Have you ever considered quitting your MA(s)?

Do you ever consider quitting your MA(s)?

• Never

• Rarely

• Once in a while

• Periodically / irregularly

• Regularly

• Have quit / came back

• Have quit / still out

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Had to pick 'other'. I've never wanted to, or officially quit... but there were some years where I wasn't actively training. I let work, life, and sometimes injury get in the way for a while before rededicating myself. Never wanted to quit... just didn't always choose the right priorities.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't understand this talk about quitting. I also don't understand how a thread almost 14 years old got resurrected. If a thread can take a long leave of absence, only to return, I suppose one's training can, too. Like others here, I had a very long hiatus from real training and instruction. But even after 20+ years, I never considered myself having quit. I could still feel MA within me. It may have been semi-dormant only emerging on leap years, but never abandoned.
Besides, how could I quit MA? One quits an activity. But karate was never an activity for me. From early on (1970 as a new black belt,) karate was a place - a refuge, a home away from home, a fulfillment of spirit, a lifestyle, a family. How does one quit that??

Over the past few years, now that I'm fully engaged in it again, it has evolved as a primal urge. Quitting will happen only when I die in 10 or 15 years, if I'm lucky -- goin' on 70, now. Now, I know this is not true for everyone. For many (even on this forum), MA is just a great activity with lots of benefits. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps some other pursuit has captured their soul.

This thread is nearly 14 years old. I was on the forum when it started. I began traditional martial arts back in the mid 70s. And at one point I did stop practicing for about 15 years. Life happens. When it comes to quitting, "never" is a long time.
No, I have never thought of quitting. It has given me too much, and continues to give. I'm a lucky SOB. I think a few of you out there are, too.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah cool thread idea, even though an old one!

My first style I trained for a couple of years and grew disillusioned with it and didn't feel it had the depth I was looking for. Left and found that after a couple of years that the MA bug was burning inside me... so I looked around and the next club I was with for almost a decade. After much self reflection, and constantly considering leaving for the last year or two here, I finally bit the bullet.

Both times I quit were both times of honesty, strength and honouring where my heart was leading me. I almost can't believe the trajectory of the last few years, never realising just how incredible training can be, how it's alot deeper than I realised, and that its lessons go far beyond just kicking and punching. Still looking for a new style, but training solo the last couple of years and also the last year with a like minded group, I've learned so much more than before, and how much karate and training means to me.

My continued pursuit is informed by a much larger context and meaning now... and it's this that drives me. Sure there are days when energy is low and training is difficult, but I can't see myself quitting this amazing journey.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah cool thread idea, even though an old one!

My first style I trained for a couple of years and grew disillusioned with it and didn't feel it had the depth I was looking for. Left and found that after a couple of years that the MA bug was burning inside me... so I looked around and the next club I was with for almost a decade. After much self reflection, and constantly considering leaving for the last year or two here, I finally bit the bullet...
There's quitting, and then there's moving on.

Moving on to a new club or to explore a different art isn't quitting. Like they always say, life's a journey, not a destination. Practicing MA is like that too.

BTW I personally have been with the same core art a long time, but that isn't everybody's journey. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA training has to do with your health. Your health has to do with how long you will live. To quite MA is like to decide that you no longer want to live.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quit?

Yeah, I imagine I'll quit tomorrow. Or maybe not. :)

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
But no, never considered quitting. I don't enter any schools and haven't since my late 30's. Trained in many arts, left many schools...but stopping, nope.

But I would still like to know what happened to all of the polite members...quess I will never know.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've moved on from some of the arts I used to train, but I've taken up others in their place. I've had a few times where I couldn't make it to official classes for an extended period (most recently the pandemic had me off the mats for a full year). However even when I wasn't attending a regular dojo, I was always doing something to continue my training.

Next month will mark my 40th anniversary of training in the martial arts. Now that my wife and I are vaccinated, I'm back to 12+ hours per week of physical training. (That doesn't include the supplemental time watching video, reading manuals, etc.) I'm still as motivated and in love with training as I ever was. I just don't see wanting to quit any time in the foreseeable future.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never quit training TKD but I have suspended it for different reasons.
In my competition years I trained 6 days/week 4-5 hours/day, while working full time. So much of my TKD was put on hold. Technically I could argue I was still training TKD but high level WT competition is it’s own animal.
I also had a 15 year stint where I could not train due injuries from a head on collision. But I was active in the business side of our schools as much as possibly.
It has been quite a ride.
I hope this answers your question.