More mma bashing....

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Myth of Pressure Testing How MMA has failed the martial arts.

The blog above is the epitome of what I find wrong with the mentality of a lot of traditional martial artist. I'm not sure why so many decry the value of mma when martial artists should embrace mma. If they think the fighters are good they're welcome to fight or go to an mma gym and prove their skill is superior to mma.

Here are the blogs points:
1) mma is supposed to be a proving ground where all martial arts can test and see who's best.

This may have been the goal of the early ufc matches but it no longer is the case. Mma is a sport and ruleset and the rules vary between organizations.

2) mma sparring is ineffective because it doesn't allow multiple opponents, killing blows or weapons. It isn't realistic enough.

There are some venues that are basically mma with multiple opponents and teams you can find it on YouTube. It's a little ridiculous though. There are also weapons venues arising like sfw and some hema organizations. Do you employ deadly kill shots in your training? Against a resisting opponent in real time? Get real, you're never gonna see public death matches and no one trains this way. Mma is a specialty like boxing or a forms competition it demonstrates skill of the individual under specific settings.

3)tai chi, Silat, xing yi, bagua, and other Kung fu styles are reality based and they prepare you for every scenario.

I think we see the agenda here. The guy is a traditionalist and is obviously biased. The above systems are far from rbsd but can probably be applied with an rbsd mindset as can mma. But I doubt the majority of schools train this way.

4) mma has horribly failed as a means to effectively test the martial arts.

I'm glad the author is a fan of pressure testing but I'd like him to propose how we do test martial arts effectively. Perhaps some kind of thunderdome format?

Do I think mma is the ultimate test for martial arts? No, I don't train or really even watch mma, but it's a solid format to assess striking and grappling in all ranges. Unlike these traditionalists I can concede that everything I do isn't the best but I can and train to do some things very well. these guys need to admit mma builds fighters with good striking and grappling and leave it at that. They are fundamental areas of fighting and self defense and are a strong base to build upon.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Whatever the ufc was, Mma has always been a sport. Even if you go back to shoot fighting, vale tudo or any other version of it.

The gist of the blog is essentially this Apple has failed to be a good orange. Kind of obvious, if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever the ufc was, Mma has always been a sport. Even if you go back to shoot fighting, vale tudo or any other version of it.

The gist of the blog is essentially this Apple has failed to be a good orange. Kind of obvious, if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the gist of it. Yes I did actually read it :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem is that this guy is not TMA. His training is a style that he has developed himself based on Silat, Systema, Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Bagua and Kung fu.

He is not bashing MMA. Like the OP in the final paragraph, he is saying that MMA has its failings like any other style of training. Even the 'blog' isn't really a blog. It's a blatant plug for some very expensive training DVDs. Is his training any better? Who knows and who cares.

I don't have any problem with MMA. I just accept it for what it is, just like any other training.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that this guy is not TMA. His training is a style that he has developed himself based on Silat, Systema, Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Bagua and Kung fu.

He is not bashing MMA. Like the OP in the final paragraph, he is saying that MMA has its failings like any other style of training. Even the 'blog' isn't really a blog. It's a blatant plug for some very expensive training DVDs. Is his training any better? Who knows and who cares.

I don't have any problem with MMA. I just accept it for what it is, just like any other training.

Good point. That is the problem for me. I don't possess the knowledge to know what a TMA is actually, until I try immerse myself in a class. How easy is it to defer to what looks good, what will be considered a traditional technique over that what is taught at a MMA gym. Sorry for a stupid question, but I still struggle with the entirety of MMA training from my viewpoint. When do you lose a thousand odd year tradition?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You neglected to mention that they will show you the real way spar using drills and stuff that will functionalize your (insert not mma art here) for reality for the low low price of $250 for two DVDs.
The Art of Sparring How to Pressure Test Your Art

This is apparently their highlight reel:

Yeah, I'm not seeing alot of pressure here.

And I say this as a non mma guy.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You neglected to mention that they will show you the real way spar using drills and stuff that will functionalize your (insert not mma art here) for reality for the low low price of $250 for two DVDs.
The Art of Sparring How to Pressure Test Your Art

This is apparently their highlight reel:

Yeah, I'm not seeing alot of pressure here.

And I say this as a non mma guy.

Mmm, not so sure that I am going to rely on Ballet though. Interesting vid though :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's Richard clear, I wouldn't worry about it, he does a lot of Taiji stuff and talks a lot about Taiji too and it is not Taiji at all.

Speaking at a TCMA guy who does Taijiquan and Xingyiquan I am rather impressed by many who train MMA. Talked with more than a few in the real world that have great training ethics.

The blog above is the epitome of what I find wrong with the mentality of a lot of traditional martial artist.

By the way, that right there...... could be taken as more traditional martial artist bashing too.... might I ask you to define "a lot"

OP
M

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score

Largely I agree with you. This guy's super system is not TMA, it's a modern hybrid just like many others. But I'd say the following quote is mma bashing:

"Testing yourself under pressure is essential and training your skills against opponents who are trying to counter you is important.

MMA sparring is just a horribly ineffective way to do this."

Saying mma is a horrible way to test yourself under pressure certainly sounds like a negative opinion of mma and I'd call it bashing.

OP
M

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's Richard clear, I wouldn't worry about it, he does a lot of Taiji stuff and talks a lot about Taiji too and it is not Taiji at all.

Speaking at a TCMA guy who does Taijiquan and Xingyiquan I am rather impressed by many who train MMA. Talked with more than a few in the real world that have great training ethics.

By the way, that right there...... could be taken as more traditional martial artist bashing too.... might I ask you to define "a lot"
It's only bashing the TMA guys that don't see the value of mma and sport systems as a whole. I consider myself a TMA guy as I train a "traditional" Filipino system. In my circle there's a lot of infatuation with deadly techniques for the streetz and a fair amount of sport bashing.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if the guy in the article wants MMA to go away, or wants the general public to buy his silliness, all he has to do is step into an octagon and prove the effectiveness of his system against some MMA fighters. There isn't a promotion in the MMA world that would turn down a TMA stylist trying to prove his style against MMA. If he can pull it off, he'll be a very wealthy man, and a hero to millions of practitioners.

He's never going to do that though, and we all know why.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That article is just typical TMA nonsense.

Also could be taken as TMA bashing..... why can't we just get along..... go after the source, not the styles he claims to teach. And for the record he also claims to be more than TMA

Self Defense Master of the Year 2007
USA Martial Arts Hall of Fame
  • Sigung (Senior Teacher – Red Sash)
    Old Hand Shao lin and Internal Kung Fu Advanced training received from China’s “old Masters” Living Treasures in Mainland China 1993 & 1994
  • Master Practitioner of KUN TAO SILAT de Thouars
  • Master Practitioner of Pentjak Silat
  • Sigung (Senior Teacher – Red Sash) Tai Chi and Chi Kung
  • Si-Tai-Gung Street Kung Fu (Founder and Head of System)
  • Certified Instructor of Russian Martial Art Systema by Mikhail Ryabko and Vladimir Vasiliev as of may 2003
\

And if you want to get technical there are no belt ranks in TCMA so his Red Sash in Tai Chi and Qi Gong say he is not a TCMA person

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that we can all agree that the original article/blog post/advertisement was casting MMA in a negative light. It just seems like we should be careful characterizing this as "just another TMA" guy. I don't get the impression that this guy's nonsense can be laid on "TMA."

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also could be taken as TMA bashing..... why can't we just get along..... go after the source, not the styles he claims to teach.

Because its the same song and dance regardless of the source. It's the typical TMA response to the "threat" of MMA. Which frankly just boils down to TMA schools losing business to MMA gyms. What clowns like this don't understand is that the REASON people are moving away from TMA styles to MMA gyms is because they're simply smarter consumers.

Also that vid was terrible. If that's the highlight reel, I shudder to think what a typical class looks like.

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There will never be a reality based self defense system until a hardened thug decides to market his own original martial art based off of his real street fights. Either that, or a Rambo-like survivor gets out of the battlefield and apply his aggression into the beautiful capitalist USA through his own brand of martial art.

The odds of a savage killer having the mental capacity to efficiently run a legitimate business in a civilized country is zero.

The closest thing to that is whatever they teach in the military... Which is basically MMA.

Lol... The way I see it, the only difference between sport combatives and military combatives is the inclusion of weapons and the very slight addition of dirty tactics.

You want an effective system? Legalize knife usage in a Vale Tudo competition and there it is... RBSD.