Have you ever considered quitting your MA(s)?

Do you ever consider quitting your MA(s)?

• Never

• Rarely

• Once in a while

• Periodically / irregularly

• Regularly

• Have quit / came back

• Have quit / still out

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've never considered quitting. I abandoned one art but I was always looking for another one that suited me more so I reckon that's not quitting. Now I've started i don't ever want to stop.

My motovation is my fitness levels, the fun I have, the sense of belonging and family and the great friendships I've made with other people in my club.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've had to switch primary arts at one point due to a move. Because of a crazy schedule, I can sometimes be erratic in getting to classes lately, and there have been points when I have been away from classes for a few months at a time. Even at those times, I continue to train solo and have never really had the intention to quit. But life often has a way of making it difficult to get into a good routine sometimes.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I chose quit then returned. I got sick of all the politics in my old org. I took off a month after my son was born then started to look for a new place to train. The 3rd try was a charm. I switched to Kempo from Shotokan and I have not regretted it for a minute. :ultracool

-Marc-

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually trying to decide if I want to stay at my kwoon or not right now. I love my Sifu, but the core dynamics of the school have changed considerably since I first started. There was such a comradery between us in the beginning, a bond that started with kung fu but was much deeper than that. Any of us at any time would have the other ones back.

Right now, there are a bunch of students who have gotten "too big for their britches". They've kind of got this "if you aren't here everyday then you aren't serious about kung fu and you don't belong here" attitude. Myself, along with quite a few other students just don't have the time to come everyday. We make it when we can. Sometimes thats once a week, other times it can be 3 times a week. Sometimes none at all.

The bad part is that most of them are "newbie" senior students, meaning they haven't been senior students for that long (maybe a year or so). I'm also a senior student, btw.

Its kind of put a major rift in the social atmosphere of the school. Some people have stopped going on a regular basis because of this (I am one of them) and it just all so damned depressing.

In the past, what motivated me to NOT quit was the family aspect of the school. Feeling like if I wasn't feeling well emotionally or physically that someone would always be there for me. I just don't feel that anymore.

*sigh*

I haven't been in months and I just can't seem to bring myself to go anymore...

Sorry for the venting.

- ft

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I did consider quitting at one point initially because of a number of factors (inconsistent schedule, feeling out of place, etc) and I didn't really understand what's my reason for doing martial arts. I also will say I wouldn't have quit totally but rather I would switch to another style or school.

Maybe it's too early for me to assert that martial arts is integrated into part of my life now, but I certainly do think that even if one day I grow to be less motivated or committed to learning martial arts, I will still attempt to learn one art or another somehow, just for the sake of knowledge, fitness and keeping myself busy and away from being a couch potato.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never considered quitting my training and practice, but there have been imes I have considered quitting instructing. I am motivated by my students and My Wife.

Interesting twist on your story for me, Searcher. Due to serious injury a few years ago I had to quit large, structured classes (can do privates or irregular small classes), but replaced them with teaching. Love it--and hate it, but can't live without it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had one of those real bad days where everything I did was wrong..I was ready to chuck it ALL..Police work, MA, teaching and even MT..

Hey Drac, hope today was better. We'd sure miss you here, as I know all the 'Boots' you teach would miss you there (yeah, I know they have obnoxious ways of showing it). Being really good at what you do is its own kind of burden.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Only once, after my first instructor politically removed me from his lineage (he reinstated me about two months later - still never got a reason why) I got quite bummed out. I was a 2nd dan at that point, and a group of the white belts and lower colored belts I was working with came to me and formally requested I start teaching them. Haven't looked back since, been almost 2 years.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually trying to decide if I want to stay at my kwoon or not right now. I love my Sifu, but the core dynamics of the school have changed considerably since I first started. There was such a comradery between us in the beginning, a bond that started with kung fu but was much deeper than that. Any of us at any time would have the other ones back.

Right now, there are a bunch of students who have gotten "too big for their britches". They've kind of got this "if you aren't here everyday then you aren't serious about kung fu and you don't belong here" attitude. Myself, along with quite a few other students just don't have the time to come everyday. We make it when we can. Sometimes thats once a week, other times it can be 3 times a week. Sometimes none at all.

The bad part is that most of them are "newbie" senior students, meaning they haven't been senior students for that long (maybe a year or so). I'm also a senior student, btw.

Its kind of put a major rift in the social atmosphere of the school. Some people have stopped going on a regular basis because of this (I am one of them) and it just all so damned depressing.

In the past, what motivated me to NOT quit was the family aspect of the school. Feeling like if I wasn't feeling well emotionally or physically that someone would always be there for me. I just don't feel that anymore.

*sigh*

I haven't been in months and I just can't seem to bring myself to go anymore...

Sorry for the venting.

- ft

Wow, that sucks. I'd hate to lose the friendship of my Ba gua buddies like that. Where is yr teacher in all of this? Does he realise that the cameradie (yes my spelling sucks) of his school is going down the toilet, or isn't that an issue for him?

Maybe you could invite some of yr class mates down to the park for training outside of class - at a time that suits you. It could be an alternative way to show yr dedication to training (if that's the issue and it's not just some cliquey bullcrap).

Hope things get better for you

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. I'd hate to lose the friendship of my Ba gua buddies like that. Where is yr teacher in all of this? Does he realise that the cameradie (yes my spelling sucks) of his school is going down the toilet, or isn't that an issue for him?

Maybe you could invite some of yr class mates down to the park for training outside of class - at a time that suits you. It could be an alternative way to show yr dedication to training (if that's the issue and it's not just some cliquey bullcrap).

Hope things get better for you

Thank you for your kind words. Its been a really tough decision for me.

I haven't said anything to my Sifu (yet) because we are really busy preparing for our tournament. I would rather talk to him after all the hub-bub. I know there was a meeting about it (sans Sifu), but I don't think anything was really resolved.

The reason I can't come to class as much is because I now live in DC and my school is about a 40 minute drive. Add evening rush hour and that can quickly become 60 - 90 minutes.

What was once a great thing about the school was that we didn't have clicks. We we all one family.

I am going to talk to Sifu probably after the tournament about all of this. I'm nervous as hell about it too...

- ft

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
I have considered quitting, but not because I don't love the martial arts... for stupid reasons, like I got into an argument with another student or I'm upset about something stupid. It never lasts long.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As warm ups take longer, the hips get tighter, the muscles stiffer, reaction time slows down, range is shorter and the power doesn't move the target like it used to, the thought crosses my mind from time to time. But then I think about how much I've learned and the knowledge I have to pass along. I can't imagine ever REALLY quitting. Just evolving, I guess.

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My art has worked for me since I came to it. Since I use my art quite often I have no doubts about its effectiveness so, no, I've never thought about quitting. I have, nevertheless, cross-trained in other arts to keep an open mind.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thought about it? Yes, many times.

Done it? Not really. I've usually felt like quitting because I feel burned out. Eventually I came to my senses and realized that I didn't want to quit, I just needed some kind of change. Sometimes the change was big, such as changing schools. Other times, the change was small, such as taking a week off.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have left the MA when I move to a different city and try to find a good instructor locally and that sometimes takes awhile. I left my first MA because the instructor and classmates did not see things eye to eye. I have gone through several martial arts and finally found an art, instructor, and classmates that makes a nice match. I still cross train in other arts, but I don't think I can totally quit the MA. My body needs to move. When people talk about MA my eyes light up. LOL!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I don't consider quitting. However, sometimes life forces me to take a break (injuries, finances, whatever). When things get better, I always come back...

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions