Hi from Sherman Self Defense! ^_~

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sherman does seem to comprehend that being on the streets is the tangible aspect. What he does not understand is that some of us are subjected to violence at a young age, we absorb ourselves in a different reality, but it is still parallel. He proclaims that his mate is a Street Fighter in the context of MA or what ever else. No, there is street, but that does not mean Hollywood or whatever YouTube vid tries to be substantiated. No, street is just awareness, absorb the streets, know what is what and what is not. Any MA practitioner whom gets a bit cocky, has probably tried it and failed. Sherman neglected to think that perhaps a drain pipe may have been in play, or the humble ash tray that could kill. I am deeply disturbed about his motives. No, street just means that you take in your surrounding, you rely on your instincts, you hark back to your skill set, your brain accelerates, and you become chilled. Now you are in tune. It is that simple. You see everything then. In a heart beat yes or no.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sherman does seem to comprehend that being on the streets is the tangible aspect. What he does not understand is that some of us are subjected to violence at a young age, we absorb ourselves in a different reality, but it is still parallel. He proclaims that his mate is a Street Fighter in the context of MA or what ever else. No, there is street, but that does not mean Hollywood or whatever `YouTube vid tries to be substantiated. No, street is just awareness, absorb the streets, know what is what and what is not. Any MA practitioner whom gets a bit cocky, has probably tried it and failed. Sherman neglected to think that perhaps a drain pipe may have been in play, or the humble ash tray that could kill. I am deeply disturbed about his motives. No, street just means that you take in your surrounding, you rely on your instincts, you hark back to your skill set, your brain accelerates, and you become chilled. Now you are in tune. It is that simple. You see everything then. In a heart beat yes or no.

i agree with what you've said about being from and of the street - it's all about your primeval sense of awareness, like you said you absorb everything and look upon things that wouldn't ordinarily be there with a touch of curiosity as well as tightening your muscles cos whatever it is in not right and doesn't belong.

shermans views don't take any of this instinct into account - there are many things that are available to anyone who ends up in a street scrap - i've seen trash cans being used, bricks, glass bottles, ashtrays now that smoking has been banished outside :( there's all sorts of stuff with which to defend yourself and sherman completely misses the point.

when i moved here i took days just looking around seeing where things were and what could/might be used in a scrap --- this place although quiet is where everyone that has done really really bad things came to cos it's out of the way and no cop ever bothers with it :)

sherman fails to tell us that we all need to do our homework - work out what's where, work out where the likely escape routes are and aren't and then you begin to become attuned to the street cos until you have a full understanding of how the street works chances are it'll work against you. if you take time to analyse your street you'll see the little things, next doors cat has a favourite way of crossing the street, the kids from down the road playing on their bikes, where cars are parked, the gardens with trees to privde privacy for the owners, the way the phone cables are laid out, where the street lighting is and how much light they shed onto the ground and where --- these things although they might seem a bit OTT all help in understanding the street. you can never have too much detail this is when you learn to chill out and relax cos you are now part of the fixtures and fittings of your street.

ME - EDUCATED ON THE STREET AND GRADUATED FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF LIFE :) unlike sherman - using the stuff he's posted i'd probably have been dead many years ago............

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i agree with what you've said about being from and of the street - it's all about your primeval sense of awareness, like you said you absorb everything and look upon things that wouldn't ordinarily be there with a touch of curiosity as well as tightening your muscles cos whatever it is in not right and doesn't belong.

shermans views don't take any of this instinct into account - there are many things that are available to anyone who ends up in a street scrap - i've seen trash cans being used, bricks, glass bottles, ashtrays now that smoking has been banished outside :( there's all sorts of stuff with which to defend yourself and sherman completely misses the point.

when i moved here i took days just looking around seeing where things were and what could/might be used in a scrap --- this place although quiet is where everyone that has done really really bad things came to cos it's out of the way and no cop ever bothers with it :)

sherman fails to tell us that we all need to do our homework - work out what's where, work out where the likely escape routes are and aren't and then you begin to become attuned to the street cos until you have a full understanding of how the street works chances are it'll work against you. if you take time to analyse your street you'll see the little things, next doors cat has a favourite way of crossing the street, the kids from down the road playing on their bikes, where cars are parked, the gardens with trees to privde privacy for the owners, the way the phone cables are laid out, where the street lighting is and how much light they shed onto the ground and where --- these things although they might seem a bit OTT all help in understanding the street. you can never have too much detail this is when you learn to chill out and relax cos you are now part of the fixtures and fittings of your street.

ME - EDUCATED ON THE STREET AND GRADUATED FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF LIFE :) unlike sherman - using the stuff he's posted i'd probably have been dead many years ago............

Yes, +1 if I could. That is on the button Donna. Sherman is a charlatan of sorts. I am not qualified to question his MA, but he has no business talking about the streets. For example, part of my early years was adjacent to HMP Chelmsford, and a traveller family next door. Sherman is the actor!!!!!!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sherman is a young man, seems like a nice young man, too. He's doing the same thing we are all doing, Martial Arts. I think we all do the best we can with whatever we have to work with.

It was a nice thing, probably a brave thing, to post his video and let everyone have at it. But he did ask for feedback. Not much of a chance that he won't get any here!

Keep on training, Sherman. Keep on rocking, bro. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sherman is a young man, seems like a nice young man, too. He's doing the same thing we are all doing, Martial Arts. I think we all do the best we can with whatever we have to work with.

It was a nice thing, probably a brave thing, to post his video and let everyone have at it. But he did ask for feedback. Not much of a chance that he won't get any here!

Yeah cool :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, when I was a young man with less skill and experience than Sherman has now, I was enthusiastically trying to share what I thought I knew about martial arts with my friends who knew even less. The difference is that I didn't have YouTube in those days to broadcast my well-intentioned goofiness to the world. There but for the grace of technological progress go I ...

Latest Discussions