Hands Down

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I originally came from a Go Ju Ryu background and in the years after my Aussie rules football days studied freestyle karate. The traditional go ju style had a whole lot more techniques which were very beneficial when training. However the one problem I used to run into until I got tagged a few times was chambering after I punched. Out of habit with out thinking I would use the chamber even though there was a good five year gap between go ju and freestyle. Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation with taekwondo against different styles and out of habit do you chamber when you are sparring? I am heading down to check out the local TKD club in a couple of days and my hopes are high.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When you say "chambering after I punched", do you mean bringing your arm back for possibly another punch?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Hands down". IMO, Christmas.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you train punching from your guard? IMO, it's better to train as you fight (kill 2 birds with 1 stone).

1_step_3_punches.jpg

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chambering is a good thing, but you should choose where to return based on the logic of the situation. That is the only time you should choose a target to strike. Otherwise, you aren't ready. :)

OP
RowdyAz

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When you say "chambering after I punched", do you mean bringing your arm back for possibly another punch?
Yes, traditional karate and tkd from what I've seen train bringing the punching hand back to the hip. Therefore leaving an opening for a hook

OP
RowdyAz

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I originally came from a Go Ju Ryu background and in the years after my Aussie rules football days studied freestyle karate. The traditional go ju style had a whole lot more techniques which were very beneficial when training. However the one problem I used to run into until I got tagged a few times was chambering after I punched. Out of habit with out thinking I would use the chamber even though there was a good five year gap between go ju and freestyle. Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation with taekwondo against different styles and out of habit do you chamber when you are sparring? I am heading down to check out the local TKD club in a couple of days and my hopes are high.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, traditional karate and tkd from what I've seen train bringing the punching hand back to the hip. Therefore leaving an opening for a hook

When sparring however karate doesn't bring the hand back to the hip, it's a 'boxing' type stance. When it's brought down to the hip in kata etc the idea is that it has something in it ie opponents arm, clothing, even hair, which will bring your opponent onto whatever strike you want, often a knee to the face which I like.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When sparring however karate doesn't bring the hand back to the hip, it's a 'boxing' type stance. When it's brought down to the hip in kata etc the idea is that it has something in it ie opponents arm, clothing, even hair, which will bring your opponent onto whatever strike you want, often a knee to the face which I like.
In Japan, or there about, the idea was to do certain training exercises that would make the hand on the hip a good idea. The West doesn't know or do the exercises; so, Westerners should avoid the practice.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Japan, or there about, the idea was to do certain training exercises that would make the hand on the hip a good idea. The West doesn't know or do the exercises; so, Westerners should avoid the practice.

At my age and more limited flexibility these days, I like to punch, grab an arm ( or whatever I'm not fussy :D), pull down towards hip, turn and do a side kick to the underarm/rib. Hanging on gives me stability, bringing the opponent down means I don't have to get my leg up to high ( I can't get it too high these days) so it's basically old ladies karate. :D:D:D

Latest Discussions