Worried about my progress

conini

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm new in this forum, this is actually my 2nd post.

So i'm 22 years old, and a white belt in Taekwondo, i started like a month ago, when i was in winter break from university (yes, it's winter here in Chile).
Everything was good, i enjoy the classes a lot, but a couple of weeks ago i went back to school and my schedule is pretty much a mess. Some days i have to get up at 5 am to go to the class of 8:30 am because i live in a small city about an hour and a half from my university.
And with all the work i have, sometimes i come back home like 7 pm.
My Taekwondo classes are Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8 pm in a city that is like 30 minutes away from where i live, but sometimes i come back home and i still gotta do homework and stuff for university :(
So the last week i couldn't go to my dojang and felt bad about it.
I'm worried 'cause i don't wanna stop my Taekwondo training, i enjoy it so much... but at the same time i gotta be responsible with school.
Any advices? Should i worry because i'm not training every week? Please help me :(

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Priorities are pretty simple here... Your education really needs to come first.
That being said, you need to just accept that you're not going to be able to train as much as some others, and likely won't advance at the same rate as someone who is able to train more often.

So what? Despite what some think, getting another belt is really not the purpose of TKD training.

Train when you can, as hard as you can. When you have more time to spend on TKD, then do so.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite movie said your belt is just to hold up your pants. To be a martial artist you need to be able to defend yourself that means provide for your self, education, cook, fix your car, love your family. You can have the highest rank fastest feet and hands in the world but cannot provide for yourself or get along with others you will be truly defenseless.If you will look at training as to be for the rest of your life then what ever you do the best you can you will be strong and happy

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can talk to your instructor and work some kind of agreement, might work might not

Like what was said earlier train when possible

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, train when possible and - as Dirty Dog mentioned - your education should be your main priority...I had a similar issue when I started TKD training a month before I started my 'going back to school adventure'..Thankfully, my dojang offers a variety of classes in the afternoon and evening but still, with work, school and homework - I was limited to 4 - 5 lessons a week compared to the 11 - 12 I do now..
My best advice is not to stress about it - instead find a way to train consistently in a way that won't interfere with your schoolwork..You mentioned you started classes a couple weeks ago..what I did that helped tremendously is set aside at least an hour each week night to study and then on the weekend, it didn't seem so overwhelming.. Also - as others have mentioned in a variety of ways - the belt is the bi-product of the work you do..just do your best and enjoy the journey! :) (side note - of the many benefits of TKD - the discipline greatly influenced my schoolwork enabling me to graduate with honors! :) )

OP
conini

conini

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advices, it helps me a lot, believe me :)
I'm gonna try to go 2 days a week, like the days i don't have too many classes. The issue i have with me missing the taekwondo classes is the fact that i have Social Anxiety and Depression and training has helped me big time with those things... that's another reason why i feel down when i can't train

(side note - of the many benefits of TKD - the discipline greatly influenced my schoolwork enabling me to graduate with honors! :) )

That's amazing!!!! Congratulations! I wish i could say i'm a good student, but at least i'm working on getting better grades :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like everyone said, education first.

Stay flexible, though. You can do some studying every night like this.

2eoyvjl.jpg

Get a pillow for your head, any study material right beside you. Then go into a split position..

acszrt.jpg

You can't stay there too long. (maybe ten minutes) But if you have hours of studying you can do it a couple times a night while you study in that position. Gravity does the work for you. Your legs will fall asleep quickly, though, you'll have to use your hands to get them down. And you will be incapable of walking for a minute or so, so keep that in mind.

Best of luck, Connie. Keep it up!

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
The issue i have with me missing the taekwondo classes is the fact that i have Social Anxiety and Depression and training has helped me big time with those things... that's another reason why i feel down when i can't train

As everyone else has said, put your education first. Realistically, you only get one chance at that while you get as many chances as you want to train in martial arts. I've just joined at club at 40. My instructor told me he knew of a guy that trained for the very first time after he'd retired, and got bored with nothing to do.

I'm not saying wait that long, my point is that you'll have time in the future to give greater priority to martial arts, if that's what you want. I bet your instructor wouldn't mind if you only went once a week, or at exam times and such, didn't turn up at all. Sure, you might not progress through the grades as quickly as someone that can devote half their waking hours to training, but so what? If belt colour is all that matters, just buy a nice colourful belt (but not for in class obviously). I doubt very much that belt colour is what matters to you though, so just do what works for you.

And as for the social anxiety thing, I get that. You need to be careful not to put too much pressure on yourself. That means not allowing yourself to worry that you're not training enough. You say you're 22 and at uni, so I'm guessing your in your final year of a degree or just beginning a masters? Either will take a huge amount of time and mental energy. Some people cave under the pressure of that alone. You're already doing well by keeping up with that. Finding time to train in martial arts is even more of an achievement, so don't be thinking you're not doing enough.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's amazing!!!! Congratulations! I wish i could say i'm a good student, but at least i'm working on getting better grades :)

It's a bit over the top to say training makes you smarter, but it certainly can help your ability to make most of your brain.
When I first started, the first form seemed insurmountable, and I had watched it for a couple of month up until that point. But every new form became easier even though more complex than the previous one.

You can maximise your practice though, by working at home. Maybe you can video yourself and take the footage back to your instructor for some feedback.
Remember: perfect practice makes perfect! ;)

You can also add some cross training to your regiment, some jogging etc, or light weight lifting.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you cant make it to the dojang, you can still practice. You can work on techniques or practice forms at home. If you are struggling with something at home, there are youtube channels that can be a good supplemental tool (Ginger Ninja Trickster is my favorite).

Whether you're done with your homework and its too late to go to class or you just need a 5 minute break, go ahead and practice at home.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyones martial arts journey is at a different pace. Concentrate on your education and enjoy training when you can.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
College should come first, but have you checked to see if there's a TKD program in the same town as your college, or one you pass on your way home? That would make it easier to continue your training.

OP
conini

conini

White Belt
Reaction score
If you cant make it to the dojang, you can still practice. You can work on techniques or practice forms at home. If you are struggling with something at home, there are youtube channels that can be a good supplemental tool (Ginger Ninja Trickster is my favorite).

Whether you're done with your homework and its too late to go to class or you just need a 5 minute break, go ahead and practice at home.

I'm actually doing that! When i have some free time i do abs and legs workout, i also try to work on my flexibility with some stretching excercises. GNT is my fav too!! :D Youtube videos are really helpful in that aspect so yeah, i try to do that while i find some time to organize with homework and schedule.

Thanks again to everyone! I feel a lot better after reading your advices :) I knew this forum was a good place to get feedback, advice and help!

OP
conini

conini

White Belt
Reaction score
College should come first, but have you checked to see if there's a TKD program in the same town as your college, or one you pass on your way home? That would make it easier to continue your training.

The dojang i go to is the only one i like in terms of instructor, location and style. There's one that's like 10 minutes away from my house but i went there a couple of times and didn't like the classes :(

OP
conini

conini

White Belt
Reaction score
Like everyone said, education first.

Stay flexible, though. You can do some studying every night like this.

2eoyvjl.jpg

Get a pillow for your head, any study material right beside you. Then go into a split position..

acszrt.jpg

You can't stay there too long. (maybe ten minutes) But if you have hours of studying you can do it a couple times a night while you study in that position. Gravity does the work for you. Your legs will fall asleep quickly, though, you'll have to use your hands to get them down. And you will be incapable of walking for a minute or so, so keep that in mind.

Best of luck, Connie. Keep it up!

Great advice!! I actually do stretching excercises everyday, it's relaxing and i really enjoy it. Didn't know those excercises from the pictures you posted, i'm gonna have to try them while i study!
Thanks a lot :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a bit over the top to say training makes you smarter, but it certainly can help your ability to make most of your brain.
When I first started, the first form seemed insurmountable, and I had watched it for a couple of month up until that point. But every new form became easier even though more complex than the previous one.

You can maximise your practice though, by working at home. Maybe you can video yourself and take the footage back to your instructor for some feedback.
Remember: perfect practice makes perfect! ;)

You can also add some cross training to your regiment, some jogging etc, or light weight lifting.

Probably would not make you smarter as we generally use that term. But it will improve your memory as you begin to commit more and more of your martial art to long term memory.

Everyones martial arts journey is at a different pace. Concentrate on your education and enjoy training when you can.

That is very important to understand. When you begin your first martial art, or start to cross train in another that is very different (don't plan on that for a long time), you will run across those students who are just naturally athletic and able to learn very, very easily. They can be quite a blow to one's ego. Also don't mistake someone who has been there longer than you with one of those very athletic individuals. They started out just like you, feeling very inferior, but stayed with it, so they learned eventually. So will you if you stay with it.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...you will run across those students who are just naturally athletic and able to learn very, very easily. They can be quite a blow to one's ego.

I saw a candid camera show once where a person took a free dance class for beginners, and all the other students were actually professional dancerss. So the class starts easy enough, and the teacher just introduces more and more moves, and of course everyone except the "mark" picks everything up easily and looks great! It was funny - wish I could find it on youtube.

Yes, TKD is like anything else, practice + aptitude = skill. If you lack one, you'll more of the other.

Latest Discussions