhat ill if I eat a MC/BK meal, it's probably all of the grease though.

Fruits and vegetables are great for you though, they didn't lie to use back in school hehe.

My meat of choice lately though is fish, but it's a rotation of fish, chicken and beef usually. I find the main thing there is portion control. The local warehouse store has bags of Mahi Mahi and Salmon that I tend to get, good portion sizes and it makes it easy to stick with. Dolphin/Mahi is one of my favorite fish (not to be confused with Flipper, it's a FISH species heh).

As far as seminars, I take every opportunity that I can to do so. At our next tournament, an 8th dan Master will be there, and yes, I'll be breaking a sweat and saying Sir yes Sir! While you can learn from _anyone_... obvious sources are those Masters with 10-30 years more experience than you etc. Sometimes it's the smallest thing you take from it, sometimes it's huge, but I don't think I've ever left that kind of training empty handed.

Other than that, my instructor and my video camera are the best tools.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you just train with what you've been taught? Also if you rank up, how do you still learn the new things? Do you basically learn your new poomse whenever you visit your instructor or in seminars?

Also I know I forgot to add this, but I'm also curious about diets since they're a huge part of training, if there are anything anyone would suggest or warn. Right now I'm staying away from junk food and eating plenty of green vegetables and lean meat, but mostly chicken. Breakfast is usually hard because I get sick of oatmeal every morning. Not to mention that I rarely have enough time to cook anything before I go off to work. So if there's something quick and nutritious, I'd definitely like to hear about it.

To answer your question I do mainly 10-14 seminar a year and I also visit my GM and train with him when it is available. My diet sucks, medication and stuff get in the way of loosing those extra pounds. Banana's and fruit mainly in the am and salad and veggies in the afternoon. Dinner is either fish or chicken with steam veggies or brown rice. Rice cakes in between snacks or yogurt.

OP
Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the dietary info. I was looking for something that I could whip up fast and for some reason I only thought of the sugary crap cereal like Frosted Flakes. I forgot there are some healthy cereals from Kashi and Grape Nuts. I'll try that out. The fruit in the morning sounds good too, but it usually doesn't feel like it has the calories to make me not hungry, opposed to being full. I'll try a combination of fruit and cereal. I'll just have to worry about time. Maybe I should wake up at 4:30 opposed to 5?

Thanks, I was thinking about my Grandmaster who both my instructor and I believe he's going to be testing for his 9th dan soon. I wasn't sure how he would be learning new things. I thought seminars and visits to the Kukkiwon. Those of you that are instructors, do you ever find it hard to push yourselves? I know that I personally like having someone yelling at me to push harder. How do you stay motivated, without a coach?

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Competition for me. And I video tape myself to make my errors more glaring (I can't brush them off if they're staring me in the face heh).

I still do have my instructor, but our level is different, we've both trained together for 20+ years and it's more coaching back and forth. Like an outside set of eyes if that makes sense? Though I'm sure it would be different if he was more along the lines of a 40 year type etc, but we'll both get there some day :).

Some GM's will actually go and get those DVD sets we see out there to simply spark new ideas etc. Then they have jobs like curriculum etc. I was talking with GM Pierce of HTF last night as I drove back from practice and we were talking about his organizations curriculum, how he was re-organizing it and putting it into final written form etc. There's a whole other side of the coin for those KJN's that us 'regular' folk don't deal with heh. But, I suppose that comes with the territory.

Then he called me a dipstick, and invited me to his nationals hehe.

OP
Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Competition for me. And I video tape myself to make my errors more glaring (I can't brush them off if they're staring me in the face heh).

I still do have my instructor, but our level is different, we've both trained together for 20+ years and it's more coaching back and forth. Like an outside set of eyes if that makes sense? Though I'm sure it would be different if he was more along the lines of a 40 year type etc, but we'll both get there some day :).

Some GM's will actually go and get those DVD sets we see out there to simply spark new ideas etc. Then they have jobs like curriculum etc. I was talking with GM Pierce of HTF last night as I drove back from practice and we were talking about his organizations curriculum, how he was re-organizing it and putting it into final written form etc. There's a whole other side of the coin for those KJN's that us 'regular' folk don't deal with heh. But, I suppose that comes with the territory.

Then he called me a dipstick, and invited me to his nationals hehe.
That makes perfect sense. My current instructor is like that with me. He's four years younger than I am, but we're still close enough in age where we get competitive of one another. He's a third dan and I'm only a fifth gup and we ocassionally spar because we usually don't have anyone else to spar with unless we visit our Grandmaster's son's studio. We also coach each other by telling each other what we see that the other doesn't. I know, I'm only a fifth gup, but I only point out what I'm sure is a mistake.

Latest Discussions