How much time does a typical Hapkido class devote to kicking compared to TKD?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where did he say it didn't depend for the Judo schools?

He said that it depends on the TKD school if they punch/kick better, but apparently not the Judo one if they throw/grapple better.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
As many others here can attest, I've said as much about Judo schools many times.......:rolleyes:

But you didn't in the comment posted. That was why I was curious how it is that it only depended on the TKD school.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
And?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

He took your comment to mean that there are TKD schools that focus more than 50% of its training on hand techniques, which it didn't. The other quote is not even worth adressing, it's a speculative claim how things "might be" in some ultra traditional, old-school TKD dojang, not a definite claim.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He took your comment to mean that there are TKD schools that focus more than 50% of its training on hand techniques, which it didn't.

Yes, it did. There's at least one, and there are many many more schools where poomsae techniques form the majority of the training.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it did. There's at least one, and there are many many more schools where poomsae techniques form the majority of the training.

Some obscure school located in South Korea? I know of no Chang Hon school focusing exclusively on forms. But maybe KKW is different.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fun fact: The American TaeKwondo Association (ATA) reportedly dropped the Chang Hon forms because they deemed it had too little kicks in them, especially for the coloured belts patterns.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No because of what I just wrote. TKD instructors do take into account the fact that forms are very hand oriented and to make the art distinctly Korean then spend a majority (not all) of other drills with kicks. This is how it should be as well IMO
Wouldn't this suggest that a lot of it is the emphasis the school places that determines the strengths/weaknesses of the school? Since the curriculum could say 80% hands, but you focus on the 20% kicks, and that makes a TKD school like the one most of visualize as TKD. Or the school could focus on the 80% hands, and it would barely be recognizable as the same art.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some obscure school located in South Korea? I know of no Chang Hon school focusing exclusively on forms. But maybe KKW is different.
Never said exclusively. Plenty of them in Europe.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't this suggest that a lot of it is the emphasis the school places that determines the strengths/weaknesses of the school? Since the curriculum could say 80% hands, but you focus on the 20% kicks, and that makes a TKD school like the one most of visualize as TKD. Or the school could focus on the 80% hands, and it would barely be recognizable as the same art.

If you saw me hit mitts, you would probably deduce that my club drills punches a lot. Well, it doesn't. I just have always had good, explosive hands.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you saw me hit mitts, you would probably deduce that my club drills punches a lot. Well, it doesn't. I just have always had good, explosive hands.
Did you quote the wrong post? I'm failing to see how that relates

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you quote the wrong post? I'm failing to see how that relates

Emphasis does not necessarily determine a schools strength and weaknesses as it relates to the students proficiency. I was still however curious to know how Hapkido schools operate

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emphasis does not necessarily determine a schools strength and weaknesses as it relates to the students proficiency. I was still however curious to know how Hapkido schools operate
I wasn't saying a students proficiency, I was saying what the school focuses on.

But, I'm average, if a school spends more time kicks, the students will be better at kicking. If it spends more time on punches, the students will be better at punching. Ignoring anomalies.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
But, I'm average, if a school spends more time kicks, the students will be better at kicking. If it spends more time on punches, the students will be better at punching. Ignoring anomalies.

I guess I'm the exception on the negative side as well, because I have trained in a TKD school with 90% time spent on kicking and I was just as bad at those types of extravagant kicks back then, as I am in my current school with 50% spent on kicks. And my static flexibility was equally poor.

Last edited:
OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't saying a students proficiency, I was saying what the school focuses on..

What? if a school focuses more on punching, then what? What do you mean by weakness if not what is reflected in the students? How could a school be weak in and of itself? It's just an institution?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What? if a school focuses more on punching, then what? What do you mean by weakness if not what is reflected in the students? How could a school be weak in and of itself? It's just an institution?
One student can be good at punches, while the majority of the school is not. If that's not a focus, that would mean the school is probably weak in that area. Not that the school is weak, but that part of it is weak.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
One student can be good at punches, while the majority of the school is not. If that's not a focus, that would mean the school is probably weak in that area. Not that the school is weak, but that part of it is weak.

Or that students who gravitate towards kicking and are less able with their hands join a kicking oriented school. It's a bit like natural selection, actually. It's the quality of the training that matters more than time spent, as long as it's not completley neglected.

Latest Discussions