Hapkido Online

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am an active duty military person and a lover of Hapkido. I started in Tae Kwon Do in 1991 and I transitioned to Hapkido in 2005. My instructor is affiliated with the Tactical Hapkido Alliance out of Erie Penn. THA is affiliated with the Word Korean Martial Arts Union.

Frankly the affiliations and all that don't really matter all that much to me but I've noticed that some here keep track of it.

I mostly just want to learn as much Hapkido as possible and pass it on to my student's / friends.

Jon

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. How long has the 'Hapkido Online' been up and running?

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started it two weeks ago. It's an effort to continue training my students who have transferred to other bases. I was tired of seeing my most promising students get transferred to Alaska or whatever just when it was getting good. I plan to add content till I have fleshed out White belt to Black belt. So it's a work in progress.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am an active duty military person and a lover of Hapkido. I started in Tae Kwon Do in 1991 and I transitioned to Hapkido in 2005. My instructor is affiliated with the Tactical Hapkido Alliance out of Erie Penn. THA is affiliated with the Word Korean Martial Arts Union.

Frankly the affiliations and all that don't really matter all that much to me but I've noticed that some here keep track of it.

I mostly just want to learn as much Hapkido as possible and pass it on to my student's / friends.

Jon

Based on the emphasized text...
Welcome to the forum!

Oh, and good on You for conducting that whole Military Service Thing :)

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I had expected some to disagree with teaching online and so on. Forgive my preconceived ideas, I should remember to empty my cup. I have always felt that training at a school with a teacher is ideal and I still feel that way.

Unfortunately me and my students live and work in a less than ideal world so we do the best we can. I do try to reinforce the online training with visits to partner schools (if available), conferences, and impromptu get togethers. It's a new experiement, we will see if it succeeds.

Thanks for being awesome!
Jon

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with the project your working on. I also have taught while in the military as well as to the military after leaving the service. So I know what it is like to have someone get transferred or get deployed or they go TDY. I've made video in the past by request for those going on to other duty assignments.

Best of luck to you in this project and hope it is fruitful for you and them.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I had expected some to disagree with teaching online and so on. Forgive my preconceived ideas, I should remember to empty my cup. I have always felt that training at a school with a teacher is ideal and I still feel that way.

Unfortunately me and my students live and work in a less than ideal world so we do the best we can. I do try to reinforce the online training with visits to partner schools (if available), conferences, and impromptu get togethers. It's a new experiement, we will see if it succeeds.

Thanks for being awesome!
Jon

While I am skeptical, this is the digital age, and I'm interested to see how this experiment works our for you. I know GM Tae Joon Lee (Hwarang Do) has also recently launched an online study portion for his students/schools outside of California. Like you stated, training at a school with a teacher is ideal, but most of us don't live in an ideal world. For example, in my area there are no Hapkido schools, so this may be an avenue of study for those who do not have Hapkido schools in their town.

Anyway, welcome to MT!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bro. Have fun, we all do. :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, theres nothing especially wrong with teaching Online. Its when its made out to be equal or superior to 'actual' Training that plenty of folks will arch up.
That being said, what Youre doing is neither claiming to nor implying that it is equal or superior. You talk it up a bit, but itd be a bit silly to talk Yourself down.

Good luck

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cyriacus I have always felt it best to aim high! Thanks for taking an interest.

Today is our first brick and mortar practice since launching Hapkido Online. I have a small group meeting at the base gym, brand new white belts. I am going to try to stream it through the Digital Dojang. Practice starts at 1530 EST. I hope the base wi-fi connection is up to it, we will see. You are all welcome to attend. If you are planning to attend I recommend loading ooVoo on your computer and the latest Java update. Links can be found on the Digital Dojo page.

Since this is our first try I have low expectations but hopefully it all works. My equipment is pretty basic but as things develop I will upgrade so the quality should improve.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyriacus I have always felt it best to aim high! Thanks for taking an interest.

Today is our first brick and mortar practice since launching Hapkido Online. I have a small group meeting at the base gym, brand new white belts. I am going to try to stream it through the Digital Dojang. Practice starts at 1530 EST. I hope the base wi-fi connection is up to it, we will see. You are all welcome to attend. If you are planning to attend I recommend loading ooVoo on your computer and the latest Java update. Links can be found on the Digital Dojo page.

Since this is our first try I have low expectations but hopefully it all works. My equipment is pretty basic but as things develop I will upgrade so the quality should improve.
Quality of Video < Quality of what is being shown.

Best of luck Good Sir.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First welcome to MT and the Hapkido forum.

I've always tended to be skeptical of training solely by video. But that is not apparently what you are doing. As an adjunct to the in-dojo training, I think it can be useful.

Hopefully you can keep us abreast of how it works out.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome oftherd.

Think of Hapkido Online as a vital supplement for people who can't train with an instructor directly.

One thing that I insist upon is that people train in pairs, Hapkido in particular requires contact to be learned. Often you can tell by the expression on the uke's face if a technique is working.

Additionally this isn't just watching video's but a great deal of real time interaction and written tutorials.

I honestly can't say if this will work or not. I can say that I have a number of peers who are reviewing my progress (people with decades of experience) and are trying to help me figure it all out!

I believe that so long as my focus is on giving the student the very best training that I can under the circumstances many limitations can be overcome.

If it comes to pass that the site is creating martial artist of consistently poor quality I will pull the plug myself. Time will tell.

Thanks again for your interest,
Jon

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we had the first brick and mortar Hapkido Online training today and streamed it on the Digital Dojang. I was very pleased with this first day.

We were also able to fit in filming three different white belt breakaways and those have been added to the white belt pages.

All things considered it was a great start. I had fun and a pretty darn good workout. The students seemed to be enjoying themselves. The Digital Dojang also worked well. My wife was able to watch our practice from miles away.

We started with stances and drummed right through blocks, punches, kicks, and breakaways. What you might call an intro to Hapkido class.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the first week of training has ended and I think it went fairly well.
Both of my "students" face impending transfer in a couple of months.

As they grow to love Hapkido they have realized the importance of Hapkido Online
and having a means to continue the training from anywhere in the world. It was
interesting for me to see the realization dawn on them, at first they didn't
really get what I was doing but now it's very important to them.

They don't know that I have had scores of students just like them learn with me for a
spell and then transfer away. They are just beginning to understand the joy of
practicing martial arts and just beginning to understand the loss if they were
unable to continue.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hapkido practice and filming is coming right along. Last night I added video content to the white belt training and yellow belt training modules.

White belt filming is nearly finished. I may do reshoots later to improve the content but students (local and online) report that existing stuff is highly useful. Yellow Belt has more interesting throws and techniques than white belt. The students are having a big time!

I modified the home page menus to make them more intuitive.

Still streaming Hapkido practice Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 3:30-4:30 EST.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First apologies to those who tried to watch practice yesterday via the Digital Dojang. The gyms Wi-Fi was not playing along, hopefully today will go better.

That being said we had the best Hapkido Practice yet. We reviewed Stances, Punches, Kicks, learned so far in rapid succession. We spent time working on the finer points of executing the turn kick. We were able to record the 'Through the Door' technique and that has been uploaded to Hapkido Online along with step by step instructions of how to do it and human anatomy diagrams of the target areas.

The bulk of yesterday's practice was spent on Martial Physics. We demonstrated line of stance, center of gravity, range, movement, stability. We didn't focus so much on particular techniques but instead on the physics of hand to hand combat and the common factors that tie all martial arts together. We had a heck of a lot of fun in the process.

We had a new student from Krav Maga and I am happy to report that nothing I taught yesterday contradicted his existing teaching. I suppose truth is truth. We are getting back out there today 3:30, hopefully we can stream it to the Digital Dojang, hope to see you there.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added a training log requirement and template for students and instructors to track training. This is at the bottom of the Digital Dojang Page.

I also added better belt page mapping and a better description of how Hapkido Online works.

Filming continues at a steady pace. I think the quality of our filmwork is improving as well.

I have found a way to record digital dojo episodes but unfortunately it costs money. As of yet Hapkido Online hasn't earned any revenue so I am wary of spending more money on it. I am not looking to make money here but breaking even would be nice.

Lots of folks have expressed interest and my statistics are showing that folks are coming and watching the videos but nobody is signing up. :shrug:

Latest Discussions