'Honour' Babies

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You beat me to it Flea. The celebicy of preists can be traced directly back to inheritance of property. Preists take 3 basic vows at ordination, poverty, celebicy, and obediance. The first 2 relate directly to the old practice of donating your property to the church when you join the ecclesiatical community. The second is just about the hierarchy of power and authority.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
a lot of them have this celibate until marriage thing but its mostly for women though. I hadthis weird afgahnistani guy add me to msn (dunno how he got mine) and then start asking me if I was a virgin. said its important that women be virgins and he wanted a virgin. Obviously I blocked the ******.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a lot of them have this celibate until marriage thing but its mostly for women though. I hadthis weird afgahnistani guy add me to msn (dunno how he got mine) and then start asking me if I was a virgin. said its important that women be virgins and he wanted a virgin. Obviously I blocked the ******.

....you never answered the question.....:)

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In times gone by I can understand the 'virginity issue' perhaps being of more importance than nowadays due to wishing to ensure that any children are the product of the fathers 'line' (I know it's a flawed idea but I'm typing fast here :D).

In the present era, for me at least, speaking as a man, it is immensely flattering to be chosen to be a woman's 'first - where the honour is in demanding that is lost to me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the honour killing cases etc the woman is property and the property is devalued if not a virgin on marriage. The father and brothers etc feel insulted if their property has the audacity to want to do things for herself whereas she is supposed to be obedient, the obedience makes her more valuable when married off.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's more about male dominance than female sexuality per se. It becomes an issue of female sexuality because if the woman is allowed to choose these things for herself it undermines part of the strict male control of a patriarchal hierarchy. And in any situation of dominance any break with nominally acceptable standards of behavior is going to be blamed on those dominated, not the other way around. It's about power.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You beat me to it Flea. The celebicy of preists can be traced directly back to inheritance of property. Preists take 3 basic vows at ordination, poverty, celebicy, and obediance. The first 2 relate directly to the old practice of donating your property to the church when you join the ecclesiatical community. The second is just about the hierarchy of power and authority.
Although priests were not celibate from the get go. The inheritance issue was a large part of it, but it was also helped along by a lot of public outcry over priests' (sexual) misuse of their position of power.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although priests were not celibate from the get go. The inheritance issue was a large part of it, but it was also helped along by a lot of public outcry over priests' (sexual) misuse of their position of power.

In the dark ages, being a priest, bishop or archbishop was a job you'd kill for, and the people who aspired to get it would do so. You'd have power over life and death, live a decadent lifestyle if you wanted, and be as corrupt as you wanted. Or alternatively, you could be as extremist as you wanted. Always providing you did not interfere with the hierarchy above you.

Most of those things could be probably be explained away / justified at the time except perhaps the significant number of bastard children and violated women. Hence the celibacy.

As to how women are treated under catholicism: Up until quite recently Ireland had Magdalene asylums where women were put for being pregnant, too good looking, too smart mouthed, or basically anything. Sometime ago there was a movie made about it, which was strongly criticised by the Catholic church.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_Asylum