Have you ever considered quitting your MA(s)?

Do you ever consider quitting your MA(s)?

• Never

• Rarely

• Once in a while

• Periodically / irregularly

• Regularly

• Have quit / came back

• Have quit / still out

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever considered quitting the MA(s) you practice? If so, why? If not, what keeps you motivated?

I'll start: I've never considered quitting, although there've been days (sometimes weeks) where I just really wasn't motivated to attend class, tournaments, or other events - but quit? Never.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never considered quitting my training and practice, but there have been imes I have considered quitting instructing. I am motivated by my students and My Wife.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. Staying versatile has kept my interest over the years: training, teaching, promoting seminars, and owning and operating our school.
When I no longer enjoy it I will move on to something else but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
There was an aspect of my training that frustrated me at one time but I realized it was more the politics of an organization I was with and not the art itself. As I thought about it I realized quitting would only hurt me.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you ever considered quitting the MA(s) you practice? If so, why? If not, what keeps you motivated?

I'll start: I've never considered quitting, although there've been days (sometimes weeks) where I just really wasn't motivated to attend class, tournaments, or other events - but quit? Never.

I'm with you. The thought has never entered my head, until you asked this question, that is. It just seems so alien an idea. MAs is part of me now, quiting would be like cutting off my arm.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've thought about it occasionally, but I've never been able to do it. I'll stop for about a 2 weeks and then I'm itching to get back to it. I can't imagine not doing it, like Steel Tiger said, it would be like cutting off my arm.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stopped training for a fre months to work on my marriage. The Ex wanted to spend that time together. So we did. She did not like it as she found she had begun to have plans made around my training schedule (* couple of times a week *) to hang with her Mom or Friends.

One Sunday I asked her what we were going to do with "Our Time", she just looked at me and said, "Are you not going to be late for class?" By the time she said going I was half down the stairs to the basement and grabbing my bag of equipment. I was out the door yelling "Bye" ASAP.

I voted "Other"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

No, I have never considered quitting and I don't plan on quitting anytime soon. :) Sure, there have been days when I was feeling tired, and thought about not going to class, but I went anyway. Amazing how once you walk in the door, you get a refreshed feeling and end up having a fantastic workout!:ultracool

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Things I take up seriously, I never quit. TKD is one of them. Like calligraphy, weightlifting, certain interests in the physical sciences, and my own field, they basically define (to a goodly extent anyway) `who I am'. So quitting them isn't really an option!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have discussed taking a hiatus from martial ars now and again due to stagnation and other issues, but as my wife can attest to the disscussion usually doesn't get past the second glass of iced tea at dinner before I recant.

I have thought about it on occasion, but haven't yet and don't foresee it ever happening.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I selected Once in a While; although, in reality, there was only one protracted period of time when I wanted to quit or at least change schools. That was during a period that I have heard others describe as the "brown belt blues." About midway through my time as a brown belt, by which time I had nine years or so with my school, I wanted to throw in the obi. I felt stuck, like I wasn't progressing. I took a summer off training, rather than quit, and slowly the motivation to train returned. I was still working on the club website and in touch with everybody, so it wasn't like I dropped off the face of the earth.

Before long I was awarded my red belt, which denotes a black belt candidate, then my desire to train intensively returned. It's been over a year and a half since my first dan, so now I feel like the pressure is off, and I train because I like it.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I voted for "other".

Speaking honestly, the martial arts have been a part of my life since I was very young. They are definitely part of my identity as a person, and one of my most genuine interests in life. However, I had to vote for "other" because with the exception of two FMA classes (Thank you Carol!:asian: Guro's May and Mike as well) after many yeras off physically, I have not physically chambered a punch or kick in many yeras. With that said, I have never really "left" the arts either. I have always, even to this day, "studied" in one manner or another, and I always will.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've "set one cup" aside & picked up another cup, at certain times in my life. I discovered that my instructor had given me a bogus certificate for 2nd Dan (he claimed it was ITF). I was humilated by a 9th Dan who pointed out the problem. I set down my TKD cup in formal classes & picked up boxing & full contact rules kickboxing. While I still did forms on my own, it was awhile before I put on a dobok & went into a formal class again.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I'm with you here - it doesn't matter how hard it gets or how frustrated i get at times, it informs too much of my life to give up on it. I'm just coming back from injury at the moment, i've had the last 3 months on the sideline with a bad knee problem and it's just been killing me! Imagine being out for months more, years etc? No way!

One or two more weeks only and then i can go back to training!!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have considered taking up another style or reducing my training activety, but not quitting. I do not think that I could.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not Silat, but when I did Muay Thai I always considered quitting sometime during the second day of Ajarn Chai's seminars. Of course, so did everyone else...

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No I haven't. For a few weeks, once or twice a year I will train in one style only. During this time I will train for only a few hours a week. Since I own a school I cannot cut back on my teaching.
:ultracool

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had one of those real bad days where everything I did was wrong..I was ready to chuck it ALL..Police work, MA, teaching and even MT..

Latest Discussions