Had my first aikido lesson/experience today.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Realy Xue why did you have to mention that? (I will admit I was a bit a bit discouraged when I I found out about the origins.)

Yes it's affiliated with him. So far I've enjoyed what I've been taught and am keeping an open mind. The sensei at the dojo is good and what he teaches is applicable and those are the two things that are important to me.
I wouldn't be at all concerned. Seagal's karate is much the same as Aikikai.
:asian:

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't be at all concerned. Seagal's karate is much the same as Aikikai.
:asian:

Thanks K-man i did realize this after doing the research on Seagul. I was originally discouraged because I'm not all in to movie star martial artist but will say he was a pretty legit Aikido practitioner before he became a movie star and do enjoy his different but applicable method of aikido.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Doppelganger

I was wondering how you were doing with Aikido. Glad to hear it is going well

Thanks Xue I will admit the hardest thing for me is learning the Japanese vocab now (at least i know the judo terminology) since my background is CMA.

I guess my martial arts background and prior teaching has helped me pick it up pretty quickly hence the belt promotion but you know me and how belts don't mean a whole lot to me but is still pretty cool.

I'm very happy with finding my sensei and the system since he teaches very well and the style is quite a bit different from all my other martial arts training so it's added quite a bit more strategies and techniques to my personal style and mind set on self defense.

I somewhat messed up my left shoulder at the seminar so i do left rolls more triangular now (its amazing what pain compliance tells your body to do). I messed it up since it was so crowded t the seminar I was reaching down and not out while doing the rolls because I didn't want my legs hitting people or walls (it sucks being tall at times) but I know ill heal up and be back to normal circular rolling some time soon

Other words training is going well ive been slowly organizing my CLF forms again while still doing my Yang Cheng Fu lineage 24 step form and learning my bagua. I still haven't learned the eighth circular palm change yet but know it will come when I can fit it in an the linear changes will be a cake walk for me to learn.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm still practicing my wing Chun techniques quite a bit and been realizing the CLF or general shaolin based arts equivalents to the WC techniques.

For instance Tan Sau would be chin Nau or Nap Sau in CLF, pak an gam Sau are covered by the poon que in CLF, jeet would be the snake poon que return in CLF, Bong Sau is a similar movement to Quan que in CLF and the list goes on and on in my head but its pretty interesting to try to find the difference but equivalence in the WC & CLF styles curriculum of techniques.

Yes I know WC is totally different compared to the more long armed circular movements of CLF but there are pretty much equivalent techniques that each style has for certain scenarios and I believe they compliment each other very well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks Xue I will admit the hardest thing for me is learning the Japanese vocab now (at least i know the judo terminology) since my background is CMA.

I guess my martial arts background and prior teaching has helped me pick it up pretty quickly hence the belt promotion but you know me and how belts don't mean a whole lot to me but is still pretty cool.

I'm very happy with finding my sensei and the system since he teaches very well and the style is quite a bit different from all my other martial arts training so it's added quite a bit more strategies and techniques to my personal style and mind set on self defense.

I somewhat messed up my left shoulder at the seminar so i do left rolls more triangular now (its amazing what pain compliance tells your body to do). I messed it up since it was so crowded t the seminar I was reaching down and not out while doing the rolls because I didn't want my legs hitting people or walls (it sucks being tall at times) but I know ill heal up and be back to normal circular rolling some time soon

Other words training is going well ive been slowly organizing my CLF forms again while still doing my Yang Cheng Fu lineage 24 step form and learning my bagua. I still haven't learned the eighth circular palm change yet but know it will come when I can fit it in an the linear changes will be a cake walk for me to learn.

Sorry to hear about the injury, hope you recover soon.

I know the vocabulary is rough, I sit there at my youngest's Aikido class and try and figure out just what the heck they are talking about. So far I am pretty sure they are counting during the warm-up :D

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
does your aikido dojo do weapons?

Were going to start another training day specifically for weapon training and we are going to also be incorporating some knife and weapon defense so we can see how difficult it is to disarm an armed assailant with out being cut or shot.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still practicing my wing Chun techniques quite a bit and been realizing the CLF or general shaolin based arts equivalents to the WC techniques.

For instance Tan Sau would be chin Nau or Nap Sau in CLF, pak an gam Sau are covered by the poon que in CLF, jeet would be the snake poon que return in CLF, Bong Sau is a similar movement to Quan que in CLF and the list goes on and on in my head but its pretty interesting to try to find the difference but equivalence in the WC & CLF styles curriculum of techniques.

Yes I know WC is totally different compared to the more long armed circular movements of CLF but there are pretty much equivalent techniques that each style has for certain scenarios and I believe they compliment each other very well.

Do you find you're able to keep your habits separate between arts?

I've only taken one class in Aikido thus far, and while my WC does tie in to some components well, I did have some habits showing up that contradicted Aikido. I found that when I took Karate, my WC was making my Karate bad, and my Karate was to a lesser degree affecting my WC.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do you find you're able to keep your habits separate between arts?

I've only taken one class in Aikido thus far, and while my WC does tie in to some components well, I did have some habits showing up that contradicted Aikido. I found that when I took Karate, my WC was making my Karate bad, and my Karate was to a lesser degree affecting my WC.

Its sometimes challenging to separate the individual arts but i do my best to learn each art as an individual art as they are intended to be learned & taught as. Meaning I focus on each arts individual structure stances & strategies and try my best to keep to the arts roots.

The only issue that I'm having in aikido is my CLF cat stance keeps popping up instead of my aikido stance but that issue has been pretty much nullified. Now i just have to open the aikido stance up a bit since I tend to end up with both of my feet on the same line.

I'm very detail orientated since I had the opportunity to teach CLF for 3 years and feel I can detail myself out pretty well especially when I have a couple senior students and the sensei there to help me along.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its sometimes challenging to separate the individual arts but i do my best to learn each art as an individual art as they are intended to be learned & taught as. Meaning I focus on each arts individual structure stances & strategies and try my best to keep to the arts roots.

The only issue that I'm having in aikido is my CLF cat stance keeps popping up instead of my aikido stance but that issue has been pretty much nullified. Now i just have to open the aikido stance up a bit since I tend to end up with both of my feet on the same line.

I'm very detail orientated since I had the opportunity to teach CLF for 3 years and feel I can detail myself out pretty well especially when I have a couple senior students and the sensei there to help me along.

I tend to be the same, but I am very much a creature of habit. I find what tends to get messed up the most for me is my stance -- weight distribution, and pivot points on the foot. I'll be pivoting on my heels in Aikido and on the balls in WC at this rate :D

Perhaps it's just a matter of really entering an "aikido" or "wing chun" frame of mind when I start my practice. Practicing them at different times of the day, and starting with the forms or basic footwork should help I think.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I tend to be the same, but I am very much a creature of habit. I find what tends to get messed up the most for me is my stance -- weight distribution, and pivot points on the foot. I'll be pivoting on my heels in Aikido and on the balls in WC at this rate :D

Perhaps it's just a matter of really entering an "aikido" or "wing chun" frame of mind when I start my practice. Practicing them at different times of the day, and starting with the forms or basic footwork should help I think.

I always start with footwork and stance training after I do my stretching and warm ups. The key thing is just be aware of your stances and weight distribution while you are doing the techniques I alway take the time to correct my final stance after each technique.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Check out this video on YouTube:

Sent from my iPhone

A small video my sensei put together what do you guys think

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kman Im really enjoying the new style and do find the way my sensei teaches it to be very applicable.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying it. Now I just with my phone would load that video!

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just an update on my aikido training and how it's going.

I have myself a tendon bruise on my left elbow while working on my STI rebuild then did some martial stupidity by going to class and allowing joint locks to be done to it. Its healing up but I will be only allowing people to lock the right arm so I don't inflame the injury.

I will be purchasing the aikido weapons soon since we will be starting a weapon day at our school which I'm very excited about.

Otherwise im on track for another rank test that should be in December. The test is nice but im really just going to learn new material which I do every time i go to class.

Overall aikido is improving my small joint locking techniques, throws and falling techniques so im very happy I found this school and a combative method of aikido.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So I figured I'd update my progression in aikido since it's been about 2 years since starting it.

I'm at the 4th Kyu rank now so still a noob that's just enjoying the training.

The footwork has become allot more second nature which has created allot less brain farts.

My breakfalls and rolls are allot more refined even though my left side still gives me brain farts at times on certain throws.

I'm feeling allot more comfortable with the joint locks and have stopped pulling up on my partners arm during the break fall portion of applying kotegaeshi. It was a habit I had from judo since we'd pull up on the sleeve to help rotate the uki during the throws.

I've been picking up some of the finer details of the joint locks as well which has improved my kung fu chin na techniques greatly as well.

My Sensei also switched dojo locations so we're now training at a dojo that has an established judo and bjj student body. Once my hip flexor injury heals (hiking accident) I will be participating in the grappling where I will be trying to incorporate the aikido wrist locks in to my prior grappling knowledge. I have allot of ideals on where I can possibly apply the locks at and ofcourse I will be using caution when applying them since people might not realize what's going on since allot if grappling schools leave wrist locks on the side burner.

The boken work is still not my cup of tea since I prefer Chinese weapon work but I see how boken work develops finer details of empty hand techniques.

Well that sums up where I'm at and I will say I'm actually hooked on aikido now so I'm in it for the long run.

Two other cool things in my personal training is I might consider starting a small CLF kung fu training group since I've friended a sifu that's a few hours away. He was asking why I don't start a small group and I'm really considering it now. I also found a lcal tai chi/xing yI/bagua sifu that I've been having ocasional lessons with. The CMA sifu has given me some valuable footwork and stance exercise that has helped all of my martial arts greatly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
This comes from Steven Seagal?

Maybe I heard wrong but I thought the term Tenshin simply applied to the style taught at a specific Dojo in Japan and that Segal simply studied at that Dojo. I could be wrong but that was my understanding.

Latest Discussions