Honorary Black Belt certifications and wording on them. Need suggsetions

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone in coming up with my own honorary black belt certifications, I would like some suggestions on appropriate wording for such a certification. And the honorary black belt certificates will be handed out two mayors, two chief of police, and the two directors of where I work out of with the classes. So looking for professional wording for the certificates.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions
Aaron

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly -- I would avoid giving them honorary black belts. Give them certificates of appreciation or similar commendations; it still gives them something for their wall, but avoids the whole "honorary black belt" crap. I'm rather confident that they won't care...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree with JKS. A certificate of appreciation sends the same message without any implication of actual training.
Another point: As a 2nd Dan, should you be giving out blackbelts of any kind?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
was going to comment, then realized two people already expressed my sentiments and..commented anyway? But I really believe that something else would be better. Have they trained for the black belt at all? Cause if not, I dont see it as a certificate they need/deserve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to echo the sentiments already expressed. I am not a fan of handing out Honorary Black Belts unless it's to a student with special needs who has worked their butt off to reach an exceptional level of performance for them and who can perform reasonably well.

Perhaps a Certificate of Special Recognition?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honorary Black Belts. My sides just exploded with laughter. Don't degrade what the rest of us work hard to acheive to make some little point about someone you appreciate. A black belt is more than a prize, and obviously you know that because you are giving one away as a high honor, but to give it away undercuts everything it stands for.

A couple Honorary Black Belts

1324342670.png
AC_Pup_gets_belted.jpg

Yes, that is a 4 year old and a friggin dog wearing black belts.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carefull Omar, am sure you could handle the pink socked four year old, but that dog looks like he could get some serious licks in!!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hehe, I don't know why but that dog with the belt just cracks me up

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, they also do a great job of devaluing what many/most of us worked for our whole lives. I'm so glad Seido doesn't give away honorary anything, I'm glad I was left at brown belt from 12 till 16 when I was old enough to earn the rank. My black belt means something, Their's means as much as a fart in the wind.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree Omar. However, universities or institutions from time to time give out honoury diplomas or even doctorates to patrons, politicians and sometimes in my mind undeserving persons (sorry, already said politicians) for things they may or may not have done. Perhaps as noted above, a "BB" Certificate in recognition of promoting the style/sport in the community or whatevevr may be ok and probably very appreciated. I do think the belt idea itself is more problematic. And as an aside I never understood why kids could get to green, brown or black belt so fast, ie before 12 even! You are right that it is in contrast to the years of hard work many have put in for such recognition (although, as discussed on other posts, a belt or belt colour alone means little to me - although, on reflection, maybe that is partly because of all the kids running around with browns/BBs these days and the myriads of BBs and even dans I have come across who couldn't fight their way out of a soggy paper bag, with perforations). It is odd when the woman you work with says, "oh yeah, Sussie (11) has a BB also" and smiles like you're all in the same club. But hey, who really cares I guess.

Oh, DCSMA, sorry for getting kind of off-piste here and not providing any answer for you as to wording etc.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey everyone in coming up with my own honorary black belt certifications, I would like some suggestions on appropriate wording for such a certification. And the honorary black belt certificates will be handed out two mayors, two chief of police, and the two directors of where I work out of with the classes. So looking for professional wording for the certificates.
Just make sure that the word "HONORARY" is clearly visible and part of the title.

Might read something like:
In appreciation for civil and social services to the community, ____________ is granted this certificate as an Honorary Black Belt with the grateful thanks of this community.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't degrade what the rest of us work hard to acheive to make some little point about someone you appreciate.
Well, first, "Black Belt" is already so degraded by self-promoted charlatans, Hollywood misunderstandings, and Six Sigma crap that I doubt it makes any difference any longer. Second off, "Honorary Black Belt" carries exactly the same social weight as being awarded an "Honorary Doctorate" from a university. Anyone who has the "honorary" word in front of the title... well, you know how that ends.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, they also do a great job of devaluing what many/most of us worked for our whole lives. I'm so glad Seido doesn't give away honorary anything, I'm glad I was left at brown belt from 12 till 16 when I was old enough to earn the rank. My black belt means something, Their's means as much as a fart in the wind.
I worked hard for my ranks too. Should I put on my black belt and come stand on the mat in your Seido class? My ranks mean nothing outside of the systems that I study. If you put on your Seido black belt and came on the mat in the Judo club where I study or, Heaven forfend, in my Western Martial Arts club, you would be viewed with amusement at best and as a challenger at worst. I suspect the same would hold true if I walked on your mat that way, right?

Ranks mean nothing outside of your own system and even less than nothing when they have the word "honorary" tacked to the front.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree Omar. However, universities or institutions from time to time give out honoury diplomas or even doctorates to patrons, politicians and sometimes in my mind undeserving persons (sorry, already said politicians) for things they may or may not have done. Perhaps as noted above, a "BB" Certificate in recognition of promoting the style/sport in the community or whatevevr may be ok and probably very appreciated.
<nods>

I do think the belt idea itself is more problematic. And as an aside I never understood why kids could get to green, brown or black belt so fast, ie before 12 even! You are right that it is in contrast to the years of hard work many have put in for such recognition (although, as discussed on other posts, a belt or belt colour alone means little to me - although, on reflection, maybe that is partly because of all the kids running around with browns/BBs these days and the myriads of BBs and even dans I have come across who couldn't fight their way out of a soggy paper bag, with perforations).
If they can hang with others of the same rank, then they deserve the rank, regardless of age. If a 12 year old kid can hold his own against green belts, black belts, or camo belts (groan), then he clearly has earned the rank.

It is odd when the woman you work with says, "oh yeah, Sussie (11) has a BB also" and smiles like you're all in the same club. But hey, who really cares I guess.
My point exactly. No need to worry about the value or import of the rank being degraded in the conception of the general public. We're about 40 years too late to be concerned with that. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
<nods>

If they can hang with others of the same rank, then they deserve the rank, regardless of age. If a 12 year old kid can hold his own against green belts, black belts, or camo belts (groan), then he clearly has earned the rank.

Kirk
Good point. Genuinely few of those about however, but you are right, there are those youngsters about who are genuinely tallented and who put a lot of out-of-class training in....now where can I get one of those camo belts from, I wonder how they'd look with a purple tassle on the end?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, first, "Black Belt" is already so degraded by self-promoted charlatans, Hollywood misunderstandings, and Six Sigma crap that I doubt it makes any difference any longer. Second off, "Honorary Black Belt" carries exactly the same social weight as being awarded an "Honorary Doctorate" from a university. Anyone who has the "honorary" word in front of the title... well, you know how that ends.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Yes, so we must add to it by just handing them out willy nilly, got it.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I worked hard for my ranks too. Should I put on my black belt and come stand on the mat in your Seido class? My ranks mean nothing outside of the systems that I study. If you put on your Seido black belt and came on the mat in the Judo club where I study or, Heaven forfend, in my Western Martial Arts club, you would be viewed with amusement at best and as a challenger at worst. I suspect the same would hold true if I walked on your mat that way, right?

Ranks mean nothing outside of your own system and even less than nothing when they have the word "honorary" tacked to the front.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Except that a recognized real rank means something. Sure my belt in a judo club means nothing ... except that I have the intestinal fortitude, drive and skill to earn it. Unlike the honorary ones.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mas Oyama gave Sean Connery an honorary black belt

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honorary Black Belts. My sides just exploded with laughter. Don't degrade what the rest of us work hard to acheive to make some little point about someone you appreciate. A black belt is more than a prize, and obviously you know that because you are giving one away as a high honor, but to give it away undercuts everything it stands for.

AGREED. The belt is a bi-product of the work. If they haven't done the work - find another way to 'honor' them.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Thanks for everyone's suggestions
Aaron

My primary question is: why do you want to award honorary black belts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions