How much time does a typical Hapkido class devote to kicking compared to TKD?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or that students who gravitate towards kicking and are less able with their hands join a kicking oriented school. It's a bit like natural selection, actually. It's the quality of the training that matters more than time spent, as long as it's not completley neglected.
I'm not suggesting that the school is bad. The main school I attend focuses a lot on hands, and neglects kicks and grappling. I'm okay with that, even though it has those weaknesses. In fact, I don't think it's even bad to completely neglect certain things, as long as you have a way to handle people trying to use them in a fight.

But, as far as I'm concerned the idea that if a school as a whole practices something more than others, that's what people will improve in, is not really something to be debated. That's how practice and growth work; what you practice will improve.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
But, as far as I'm concerned the idea that if a school as a whole practices something more than others, that's what people will improve in, is not really something to be debated. That's how practice and growth work; what you practice will improve.

All else equal (quality of instructions, training method) then of course. I think kicking is more sensitive to inactivity than punching. At least that's my experience.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As shown on another of the OP's thread, he's getting all his opinions and 'info' from a certain other site :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh dear so that accounts for everything.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi there. I recently learned that Hapkido was originally a pure grappling art which later incorporated kicking to its curriculum. My question is how this distribution looks nowdays? If you were to put a figure on it, how much active, offensive kicking are Hapkido students drilled in? Not just simply defensive tactics, but full-on roundhouse kicks, sidekicks etc.

Editors note: I hope it's not equivalent to the time spent joint manipulating/throwing in TaeKwonDo:)

I've been interested following this thread. It seems to me first of all that you have some real misconceptions about Hapkido. As it isn't an art you study, I suppose that is understandable. But what I really wonder, have you learned anything? You have been quick to tell us things about Hapkido, when you don't study it yourself. I don't know where you have been getting your information. If you got it from a teacher, it surely wasn't a Hapkido teacher.

Have you figured out that Hapkido, like many arts, incorporates kicks into its techniques? Do you accept that Hapkido has many kicks and applications of kicks that work well with a grappling art, but many perhaps not so well with a striking art? Can you see why when used, they are incorporated into grappling techniques, therefore they aren't easily quantified like you want? Do you accept that Hapkido, at least most schools, don't try to make themselves thousands of years old (no, Hapkido didn't originate in Sinanju either. :)). If so, you may start to learn a bit about Hapkido. I'm just not sure what good it will do you. You seem to want your own version of what Hapkido is. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been interested following this thread. It seems to me first of all that you have some real misconceptions about Hapkido. As it isn't an art you study, I suppose that is understandable. But what I really wonder, have you learned anything? You have been quick to tell us things about Hapkido, when you don't study it yourself. I don't know where you have been getting your information. If you got it from a teacher, it surely wasn't a Hapkido teacher.

Have you figured out that Hapkido, like many arts, incorporates kicks into its techniques? Do you accept that Hapkido has many kicks and applications of kicks that work well with a grappling art, but many perhaps not so well with a striking art? Can you see why when used, they are incorporated into grappling techniques, therefore they aren't easily quantified like you want? Do you accept that Hapkido, at least most schools, don't try to make themselves thousands of years old (no, Hapkido didn't originate in Sinanju either. :)). If so, you may start to learn a bit about Hapkido. I'm just not sure what good it will do you. You seem to want your own version of what Hapkido is. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

What have I told you about Hapkido? QUOTE me please

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What have I told you about Hapkido? QUOTE me please

Ok.

I recently learned that Hapkido was originally a pure grappling art which later incorporated kicking to its curriculum.

Several screen performers in Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies were Hapkido masters, yet famous on the silver screen for their kicking dexterity, which surprises me given that the emphasis is on grappling

How was the sparring arranged given that it's a hybrid art

I say it's a hybrid art simply because two distinct forms of fighting are intermixed in one style. Regarding the kicks, both Karate and Taekwondo took their kicks from Shaolin Kung Fu, and Hapkido was probably no different. It all stems from the same source.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are uncontroversial, historical facts. I have never claimed any personal, technical knowledge about Hapkido, other than that our grappling in TKD is from a Hapkido master who befriended Hoi Chong Hi.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those are uncontroversial, historical facts. I have never claimed any personal, technical knowledge about Hapkido, other than that our grappling in TKD is from a Hapkido master who befriended Hoi Chong Hi.

I debated whether to select funny or disagree, both apply. How about some of your sources? And who is Hoi Chong Hi?

MasterArtMason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there. I recently learned that Hapkido was originally a pure grappling art which later incorporated kicking to its curriculum. My question is how this distribution looks nowdays? If you were to put a figure on it, how much active, offensive kicking are Hapkido students drilled in? Not just simply defensive tactics, but full-on roundhouse kicks, sidekicks etc.

Editors note: I hope it's not equivalent to the time spent joint manipulating/throwing in TaeKwonDo:)

We only do about 20 percent kicking. Plus over the years the kicks have gotten much lower and more direct. In Canada a lot of Hapkido master road the wave of TKD in the 70's and so really got into kicking.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only do about 20 percent kicking. Plus over the years the kicks have gotten much lower and more direct. In Canada a lot of Hapkido master road the wave of TKD in the 70's and so really got into kicking.

My GM told me that most of the older GM preferred lower kicks; faster and more likely to connect. That was also how my GM preferred, but he taught a variety of high and spinning kicks and defenses for them.

MasterArtMason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My GM told me that most of the older GM preferred lower kicks; faster and more likely to connect. That was also how my GM preferred, but he taught a variety of high and spinning kicks and defenses for them.

As I was growing up in the arts we did all the fancy stuff. My hips hate me today from it. LOL.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my Hapkido classes, we've done kicks once.

This is, however, a specialized class at a Taekwondo school, so we get plenty of kicking practice at the school, just not in hapkido class.

Jin Mu Kwan

White Belt
Reaction score
In our school (Jin Mu Kwan) we practice the kicks that founder Choi Yong Sul taught to his disciples always and they are used as our warm up! We also use them in our techniques as a student is able to deliver safely.
BTW-Choi did these from the beginning, they were not added by others or taken from Korean arts after his return!

Latest Discussions