Has anyone received a new Kukkiwon certificate with Taekwondo on it?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just received my new certificate from Korea and it was dated 20 January 2011, but no mention of Taekwondo on it. I knew the initial run didn't have it mentioned, but I thought (from the mookas article showing the new certificates) that the new ones would have.

I guess it either isn't changing after all or I mine was printed on an old certificate.

It doesn't really matter either way (it's just a piece of paper) but was wondering...

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only new one I've seen was an 8th dan cert. I don't remember specifically what it said.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The new certs are really plain looking and not as nice as the old ones. But the new cards are pretty cool. A couple of 1st dans at our dojang just got theirs.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The new certs are really plain looking and not as nice as the old ones. But the new cards are pretty cool. A couple of 1st dans at our dojang just got theirs.

I agree with both points. The printed side of my card seems a bit faint, but the non-printed side looks really nice. Personally I prefer a really traditional looking/asian style certificate - the new ones look more sport than martial art.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with both points. The printed side of my card seems a bit faint, but the non-printed side looks really nice. Personally I prefer a really traditional looking/asian style certificate - the new ones look more sport than martial art.

I showed the new certificate to a non-taekwondo person in my office and he said it looked like a calendar, not a martial arts rank certificate.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I remember I'll post mine up when I get it for you guys to compare. I'm in Canada but IIRC that doesn't make a difference.

EDIT: Hey, green belt! If only real promotions were this easy...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, to answer the topic question, no, strangely the word Taekwondo does not appear any where on the new Kukkiwon dan certificates, in english or in korean. I do not understand that.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, to answer the topic question, no, strangely the word Taekwondo does not appear any where on the new Kukkiwon dan certificates, in english or in korean. I do not understand that.

That's what happens when you pay marketing design "consultants" to think for you.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

I know it's due to be, there's a picture of the new-new certificates on mookas and they show the word Taekwondo. Obviously though that's just a mockup rather than the finished product...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know it's due to be, there's a picture of the new-new certificates on mookas and they show the word Taekwondo. Obviously though that's just a mockup rather than the finished product...

Are you sure about that? Those might be the new prototypes, and what they are issuing is the new actual certificates.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? Those might be the new prototypes, and what they are issuing is the new actual certificates.

Not sure which way round they are regarding new or prototypes, but that article came out after the first new ones were sent out.

I'd hoped they'd taken on board feedback (as I know a number of people emailed the Kukkiwon about the certificates) and added the word Taekwondo to them (rather than intentionally removing it).

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd hoped they'd taken on board feedback (as I know a number of people emailed the Kukkiwon about the certificates) and added the word Taekwondo to them (rather than intentionally removing it).

I don't think the new Kukkiwon president is into listening. That was the word on him back when he was a Kukkiwon and KTA director and now as Kukkiwon president. People advise him and he disregards the advice and goes his own way. The certificate is one example. The new logo is another. Personally, I think he is a short timer put in place to do the "wet work" and then will leave after things are shaken up. When he leaves will depend on exactly how much wet work he manages to do over what time frame. It's chaos over at the Kukkiwon, and powerful people are organizing and mobilizing against him.

By the way, President Kang is another Kyung Hee University alumni....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By the way, President Kang is another Kyung Hee University alumni....[/quote]

What is the significance of this beyond possible fraternal ties? That might certainly be enough. But I wasn't sure if there was something beyond that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The WTF President's father founded Kyung Hee University; it is the Choue family business.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the significance of this beyond possible fraternal ties? That might certainly be enough. But I wasn't sure if there was something beyond that.

I understood Korean culture placed a lot of emphasis on relationships and having the same university education, more so than fitness for position, etc.

It's more than a fraternal brotherhood in Korea.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Well, no one seems to have mentioned it lately so I just wanted to update this.

I recieved 8 of the new certificates this past week. Dated 5 Feb.

These must be the Newest Revision because they say Taekwondo.

"This is to certify the above named person has successfully completed the Taekwondo 2nd Dan promotion test by the Kukkiwon"

Then it has a RIBBON stamped/imprinted on the page, that says "KUKKIWON World Taekwondo Headquarters" with the new logo.

It also has Taekwondo in the korean written portion.

The poom certs are the same with the exception of the word POOM instead of DAN and the RED and black trim instead of just black for the Dan certs.

I have to say, I still like the old certs, but these are pretty nice. And I REALLY like the wallet cards WAY better now too.

I cant post photos here so... sorry.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
UPDATE:

"This is to certify the above named person has successfully completed the Taekwondo 2nd Dan promotion test by the Kukkiwon"

Then it has a RIBBON stamped/imprinted on the page, that says "KUKKIWON World Taekwondo Headquarters" with the new logo.

The poom certs are the same with the exception of the word POOM instead of DAN and the RED and black trim instead of just black for the Dan certs.

I have to say, I still like the old certs, but these are pretty nice. And I REALLY like the wallet cards WAY better now too.

I cant post photos here so... sorry.

Good to know. I have a couple of certs I'm waiting for and I was hoping they'd be the latest design, with the words Taekwondo.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I like the new certificates. That's not to say that I like them better than the old style, but I haven't much of a preference. I've heard it said several times, but I'm not exactly sure what makes it look more "sport" than martial art. I don't get that perception, personally. I think the calligraphy of the poomsae was a nice idea also.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was always looking forward to the color change at 6th and at irst I did not like the new certificates. I frame and hang the KKW cert's on the wall,after hanging up the new ones I have had quite a few students ask if they could get the new style to replace the old ones they have.Of course I tell them they will have to wait till they test again.
I have to say I like the way they look on the wall, I do not fear change.
The ones I have do not say TKD or have a stamp.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Interesting, it seems like the earlier ones were the prototypes and the newer ones are the ones that were shown on mooto.us. I missed getting one that says Taekwondo by 15-ish days then ;-)

I agree with this. My certificate is growing on me, but I prefer the look of the older style. I think the new wallet cards are very nice, but I'd be happy with that style (hard plastic rather than laminated paper) done in the old design too.

Latest Discussions